Author Topic: Fry's Chocolate Ltd  (Read 12115 times)

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fry's Chocolate Ltd
« on: Monday 27 August 07 01:45 BST (UK) »
Could someone tell me if this   store is still around.  My Great Aunt once owned this store in and around 1920.  Thanks for any help.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Mitchell  - Fraser, Murray, Gauld, Metcalfe, Anderson,
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Fry's Chocolate Ltd
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 August 07 09:25 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that you have the correct name for the store?  Fry's chocolate were a large manufacturer taken over by Cadbury in the early 20th century.

Where did you get the name from?  If it was a photograph, are you looking at an advertisement on the shopfront which were very common in those days.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 August 07 12:30 BST (UK) »
I do believe you are correct - it is a bakery and it looks like the name is Yons Tea. Would that make any sense.  Thanks for correcting me.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 August 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
Could the "yons Tea" not be for Lyons Tea which would be another piece of advertising for a product rather than a name of a bakery. If you have the photograph to hand could you put it on the boards then others may be able to help?

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 August 07 13:07 BST (UK) »
hope this picture works.  From what I can figure the bakery was either in Dufftown or Cabrach.  Thanks for any help.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 August 07 13:47 BST (UK) »
I'm trying again, only because I don't think it came through the first time.  Sorry if I duplicate. 
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 August 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Gramma,

The picture shows, unfortunately, only advertising for the chocolate and tea and does not show the name of the bakers. Not being from the area that you are looking for I can not tell you if the shop is still around. I googled Dufftown and one of the sites makes mention of a museum but it only gives out a telephone number rather than an e-mail address (the museum's postal address is 24 Fife street Dufftown) and as well as the whisky trade it appears to deal with the social history of the area so it may be worth getting in touch with them to see if they can help in some way. sorry that I can not be of more help.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 August 07 15:11 BST (UK) »
If you look at the picture through half closed eyes there appears to be the remnants of a name in the usual place.  Try doing it with the original and also playing with photoediting software on the scanned version.  You might find something.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grammatj8

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 27 August 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
wil give that a try, and will use the address you gave me thanks to the both of you.
Johnston – Guelph
Deuchars – Scotland
Tierney – Ireland
Brubacher
Shevers – Scotland
Shand, Thain, Robson.