Author Topic: Do you have records in your tree as accurate as this?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Do you have records in your tree as accurate as this?
« on: Wednesday 22 August 07 16:22 BST (UK) »
Well it is not in my tree, but it must be in someone's.

The first entry for a baptism in the period following the restoration in Croston, Lancs reads:-

6th July Tho' second son of John Ridley of Croston borne the 1st July 1661 at 6 o'clock in afternoon

It must have been such a wonderful event to be able to write "Christenings" in the register without fear of prosecution that this wonderful extra detail was entered too.

Assuming that clocks were accurate to the nearest hour, this means that someone out there can give the time of birth of one of their ancestors to an accuracy of better than one part in three million!
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have records in your tree as accurate as this?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 17:07 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother's birth certificate gives her birth as being at 7am on 2nd December 1843. I read somewhere once that if a timed birth is given on a certificate it is evidence of a multiple birth, but I have never found a twin for her either in the births or deaths.
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 19:01 BST (UK) »
Think this is my favourite baptism (unfortunately not a person I'm looking for):
David Campbell bapt. 4 May 1888 Crossgar Presbyterian Church, son of James Campbell and Margt Jane Cathcart, born 11 Oct.1841 "This D.Campbell spent 21 years & 43 days in the Army (4 years in England, 1 in Scotland, 13 in Ireland, 12 years & 27 days in India) before his baptism. While in the Army he was an Episcopalian having gone over from the Presbyterian Church like a great many others, when he got off he attended the Episcopal Church in Macosquin for some time, but he wrote me a letter asking me to baptise him which I did on a sincere profession of his faith. J. Smyth."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 21:28 BST (UK) »
Most of my Scottish certs have the hours and minutes of the birth/death.

Bren

Offline Comosus

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 23:53 BST (UK) »
I have a family bible which belonged to my GGGgrandaunt, which has all the dates and times of birth of her siblings, deaths of family members and birth date of her mother.  My GGG Grandfather was born at 10.30pm 18 March 1823 :)

It also has a short poem she has written about her elder sister, who died aged 18.

Andrew

Offline pennine

• RootsChat Member
  • A smile can make some ones day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
I have a relative who's death certificate not only records the date and time and cause of death due to an accident but also the exact road and place, the names of people who tried to help and even the ambulance drivers name and the doctor who treated him.

Pennine
Bell, Brodsworth, Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Bright, Eyre, Jessop, Wilkinson, Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Fielding, Lound Retford, Lincolnshire and Sheffield, Yorkshire<br />Law,  Felkirk, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Lister, Flockton, Wath-Upon-Dearne, Yorkshire<br />Mitchell, Langsett, Nr. Penistone Yorkshire.<br />Walton, Cudworth, Barnsley Yorkshire.<br />Stanger, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Yorkshire.<br />Gratwick, London and Kent<br />Fahy, Limerick, Southern Ireland

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 07 19:05 BST (UK) »
I have just been sent a newspaper clipping by a new-found relative, which is a glorified, almost full page obituary of one Septimus Smith of Blackpool (my great-great uncle), which refers to a family bible (wish I knew what happened to that!).

Apparently in that family bible, along with other births, was the strikingly precise entry for Nimrod Steventon, "born 20 minutes before 3 o'clock afternoon. March 31st, 1836"

Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk