Author Topic: My Hampshire surnames of interest  (Read 5519 times)

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
My Hampshire surnames of interest
« on: Friday 19 March 04 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Below are the surnames of interest to me within Hampshire.

Whitear        - Preston Candover/Winchester
Mills              - Basingstoke from 1850
Marshall       - Basingstoke
Bulpit           - Basingstoke
Wise            - Basingstoke
Patience      - Brown Candover

I have a great deal of info with the Whitear and Mills names, but the others are somewhat sketchy.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re:My Hampshire surnames of interest
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 March 04 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom,

You have some interesting names Wise and Patience...

How far back are you with your research, have you managed to find them in the 1901 or 1881 Census yet?

Sarah
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re:My Hampshire surnames of interest
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 March 04 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sarah,

As I said, my info is sketchy at the moment. Ann Pateince of Brown Candover is my ggg grandmother, married to William Whitear who was the Farrier for Preston Candover in the the latter part of the 1800's.

At the moment I am spending a great deal of my time trying very hard to sort out my line from Kent. Lots of wrong ages on census, name changes etc.

Driving me nuts.

The Wise connection is on the Bulpit / Marshall side

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline Degale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My Hampshire surnames of interest
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 January 05 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom,
 I have recently discovered roots in the Hampshire, UK area. My great grandfather, William Wise, b. 1842 in Andover. Because I am totally ignorant when it comes to researching in the UK, I rely heavily on other's generous postings.  :P  William married Sarah Ellen Bunney -- I assume in Hampshire. They have made their way around having their children however, the last I found them was 1891 census in Wimbleton.
 My grandfather, Harry Miles Wise (sic Standish) became a Home Child and sent to Canada in 1899. I found him in the 1901 census of Ontario, but lost the rest of the family. I would be very interested to see your portion of the WISE line if that is possible. I thank you.
Nan
Gale, Brainard/Braynard, Strong, Stone, Osborn, Matthews, Wise, Standish, Bunney, Nendorf, Lewis, Butler

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 January 05 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nan,

Have been having a root around to see if I could find your Williams marriage for you. No luck yet.
Have you got a place and year of birth  for your Sarah Bunney from the census records you have found them on?
I have found one William Wise marriage in Newbury in 1868, but no details of wifes name.
Newbury is very close to Andover so it is a possibility.

I may be wrong at this point, but I think there are two different families of Wise distinct between, Andover and Basingstoke.

Tom
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock

Offline Degale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 January 05 16:30 GMT (UK) »
  Thank you so much for the help ...

Sarah Ellen Bunney was born in the year 1842 -- Hants, Barton Stacey, Hampshire,. William Wise was born 1842, Hants, Andover, Hampshire,. (The 1871 Census, Kensington Parish, St. John and St. James Municipal Ward, Chelsea Borough, St George District, Kensington, England
Household # 775 – No. 16 Johnson Street:),(The 1891 Census; Wimbledon Civil Parish, All Saints District, Surrey County, England
Household #585 -- #41 Heubert Road) That all came off the census for those years.
 I was so excited to find that information, it was the first my mother knew of her father's family. William and Sarah, had 4 children that I know of, Jesse - 1869, Kate - 1866, (grgrandmother), Frederick - 1878, and Florence - 1877.
 I found a marriage for William, it was a Sarah Ellen also, but a different last name and now I can't remember what it was. I considered the thought that Sarah was married previously, but I couldn't find any records to back up that idea.
 Thank you so much for trying to look for me.

Gale, Brainard/Braynard, Strong, Stone, Osborn, Matthews, Wise, Standish, Bunney, Nendorf, Lewis, Butler

Offline mikemore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 January 05 00:01 GMT (UK) »
I noticed your list included WISE in Basingstoke.  My ancestor George PRIOR m. 1856 Cliddesen to Eliza WISE d/o Sarah WISE. No father is listed. Any connection to yours? Thanks.

Offline Degale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 January 05 05:11 GMT (UK) »
My Sarah Ellen Wise hailed from Barton Stacey, also known as Winchester. She could not be the same as your's. I have just recently sent for her birth records to see her parents ... I will record in a message here as to my findings when they arrive. Hopefully, it will help another.

I did find the marriage I have in question, however. William Wise married a Sarah Ellen Goodwin, 1865 in Richmond. Surrey. I'm hoping that sounds familiar to someone out there and there is a connection. I am hoping it is the same Sarah as my Sarah Bunney.

Nan