Author Topic: "Ancestry" search engine  (Read 4155 times)

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sgt John William Hetherington 1866-1934
    • View Profile
"Ancestry" search engine
« on: Monday 20 August 07 23:02 BST (UK) »
I'm getting more than a little frustrated with the Ancestry web site, as I pay good money for the access I feel some what justified.  >:(  >:(

Is there anyone out there that has experience using it and could point me in the right direction please. I've gone to the "Learning Center" and don't see where the "how to is". There's lots of disjointed snippets that look like they are written by some techno geek that has forgotten how to think like a person with average computer literacy.

I have three gripes:
1. Their accuracy leaves something to be desired, the transcription of names and their lack of understanding of UK geography positively prevents people being found.
2. Even if you come at a search from a sideways direction the search engine produces different results. I've got a post up on the Kent board and I'm rechecking searches and I don't get the same data sets come up when I know I've put in the same information and I know that there are TWO family trees that have this particular man on them (one of which is mine) and NEITHER come up.
3. Why must I have all the US "matches" when I was very clear that the person was born, lived and died in the place I indicated. Let me move further afield if I get no where. Why do they think that they know more about the person I am looking for than I do?

How does the Ancestry search engine work? I've done the Lit review for a post graduate degree. I did OK for myself, so I'm fairly confident that I know how to research. Its not a Boolean search as far as I can make out so what is the matching order/priority? If I knew that it should help ease the frustration.

Not a happy camper
Canuc

PS
If one has taken them up on their request to provide feedback has there been a response, even as much as an acknowledgment. No, I've not had one either.
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
James, Driscoll, Collins, Murphy (all end up in Ireland far too quickly)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Harrison, Higginson, Mitchell - Sussex
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "Ancestry" search engine
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:08 BST (UK) »
Think their search engine has a mind of its own at times. Sometimes ticking the exact match box helps but last night when I searched with it no results came up even when to test it I asked for any Smiths in U.S.!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alicemaud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Canuc,

Sorry you are unhappy...be happy!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you have told the search engine where your person was born, lived and died.......how did you do that?....

The box that I click only asks where they lived.....and actually it has come up with some great finds of people that were born in England but ended up in the USA or Canada....people who emigrated that I wasn't aware had emigrated.

As far as transcriptions......Yes they are a problem for all of us.
I am English...born and raised and have been transcribing for FreeCen for a couple of years. I like to think that I know the geography of GB fairly well....however, the enumerators writing and quality of images sometimes make it impossible to determine the name of POB. Also, I do not know every town and village in Somerset...or Worcestershire...or Rutland....so I defer to other research when using Ancestry....i.e. Genuki or Old Maps.

I like Ancestry because I can sit at my computer and complain about it...instead of travelling to the records office and complaining......

If you volunteer to transcribe...you will find that it is not as easy as it looks!

Be Happy  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:25 BST (UK) »
Just to add my twopennorth - I've subscribed to Ancestry for years and would be totally lost without it.   Yes, there are often mistakes but more often than not this was down to the enumerators and some were downright dreadful.   I helped to transcribe the original 1881 Census and our instructions were to write whatever had been written - literally - even if you knew it was wrong and if you couldn't understand a word to write down what it looked like.    

Ancestry is a lifeline - the thought of going back to record offices and searching the census on film, frame by frame, is not worth thinking about.   Been there, done that.  

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alicemaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:33 BST (UK) »
Annette,

Yes.....exactly.....all transcribers are told to transcribe what they see...even if they know it is wrong.....this is because of the copywright on the images.

I was transcribing some pieces of the Birmingham census and came across a family named Owell.......I laughed because I knew it should have been Howell...but in Birmingham the H is dropped and maybe the enumerator wasn't familiar with the accent. I had to transcribe it as Owell.
I hope the family finds them.... ;D ;D ;D

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:41 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey,

In a perverse sort of way that is gratifying to know, but no less frustrating when a person won't appear that you know is in there.

Alicemaud,

I understand your point, but I compare Ancestry with the quality we see in Findmypast and the fact that they acknowledge when you contact them to suggest a different "translation" of the original document and will update their files promptly. My frustration is I don't know how it works so can't accommodate my thinking and activity to it. And, the search engine is a tad pedantic but rational and consistent.

How many miles is it I have to walk in somebody else's mochasins?  :)
I am trying my hand at transcription, slowly I am working through the minute book of the Gentlemen of the Choir of St Mary Redcliffe, Bristol.

I'm happy when I'm on this site where there are an awful lot of very lovely people all willing to give help advice and support.

Annette,
I understand the lifeline, but for me just at the moment it is going against all my research skills and work rounds. How does it work ???

Thanks for "listening"
Canuc
Hetherington (William - born England Aprox 1834 Salford, Cabinet Maker, died Dublin - Father also William born Ireland),
Wilson, Wright, Morely, Morris (Jewish blood and a name change in there somewhere, but who and when?)
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 August 07 23:44 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure what you mean when you say that you have told the search engine where your person was born, lived and died.......how did you do that?....
The box that I click only asks where they lived.....and actually it has come up with some great finds of people that were born in England but ended up in the USA or Canada....people who emigrated that I wasn't aware had emigrated.

Sounds like you are just searching on the first search page that comes up instead of under certain databases like 1901 census for scotland, etc. You can put in various search details like name, age/date of birth, birthplace, residence, etc. depending on the database.

And, yes some of the original pages are very difficult to read and mistakes are understandable but the last few days I've looked at names that are VERY clearly written and have some very different names transcribed in the index. I've had to search at least half of the people I'm looking for using first name/birthplace/age, birthplace/age/residence, etc. and go through countless records until I can find the one I'm looking for- and that's when I know the names and most of their details already.

Yes, Ancestry has some wonderful sources on it but it could be much better. As an example, 1901 and 1911 Canadian Census records are online (free) and in addition to whatever was written at the time there are also suggested corrections clearly visible but suppose that's due to people with inputting the information (and it is also checked which Ancestry doesn't seem to do).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline alicemaud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 00:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

No...I search under all kinds of screens...and have had Ancestry for 5 years.

I know of no page where I can say where a person was born, lived and died...if there is one...I would like to know about it.

All of the screens that I use have a box for where a person was born...and where they may have lived.....nothing about where they died.

Yes....the Canadian census is free on line...and has as many mistakes as Ancestry..in fact finally found my grandfather's brother on Ancestry...living in Ontario.....misspelled badly on the free version.

But...at the end of the day...you either pays yer money or yer don't....I do and am very happy with the results.....even though there are warts on it!

I am not having to rely on other people to do my look ups.

Be Happy  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Canuc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 August 07 00:18 BST (UK) »

I know of no page where I can say where a person was born, lived and died...if there is one...I would like to know about it.

I search through the advance search option reached from the home page and I go to the UK census search, again making use of the advance search. Certainly through the general search on the home page I get to state birth, marriage and death locations and specify the residences. The advanced census search gives me the birth and residency options. Both ways one has the "keyword" option.

I do all that and a man I know is in there on two separate trees does not appear today, no make that yesterday. When I found him and communicated with the other tree creator three days ago.

There is an awful lot of usefull stuff in their. My mother worked for Winterthur Silks before she was married, they wove the fabric for the HMQ's wedding dress. Ancestry allowed me to find the details of the Regent Street sales office easily. But, looking for a Sewell reli was impossible as it was transcribed incorrectly yet I presume the same person had correctly read the "S" of another surname at the top of the page and it looks exactly like the "S" written for Sewell.

Well, at least I'm getting it off my chest if nothing else.

Thanks for listening
Canuc
Sewell (Bexley, Kent)
Tench, Ireland
Hogg,