Author Topic: Lewis Rossi Hardy COMPLETED  (Read 6761 times)

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Lewis Rossi Hardy
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 September 07 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Tilly,

Hope you do not mind but i have just rung the Funeral Directors in charge of Anna's Funeral.
They have moved since 1934 but were very helpful. They are going to look up their records and give me a ring in about a week with all the details they have. All the records are held off site.

I have done this before for other researchers and they seem to have a lot of information. Sometimes they include a draft of the death notice to be placed in the paper. As Anna died after Lewis the information will only be what the informant Knew. BUT may lead to more family members. It will tell us who arranged the funeral.

I am going to Bayswater on Sunday or Monday. ( My son is taking me and thinks I'm mad trouping around Cemeteries taking photo's of people i do not know )

Will keep in contact.

Regards
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 September 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol
Thank you very much for your message - and for your help! It would be great if the funeral directors had some info - if I can find any long lost cousins it'll be a good excuse for a trip to New Zealand!
I suppose a headstone might say "Dearly beloved father" or something......... I shall look forward to hearing from you next week, if you find anything - fingers firmly crossed 'til then!
Many thanks again
Tilly
Lancaster- L. Buzzard  Johnson - Northampts
Lancaster, Perryer-Fulham
Clifford - London, ssx, S Africa, Berks, Wilts  
Divall-Ssx  Randall-Ssx, Surrey 
Rossi-Sienna Notts Leics London   
Brimfield    Seton 
Rix - Norfolk   Burke - Co Clare

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 September 07 05:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Tilly,
O'Neills Point is a very old cemetery and not many headstones still standing.
I was unable to find the plot so have sent an e-mail to North Shore City Council asking for further instrutions.
As soon as they reply i will go back out and have another look. Hope to have some results soon.

Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 10 September 07 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol
Thank you for all the trouble you are going to - it is very kind of you.  Is the cemetery no longer in use or is it just the older parts that are run down?
Hopefully the city council will have some info...............
Thank you VERY much again :-*
Tilly
Brimfield    Seton 

Offline Infobunny

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Plant more trees!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 10 September 07 08:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Tilly,

This might be your man.  Found in the Hawera and Normanby Star, 5 November 1910, page 6.  List was posted in more than one newspaper but this was the better layout.  Probably the settlement of his estate.

DECEASED PERSONS' ESTATES.

OCTOBER LIST.

Below is a list of estates of the value of £1000 and over finally certified to during the month of October by the Commissioner of Stamps. Auckland. — Francis E. N. Cromfcie £9467, Jessie Prime £4871, Louis A. Nathan £4729, Lewis R. Hardy £4439, Charles E. Ifwerson £3743, Henry Gollan £3607, Tom Bramwell £2887, Martha Wayte- £2881, Michael Whelan £1907, Fred E. Baume £1757, Francis Kelfoyle £1667, Mary Sankey £1335, Bernard Foy £1314, George Balme £1-310, Alexander McCann £1273, Albert E. Moginis £1248, Charles Johnson £1239. '

Rich dude, then?

Cheers
Bunny 8)
Finey - Hants, Sussex, Portsmouth area
Squire - Devon
Jackson - London
Leach/Prague - India
Bourdot - N.Ireland/France
McKinley - N.Ireland
Quelch - Northamptonshire

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 September 07 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Bunny

Brilliant - maybe I have some extremely rich cousins in New Zealand..........although if this branch of the family was anything like the other "well-off" lot (they went to South Africa),  there won't be anything left - all spent on the races and loose women!!!

Thank you VERY much for the info - it is very interesting - I will print it off and add it to Lewis' folder!
Regards
Tilly
Brimfield    Seton 

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 10 September 07 22:14 BST (UK) »
Well the North Shore City Council have already replied to my e-mail ( all done outside their working hours!!!!!)
I am now awaiting a detailed map they are going to send out to me ( Will P.M. you)

I now know there was a headstone.

O'Neills Point is no longer in use. (hasn't been for some time ) You can only be buried there if you have a family plot. In latter years people were buried where ever there was space.

Carol
Hot on the trail of Lewis. ( He can not hide from Me  ;D )

and many more.

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 02:03 BST (UK) »
I will have a look tonight.

8)

Offline tilly56

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 September 07 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol and Zephyr

What can I say?! The NZer RootsChatters are brilliant!!!!

(France is rugby mad at the moment, so every day, twice a day, we see the All Blacks on the TV - the news programmes spend AGES talking about them and the other teams....they seem to be the favourites here!)

So - thank you so much for the messages -

How am I connected to Lewis? My Great-Great-Great Grandfather Edward Clifford had two daughters, Julia and Sarah, and one son. I am decended from the son. However, one of the daughters .  Great-Great Auntie( ;)) Julia married George Hardy. They had three sons, Lewis Rossi (Rossi is a surname used as a Christian name - I'm still trying to find out where it came from....a lot of the Clifford family have Rossi in their name), Dudley Clifford and Grattan Stinson  ;D (couldn't make that up!). So Lewis is my something-or-other-Cousin  - and as he emigrated, it adds a bit of interest to the family history...... Grattan apparently went back and forth to Canada on business.

If you go back to my first message, I found a Lewis R Hardy as an actor - I don't suppose he ever acted in New Zealand? I've had a Google, but can't find anything - I can't believe he made all his money from acting - he must have done something else.....although the money could have come from the father, who, I think, died quite young..............

I am really looking forward to hearing the next episode in your hunt for Lewis and Anna -

Best regards

Tilly

Brimfield    Seton