Author Topic: COMPLETED - Daniel ODELL & Rebecca Marriage Mystery  (Read 10756 times)

Offline delta

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Daniel ODELL & Rebecca Marriage Mystery
« on: Wednesday 22 August 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
My great great grandfather Daniel Odell was baptised 20.7.1811 Wadesmill, son of Daniel Odle and Rebecca.  Daniel died 1814 age 45, and Rebecca died 1815 age 32.  I have looked through parish records (and also the IGI) but can find no marriage for Daniel & Rebecca, or any other children.  I think that Daniel was probably the son of Daniel and Mary Webb, baptised 10.7.1768 Thundridge (all part of the same area).  I could find no Rebecca born around 1782.

Any ideas please?
 ???
All in Hertfordshire
Barrett
Crawley
Kefford
Jackson
Mardling
Odell
Pearman
Toms
Wallduck

Offline Beverley

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel ODELL & Rebecca Marriage Mystery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 August 07 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi, There is a marriage of Daniel ODLE to  a Reb Plaier in 1803, Littlebury, Essex from Boyds Marriage index, hope this helps
Bev
PRESTON,NORRIS,GOVEY,MARRIOTT,PAYNE - London
PAIN/E,GOLDFINCH,DEAN/E,KNAGGS,BROOKSBY,RIGDEN - Kent
OATHAM,DOWSETT,HARRIS,FRIANT - Essex & London
GROSS,GOODWYN,HANSON - Suffolk

Offline delta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello Bev

Love the picture of the penguins.

Certainly sounds a possibility.  The familysearch website doesn't seem to carry much on Essex - hence no marriage or earlier offspring.  They must have moved to Hertfordshire before my gggrandfather was born.  I think I'll try posting a message on the Essex board to see if someone can help me from there.

Thanks again for your help.

Delta
All in Hertfordshire
Barrett
Crawley
Kefford
Jackson
Mardling
Odell
Pearman
Toms
Wallduck

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 April 08 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Delta

Did you now that the Odells originated in Odle Bedfordshire! There is an Odell family website.

All my Odells are from Pirton Herts and there are many more in Hitchin Herts. The Odells seem to have two things in common 1. they were mostly non-conformists and 2. by trade they seem to be Blacksmiths. Because they are non conformist they have wonderful biblical names. I have a Uriah, a Hezikiah, a Jeptha and a Daniel, unfortunately not yours I think. My great x4 grandparents Richard Odell and Mary Wheeler were married  11.1.1743/44 in Baldock  Herts not a million miles from Wadesmill. They had a son Daniel born 1753. Both Richard and Mary died in Pirton but I don't know where they were born

Any of this link in with your Odells?

Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline delta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 April 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Benzol
Thank you for contacting me about the Odell/Odle families.  I will have a look for the Odell website but I don't  think my lot came from Beds unless it was before the 1750s.  Also they appear to have been Ag. Labs although I did find one other who was a Farmer.  The only blacksmith I found was a William Odell aged 16, a patient at Hertford County Hospital in 1891, but I have no idea whose son he was.
I think that Daniel's family came from Thundridge.  My great great grandfather Daniel was born  in 1811 to Daniel and Rebecca and the only marriage I have been able to find is the one in Essex, which is why I am trying to find out more about it.  Given the burial date and age of the Daniel who married Rebecca he would have been born about 1768 and his parents were probably Daniel and Mary Webb who had a son Daniel bp. 10.7.1768 at Thundridge (just up the road from Wadesmill). They were married in 1763 at Standon.

I am guessing my only option will be to try and arrange a visit to the Essex Archive Offices to check the marriage and any possible children born to them in Essex.  Their only baptised child from Hertfordshire was Daniel.

Thanks again for your reply.
Delta

All in Hertfordshire
Barrett
Crawley
Kefford
Jackson
Mardling
Odell
Pearman
Toms
Wallduck

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 April 08 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Delta

The Odells were from Odle many years earlier than the 1750s. Like many surnames I suspect that the first Odle was a foundling and given the name of the village where he was discovered.

I think William Odell blacksmith 1891 Hertford census was one of yours. His father was Alfred born Standon c.1842 his mother Elizabeth nee Turner born Great Hadham c.1847. There were also three younger daughters Agnes b. 1876; Alice b. 1878; Annie E b. 1880. The family lived High Cross Standon 1881 census. Interestingly Alfred's father Samuel was living with the family he was born c. 1793 in Thundridge. Alfred and Elizabeth were married Oct-Dec 1872 (Ware RD Vol 3a Page 289). Alfred died Apl-June 1911 (Ware RD Vol 3a Page 329).

William Odell "blacksmith" seems to be getting warmer. Have you found him in 1901? If he was working with/for an Odell relative that would be encouraging. Also are you sure that none of your Odells have biblical names?

Did you know that HALS @ Hertford has a very good computerised marriage index "The Allen Index". Might be worth looking there for more details of the Odells before venturing into the wilds of Essex!

Cheers

Benzol

Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline delta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 April 08 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Benzol
Not my family I am sorry to say.  Alfred was the son of Samuel and Susan Chappell (1801-1876), and Samuel was the son of George (1753-1818) and Susannah (1763-1829).  I did find a William Odell in 1901 who could have been the one who was a patient in 1891, except that he was an Attendant at the Herts Lunatic Asylum, St. Albans.

I live in Hertford so have visited County Hall quite a few times over the last six years and, unfortunately, there is no marriage between a Daniel Odell and Rebecca in the Allen Index.   My hope is that the Essex one might be correct because there was a William Odell in Bengeo who was born in Littlebury, Essex, in about 1807.  His wife and my Daniel's wife were sisters.  Unfortunately, William died in 1859.

Regards
Delta
All in Hertfordshire
Barrett
Crawley
Kefford
Jackson
Mardling
Odell
Pearman
Toms
Wallduck

Offline Beverley

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 15 May 08 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi, Just back from Essex Archives Record, Here the marriage details of Daniel Odle & Rebecca Player but didnt have the time to look for your William's christening but will try next time.

D/P 9/1/3 Littlebury
Daniel Odle of this parish bac and Rebecca Player of this parish spin, married this church by banns 4th July 1803 by C.R.Landon (curate)
Daniel Odle X his mark
Rebecca Player X her mark
In the presence of William Salmon
Regards Bev
PRESTON,NORRIS,GOVEY,MARRIOTT,PAYNE - London
PAIN/E,GOLDFINCH,DEAN/E,KNAGGS,BROOKSBY,RIGDEN - Kent
OATHAM,DOWSETT,HARRIS,FRIANT - Essex & London
GROSS,GOODWYN,HANSON - Suffolk

Offline delta

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 15 May 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Bev
Thank you so much for the information.  I am very grateful.  If you could look for William at some later date that would be wonderful - it would be nice to know whether my Daniel and William were actually brothers.
They each had 9 children and William's eldest son was also called Daniel, born in 1834. Daniel's firstborn was James who was born in 1836.  He married William's daughter Jane in 1863.
I really do appreciate your help.
Regards
Delta
All in Hertfordshire
Barrett
Crawley
Kefford
Jackson
Mardling
Odell
Pearman
Toms