Author Topic: Please can you help with my GREIG family ?!  (Read 19121 times)

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Please can you help with my GREIG family ?!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thank you everyone, for all the input you've given me.  I appreciate it...

Well, Jean, if I could find the right James's, I think there would be a good possibility of getting their Birth Certificates here in Scotland.  We have the 'Old Parish Records' which go back quite a long way... In fact I have a Birth Certificate for one of my rellies dated 1737.  And I suspect I'll get back a bit further on that line (if I ever get time to go back to it!  ::)  Though if James (Jr.) was born in England, then yes, I may have a problem!  But at least if I knew that that is where James Jr. was born, I'd feel I'd gotten somewhere!  Luckily, I can go past him to James Sr., who I'm pretty sure was born here in Scotland - but WHERE is the question!!

Yes, I got Susan's name from her Marriage to James (Sr.).  But as it's from the Old Parish Records, it isn't in the accepted form that Certificates took when the formally written and standardised records began.

It simply states:  1842 (Kinneff & Catterline...  "Greig & Philip:  James Greig and Susan Philip both residing at Harrieston in this Parish were proclaimed for the third time on the twenty fourth of December."

I don't know about the pre 1855 Gravestone Index.  Could you tell me where to find it?

I THINK I have the right Susan Greig on the 1851 Census but of course, I could be WRONG!   ???  (It's been known!  ;D )  However, the Parish of Harrieston is the same as that on their Marriage Certificate, she has a son, James, who's age tallies with James Greig Jr.  and this Susan's James was born in Kinneff, while according to the 1871 Census, James Greig Jr.'s birth is also Kinneff (and not England as I thought MIGHT be possible, though that was only ever a 'perhaps' as he was living in England when he came back to Scotland to marry Mary Mowat.)  Also, James Jr. married Mary Mowat in 1866 and according to the Marriage Certificate, James Sr. was deceased at that time. 

Soooo... it seems to indicate that this IS the likeliest 'Susan' and family.  I've been trying to find the family on the 1861 Census and have found about 9 'could be's'!!  :o

Anyway, that's where I am at the moment.  Thanking you all for the continued help!!  I do appreciate it!!

Kate.

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
That was a FABULOUS piece of luck, Mary Ann!  Oh for HALF your luck!  ;)  Seriously, that's GREAT that you found someone that you could compare notes with!  :D

I have found rellies through working on another branch of my Family Tree and it's great having someone to talk things over with, work out dates, etc. (in fact I'm meeting up for the first time with one such distant relative on Friday when we are going 'rellie hunting' to find our common ancestors graves!  ;)

But I've not found anyone who is working on/looking for the Greig family.  Hence my hoping for some assistance through Rootschat.

HOWEVER, perhaps there is someone somewhere working on it too, who isn't a 'chatter' yet! (*I* wasn't, until two days ago!) So I shall continue working on it and hopefully will be ready the day that that 'chatter' comes looking for some assistance!  ;)

Kate.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 23 August 07 01:03 BST (UK) »
Well are you sitting down. I found five cousins in March on Ancestry.com. I noticed someone had the name of my uncle (my dad's youngest brother) and his wife on their tree so I contacted them. One of my newly discovered cousins knew our Great Grandfathers name (I didn't) and his wife's maiden name. So I was able to find them.

Everyone says I should buy lottery tickets ;D

I was just helping someone else today and she has had the same experience on Ancestry. There is someone with the same family (different limb) in their tree. She has tried contacting them but on luck.

Just keep plodding on and look under every stone ;D

Mary Ann
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 August 07 11:45 BST (UK) »
Kate,

I'm too in Scotland and stay in Benholm, quite near to Catterline, I know the parish records in some areas are better that others, but some don't have any records at all hardly. So, when I'm speaking of "certificates" I mean the statutory records when it became lawful to record birth, deaths and marriages  i.e. in 1855 (1837 in England). Before that date there was no legal requirement to record the events and was dependant on the minister, in some cases only the wealthy had their events recorded.

I thought that you had got Susans surname from her sons marriage certificate, if not ,then I think that is the way to go.

The pre 1855 grave stone index can be purchased from
http://www.scotsgenealogy.com/acatalog/Kincardineshire_MI.html or it is available in the local library. I recently had it from the library and was offering look-ups, perhaps you could ask for a look-up, I know that bervonian visits the library quite often and I'm sure he will not mind doing this for you.

Jean
CENSUS INFORMATION IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM
WWW.NATIONALARCHIVES.GOV.UK

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Ogilvie/Ogilvy                 Lee
Mitchell                           Gwynne
Davidson                        Evans
Eggie                              Felvus
Leighton                         Rowley
Craig

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 23 August 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
Kate,

I forgot to mention "Harrieston" is not a parish it is a farm, please see link to map.
http://leisure.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/leisure/products.jsp?xvalue=386500&yvalue=778500&q=catterline&zoomindex=3&regionkey=GB&minx=0&maxx=0&miny=0&maxy=0&placename=Catterline&publisher=allpub

I hope that you eventually, find who're you're looking for.

Jean :)

Researching my family in and around Kirriemuir, Angus and Rotherham, South Yorkshire.

Craig

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 23 August 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Jean...

Many thanks for all that helpful info.  I hadn't heard of the 'Gravestone Index'... So that might be very helpful!  Sorry - I misunderstood you when you were talking of 'Certificates'... I realised that not all BMD's were recorded pre-1855 but I did HOPE that there might some record of James's Birth somewhere.  You're right, though - some areas had better records than others.  And it may be that James's Birth was not recorded at all - he was only a Ploughman after all (which is good enough for ME!).  So I'm thinking that his parents might have been land workers too and the birth of their child wasn't considered important.   >:(

Well, actually I got Susan's name from BOTH James and her Marriage Certificate and ALSO James Jr.'s Marriage Certificate, which pretty much confirms that Susan does indeed seem to be his mother.  And with the 1851 Census record, that too seems to confirm that this lady Susan is the right Susan.  However, unfortunately none of it really helps me to go back any further. 

I do wish that I could find records for any of the three of them.  My Mother has really fond memories of her Grandfather, William Greig - and these James's were Will's father and Grandfather respectively.  They are so close to my mother, to me ... I wish I had more information on them.  As it is, I seem to be at a standstill with this family now.

I SHALL go and investigate that 'Gravestone Index' though! Even if I could find the gravestone, it would be something.  I couldn't find "Herriestown" on the map - just Harvieston.  I wonder if that is a misspelling on the Census form?  Or maybe I'm just not looking hard enough!  I'll go over and have another look! 

Benholm, eh??  I've passed through there MANY times!  :)  My son & his fiance live in Peterculter so we are up and down the coast fairly often! (I stay in Arbroath) What a pretty place to live!

Thanks very much Jean, for your assistance and explanations.  Everything helps!

Oh Mary Ann - you have the luck of the devil!! Hehehee... Hey, could you buy ME some Lottery tickets?  Not being lucky by nature, perhaps I might stand a CHANCE of winning something then!   ;D

Yes, I intend to keep at this problem, with this family. I just HATE to be beaten! 

Many thanks, everyone
Kate.

Offline JEANP

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 August 07 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think it's been mis-spelt or mis-transcribed and is Harvieston.

Sorry to keep harping on about this, but on James Jnrs marriage certificate, doesn't it say if Philip is her "ms". Usually, if it is her maiden name then it would say "ms" and if it was a former married name it would say "formerly".

Jean :-\

Craig

Offline vhmsf1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 August 07 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Jean...

Sorry not to reply sooner - have been away for a day or two.

Yes, it does say m.s. so 'Philip' is LIKELY to be her maiden name.  I did think so but was considering all possibilities.  I know that mistakes are made on records.  (One of my rellies is recorded as single - there is record of his marriage and his 8 kids!).  So I thought I should consider that this record MIGHT be wrong and that it MIGHT be a previous married name. 

But even trying all the permutations, I can't seem to pin down her Birth Certificate and unfortunately, her Death Certificate does not list her parents names either...  'Isles' has very kindly checked the MI for me and - nothing doing! NUTS!  >:(

Is this the end of the road? ...*sigh*...   ???

Not till I am 100% sure I have exhausted ALL avenues!  >:(

I wish I could put 'Completed' in the Subject Line but I am going to leave this open in the hopes that someone SOMEWHERE knows something about these people and can kindly shed some light on this sticky little problem!  Meanwhile - Thanks for all your help, folks! If you can think of anything else I might try, I'd be really happy to listen to your ideas.

Best wishes,
Kate.

Offline forthefamily

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 August 07 02:48 BST (UK) »
No it isn't the end of the road. You just have to put her to one side until something shows up. She's on your "to do" list. I have a heck of a lot of people on my "to do" list ;D

I wonder if there is any history about the farm to be had. Remember JEANP's comment. She said it was a farm and not a parish? I thought that was very interesting.

Sorry ;D I tend to go off in tangents and I find neat stuff. It all adds to the family history.

Good luck in your quest...and hey it's me wishing you good luck ;D ;D ;D ;D Maybe some of my Irish luck will rub off on you.

Mary Ann
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Inishowen: Meenamullaghan (Big Hill), Foffenagh (Rock), Illies and area...mainly McCallion, Doherty, Bradley, Grant, Devlin
Kilmacrenan: Gortnacorrib....Bonner
Scotland: Bonar, Boner Bonner etc
Conwal: Kirkstown.....Toner, Parke
Derry City: Bonner, McGowan, McGilloway, McElwee, Bradley
Omagh: Bradley
Fanad Penninsular, Donegal.....McBride, Friel, Fielty
Sligo: McGowan