Author Topic: WW1 Medal Card - What's it all mean?!  (Read 6236 times)

Offline harribobs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Medal Card - What's it all mean?!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 August 07 17:57 BST (UK) »
KR 392 is King's Regulation 392

ie a soldier being discharged

paragrapgh xvi  (16) means he was discharged as he was no longer physically fit for duty

the refence next to the medal entitlement is the full medal roll

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
  • Ron Perry, killed in action aged 22, 06.08.1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 August 07 19:27 BST (UK) »
After speaking to my dad, it seems that we have a photo (one of those with 100s of people in!) with my g grandfather in. Underneath it says "Army Pay Office, Blackheath, July 12 1917. R,H and R,F,A." Can anyone shed any light on this? Did regiments congregate at the Pay office for these photos to be taken? Hopefully I'll be able to scan the pic and post it for some clever person to identify the uniform soon! Jo
Beilby        - Cheddington, Buckinghamshire<br />Clarke        - Hatfield, Hertfordshire<br />Dumpleton - Bedfordshire<br />Frampton   - Hannington/Swindon, Wiltshire<br />Green         - Whilton/Culworth, Northamptonshire<br />Jopson       - Haverhill, Suffolk, Marylebone & St Pancras<br />Knibbs        - Akeley, Buckinghamshire<br />Latchford   - Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire<br />Luders        - Germany<br />Perry          -Little Fransham, Norfolk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 27 August 07 22:03 BST (UK) »
R.F.A. is Royal Field Artillery. R.H. has no real meaning, perhaps it is R.A. or Royal Artillery. The Artillery have their HQ at Woolwich, directly opposite Blackheath Common. I suppose that during a war they may have overlapped into a nearby area.

Normally units were and are paid wherever they are - soldiers did not travel to be paid.  Pay parades were weekly, at their own units. An Army Pay Office would be a Command Pay office - responsible for a large number of units. It is possible that the troop concentration in the Woolwich area in 1917 was large enough for that.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 19:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I couldn't find a meaning for RH either, but it's definitely an H. Perhaps he wa sin the RFA then, not the Buffs as my nanna thinks...
Beilby        - Cheddington, Buckinghamshire<br />Clarke        - Hatfield, Hertfordshire<br />Dumpleton - Bedfordshire<br />Frampton   - Hannington/Swindon, Wiltshire<br />Green         - Whilton/Culworth, Northamptonshire<br />Jopson       - Haverhill, Suffolk, Marylebone & St Pancras<br />Knibbs        - Akeley, Buckinghamshire<br />Latchford   - Wheathampstead, Hertfordshire<br />Luders        - Germany<br />Perry          -Little Fransham, Norfolk

Offline tisgrannie

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Mum myself and Joe, 1949.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 22:20 BST (UK) »
hi there I just wondered if you had checked on the National Archives or Ancestry to see if he recieved a pension. Just a thought.
regards
tisgrannie
Gallagher/Galligan -Heywood, Oldham & Ireland
Jackson-Ashton u Lyne & Oldham
White- Stockport & Hyde
Henry-Newry, Saintfield, & Glasgow
Willis, Beattie, Montogomery & Smith - Belfast & Co Antrim
Wade & Vernon - Co. Down
Procter- Brigg, Lincolnshire & Oldham
Conroy - Ireland & Oldham
Man Regt & R A 52nd Anti-Tank Regt WW11
Ebrey-Shropshire

www..

Offline archer2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dad (3 Jul 1925 - 26 May 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 22:54 BST (UK) »
R.H. has no real meaning, perhaps it is R.A. or Royal Artillery

No, no !! ;D

It certainly has a meaning - it means 'Royal Horse' - the full phrase is 'Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery' which is used to differentiate the unit from the 'Royal Garrison Artillery.'

Hope this helps
William

Offline trachelospermum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 19:55 BST (UK) »
Aha! That sounds right (which I'm sure it is!!). That would be the Reg he was in then in 1917? I've checked the pension records and no luck so far. I couldn't find him at Kew either.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 20:38 BST (UK) »
R.H. has no real meaning, perhaps it is R.A. or Royal Artillery

No, no !! ;D

It certainly has a meaning - it means 'Royal Horse' - the full phrase is 'Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery' which is used to differentiate the unit from the 'Royal Garrison Artillery.'

Hope this helps

William

Sorry to be argumentative but there was never any such regiment.
At about 1897 to 1900 the Royal Artillery was reorganised into the Royal Field Artillery. who wore boots and breeches and the Royal Garrison Artillery who wore trousers and were, in effect, a Territorial Army with 104 batteries in 3 divisions, but they did have overseas batteries detached. Their shoulder titles denote the Division E [East], [South] and W [West] plus the battery number.

The Royal Field Artillery was further subdivided into Horse Batteries [an unspecfied number], Field Batteries 1-103 and 10 Mountain Batteries.

The Royal Horse Guards and its batteries are another story altogether. They were part of the cavalry and not of the RA. They still exist today and it is they who fire the salutes to the monarch on special occasions. The Royal Horse would never be referred to as such but by the title of their Guard Regiment - Coldstreams etc. Their guns would be the guns of the Coldstreams and their band the band of the Coldstreams.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline archer2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dad (3 Jul 1925 - 26 May 2009)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 20:57 BST (UK) »
Er.

Perhaps you should check this out.

http://www.1914-1918.net/rha.htm