Author Topic: Edmondson (Edmundson) of Yorkshire  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Tyke

• My email address is not working sorry
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edmondson (Edmundson) of Yorkshire
« on: Thursday 23 August 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
The main interest I have in the Edmondson is my Great-Great-Grandfather Jacob Edmondson who was born in Pateley Bridge in Yorkshire in 1798 (although on one document he says he was born in Knaresborough).

He's certainly moved to Knaresborough by 22 Sept 1819 when he married Mary Ann Natrass.  Their daughter Elizabeth was born in 1821, Ellen in 1830, Christopher Morris in 1837 and Margaret in 1838.

There are records in Leeds University Archives of letters written by the author Norrish Scatcherd to Jacob and one copy of a letter from Jacob to the author.

In 1834 he was mentioned in Pigot's Directory for Knaresborough as a Rush Matting maker of Savage Yard.  There was also a Christopher Edmondson in Knaresborough who may have been Jacobs father, uncle, older brother or cousin. Jacob was still in Knaresborough for the 1841 edition of the trade directory (and the census) as a Rug and Mat maker at Market Street.

By 1851 Jacob was widowed and living at Bowergate in Bradford as a bedding and mattress maker.  A trade directory of 1856 says the same.

In 1856 Jacob's son Arthur was born illegitimately and a year later Arthur's brother Alfred was born.  The mother of these two boys was Catherine Hines or Hinds who was Irish.  When Jacob married Catherine in 1859 the two boys took the name of Edmondson.  A further daughter Katie Selina (or Katie Helena) followed.

When the Bowergate property was demolished in the late 1860s Jacob moved his business to Godwin Street.

Jacob died in 1873 and is buried in Undercliffe Cemetery.  He left £3000 to his second wife while she lived and remained unmarried, and then it was to be divided 4 ways between his legitimate children Christopher Morris and Katie Selina and his "reputed sons" Arthur and Alfred.  Jacob's daughter Elizabeth got just £200 and his other children (if they were still alive) got nothing.

Arthur died shortly after his father and was buried with him.  Alfred has descendants in the Bradford area of whom I'm one.  Chistopher Morris became a musician and married an actress called Elizabeth Sophie Procter whith whom he had at least 4 children.  Christopher Morris is supposed to have left his wife and children - they moved to the Morecambe/Lancaster area and became oyster dealers and their decendants are supposed to still be in the area.

Love to hear from anyone else who thinks they may be related to Jacob Edmondson.