Author Topic: SCOTTS of Blinkbonny, (New)castleton, 18th century  (Read 10720 times)

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTTS of Blinkbonny, (New)castleton, 18th century
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 December 08 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jane, I found the Dodgson Manuscript  and was very excited to see that your (possibly our) John Scott was married to a Margaret Nicol.   Our Isabella Scott's first daughter was called Margaret and first son called John.  Manuscript also said that they had other children, apart from eldest son Richard.    I wonder if that means that John's father was called Richard?

My 95 year old father, who started all our family research years ago, but is now blind and unable to do so, is very excited so hope you can make sense of your notes soon. 

Incidentally I sent you some more info yesterday, not by email as our machine wasn't working, but directly through the rootschat.com website.   Did you receive it?
Ngaio

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 December 08 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Reading through the Dodgson Manuscript more thoroughly, see that  John Scott married Margaret Nichol  in 1772 which sort of puts a spanner in the works as far as my theory goes.     Could he have been married prior to this maybe while he was in Scotland?  and had daughters only?  as Richard is recorded as being the first son.    He would have been about 55 yrs old when he married Margaret so it is quite likely that he had been married previously.   In the marriage records it would be interesting to know if John is recorded as widow.
Ah well  I'll just keep hoping something turns up
Ngaio

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 December 08 20:32 GMT (UK) »
From the OPRs for Rox. Only 1 John Marr in Castleton 3-12-1841 to Isabella Moore.
2 Isabels born Castleton 31-12-1749 to Charles Scott-no mother shown and one born 10-9-1808 to david scott and jean scott.
No trace of marr to Gideon Miller in Rox or Selkirk.
There is John Scott born 6-1-1841 castleton to John Scott and Margaret Nichol and there is a William born 18-8-1817 Castleton to a Walter Scott and Jean Nichol

Hope this helps the confusion
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 04 December 08 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Presume the last message was not from Jane - thank you whoever it is. 
Would  it be possible to look up any possible death notices for  Isabella Moore who married John Scott on 3.12.1841 in Castleton?  We wonder if this could have been the first wife of the John Scott who moved across  into Cumberland in 1752. 

It is also interesting  that you have found the birth of a John Scott to parents  John Scott and Margaret Nicoll 6/1/1841 in Castleton.      Our records show that John Scott married a Margaret Nichol on 1 Jan 1772 in Bewcastle, Cumberland and I am presuming that this was his second wife.   If you could find out any details of  the Margaret Nicoll from Castleton, it may solve one piece of the mystery or create another!
Many thanks
Ngaio     

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 12 December 08 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, all,
             I think my information about Blinkbonny, Saughtrees etc came from Michael Jackson too. I was introduced to a very helpful man at Carlisle RO and he kindly and anonymously posted off what he had to me.
              Firstly I have to point out that my Scott connection is a bit convoluted. It comes through my GG grandmother, Jane Angus, nee Graham, who appears in the Kirklinton baptisms thus
      1804 Feb 23rd
Jane daughter of John Graham of Newbiggen, householder, and of Ann his wife (late Scott).
So the Scotts enter into my tree at GGG grandparent level, via two ‘married ins’’
Consequently I only received Angus word of mouth and have no Scott family stories as I had no idea they existed in my tree until a few years ago:. A shame I can’t help you in this respect.,

Here is the marriage of John Graham and Ann Scott, from the same parish records
1796 marriages:
John Graham of Newbiggen in this Parish Batchelor and Ann Scott of Saughtrees in the Parish of Bewcastle, singlewoman were married in this church by Licence this fifth day of July 1796
            By me T Pattinson, Rector 
This marriage was solemnised between us, John Graham, Ann Scott
in the presence of us, William Graham, William Scott, Richard Scott, Mary Dodgson, M Pattinson, Andrew Graham, Mary Routledge, Robert Noble. (Or was that Nichol??)
Richard and William Scott are Anne’s brothers, Mary Dodgson was nee Wilson (married Thomas 5th july 1991 at Bewcastle according to the IGI found with clues from the Dodgson MS) and the sister of Ann Scott nee Wilson, wife of Richard

Ann Scott’s baptism from the Bewcastle PRs

Feb 16th Anne daughter of Jno Scott of Saughtrees and Margaret his wife
From Bewcastle parish records Carlisle RO reel 1141—personal transcription
P 31

Here is the marriage of her parents, John Scott and Margaret Nichol.
John Scott of this parish, bachelor and Margaret Nichol of the same, singlewoman were married in this church by banns this 1st day of January in the year 1772 by me ? Holme, curate
This marriage was solemnised between us John Scott Marg.X Nichol her mark in the presence of John Routlege, John Routledge
As you see the records say John was a bachelor, so this may not have been a second marriage.
Children were
From IGI
1772 baptisms
31 May. Richard  parents John Scot, Margt. Batch no CO36772
From Bewcastle baptisms reel 1141, personal transcription
1773 ( IGI has this date down as 1773 and mother’s name as Mary)
Decr 29th Jennet dau of John Scott of Saughtrees statesman and  ?? -not clear
 1775…
Aug 14th Wm son of Jno Scott of Saughtrees, statesman and Margaret, his wife
Feb 16th Anne daughter of Jno Scott of Saughtrees and Margaret his wife

John Scott died in 1799 aged 82, as you said. There is also a Richard Scott of Blinkbony (cottage) who died in Jan 1802 aged 82 according to Bewcastle MIs. From his will it would appear he is the brother of John Scott.
I hope this information is of use.
                       All the best :) :) :)
                                    Jane

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 12 December 08 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Jane for taking time to reply at this very busy time of year. 
You have answered one question - namely that John Scott had not been married before he married Margaret.
However, my very great help, Michael Jackson, tells me that there were two John Scotts who died at Saughtrees.  First, John Scott aged 87 died in 1782 which means he was born in about 1695.   Could this John have been your John Scott's father??????   Can anyone help here?
Happy Christmas everyone
Ngaio  :D :D

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 December 08 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
               I can confirm that other John Scott from my trawl through the Bewcastle PRs last summer. I can't give you the details though as I am now away from home.  :) :)
       Looking forward to reading any other replies to this thread!

Offline ngaio

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 18 December 08 18:00 GMT (UK) »
When you do return home, would you mind looking up and seeing if you have anything on the other John Scott?
Meantime happy christmas to all who read this.
Ngaio

Offline GalaxyJane

• RootsChat Senior
  • His Mistress' Voice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 20 December 08 02:44 GMT (UK) »
With pleasure. but it will be a few weeks.  As far as I remember all I have on this second John Scott is his age at death.
     Season's greatings from me too