Author Topic: O'Sullivan / Sugrue / Brennan (Castlecove)  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Fulhamish

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
O'Sullivan / Sugrue / Brennan (Castlecove)
« on: Saturday 25 August 07 18:38 BST (UK) »
I am seeking information on my Grandfather, JAMES PATRICK O'SULLIVAN (Jim) who was born in Kerry about 1895.  He married a MARY PATRICIA SUGRUE at some stage and I must assume that the marriage took place in Ireland.  Mary died quite young though they had 3 children to best of my knowledge - Kathleen, Johnny and Mary.  Jim later married Annie Wicks (my grandmother) in London in 1926 which is where the family settled.

Jim's father, who I am also trying to track down, was JOHN O'SULLIVAN who married MARY ANNE BRENNAN who apparently hailed from Newry.  I understand that the family lived in the Castlecove area, which is in the RC Parish of Caherdaniel, though they later also moved to London. 

I visited the area a couple of years ago but hadn't done my homework (common error).  I found a number gravestones that might point to my family's earlier history but I have so far failed to establish that first link so if anyone out there can help I would be very grateful.

Mike O'Sullivan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Sullivan / Sugrue / Brennan (Castlecove)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 August 07 18:47 BST (UK) »
Could the family have moved around a bit? Found a birth on IGI which might be your family:
Eugene O'Sullivan born 16 March 1876 Cork, Co. Cork to John O'Sullivan & Mary Anne Brennan.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Fulhamish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 August 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response.  Kerry was always talked about as the original family home and they certainly lived there prior to moving to London in the 1920s or thereabouts (my aunt - now sadly deceased - went to school in Castlecove) but it is possible that my GGrandfather lived in Cork at some stage and the names match exactly so I will check it out.

Thanks again.

Offline frogcottage

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, just to say that this is also my grandfather (jim o'sullivan from Fulham) so I guess we are cousins. Is your father Patrick perhaps?

Offline Marie Sullivan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 December 17 20:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  Your post caught my eye.  My grandmother was Theresa Brennan, originally from Roscommon, Ireland.  She traveled to Newfoundland and married James Curtis who died shortly thereafter.  She then came to the US and married my grandfather, John J. Sullivan, who's father was Patrick O'Sullivan from Chapel's Cove, Newfoundland.  Patrick O'Sullivan, my grgrandfather, was married to Rachel Gushue, my grgrandmother.  Any chance there is a connection here?