Author Topic: Morrisroe: Roscommon  (Read 17944 times)

Offline crofton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morrisroe: Roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 May 10 18:32 BST (UK) »
brougher ballinafad is in sligo and i wil look up some information later this evening for you.

Offline Fomlor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 May 10 15:41 BST (UK) »
I believe I've closed the gap in connecting my JP McDonagh and his Morrisroe cousins (James and Bartholomew). Recently came upon a marriage between Michael McDonagh and Sarah Morrisroe. They had  a daughter Anne in 1866 in Boyle area. I believe these are also the parents of my great grand father John P. McD. Later I know they lived at Derrygolagh which I can see is near Brougher.
I was really excited to see that connection with Dixon's Mill. As I mentioned JP also worked there in 1890's-1930's. My bet is that your great grandfather got him the position and was likely his Uncle on his mother's side. Any thoughts on the matter? FrankO

Offline crofton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 May 10 20:49 BST (UK) »
Mary Ann Crofton was a sponsor at my gf's baptism at Drumrat. His name was James Clarke and he was one of 14 children born to Patrick Clarke and Catherine Connor in Brougher, Ballinafad.

Catherine Connor's mother was Mary Connor (nee Healy) from Cloghoge.There is also a Dominick Morrisroe cited as sponsor at baptism to my great aunt Catherine. Does anyone have any info on an Ellen Morrisroe who married Michael Clarke on 7/05/1849 Drumrat? I believe that some of the Clarkes also went to Yorkshire and were stone masons. Any help appreciated.

Offline crofton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 May 10 20:52 BST (UK) »
do you have any information on Dominic Morrisroe as we are not able to trace him from Brougher and where he went to.

Offline cazontour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 May 10 22:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry no I don't have any more info to go on only that he is mentioned as one of the sponsors on the church baptism record of my gf James Clarke and his name is spelt Dominick Morrisroe. The other sponsor was Maria Anna Crofton. This was in July 1896.
I have found the Clarkes on 1901 and 1911 census forms but am still trying to link them up with Morrisroe and Candon names.

Offline kcplayful

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 July 10 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hello , I saw your note on Roots chat.com . My Grandfather was Barthelemew. I thought he came from England but Originally from Co.Mayo Ireland.Settled in Boston and was a Teamster. Met and Married Elizabeth  Daveren. They Had a Son Gerald L.Morrisroe whom  was my Father. Please let me know if there are any questions?

Offline Fomlor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 August 10 00:40 BST (UK) »
I suppose my question is whether or not your Bartholomew is the same as the Bartholomew listed in Crofton's 6/25/09 message. That Bartholomew Morrisroe was born in 1870 and along with his two
brothers lived in Sheffield around the turn of the century. Their father was also Bartholomew b 1836 and he worked at Dixon's Paper Mill...which is the connection with my great grand father John Patrick McDonagh. John Patrick emigrated from Derrygolagh (Roscommon or Sligo?) and worked his life at Dixon's. It was his cousins Morrisroe who he arrived with..and no surprise that he eventually named his sons Bartholomew, James and John. I strongly suspect that his mother was Sara Morrisroe who was married to Michael Mcdonagh. Anyway it this is the same Bartholomew as yours, it would mean he later moved on to the US. Any of this seem to fit? FrankO

Offline zephyr99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 August 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
I read your post with great interest.  Based upon a conversation with my 88-year-old father, Bartholomew J. Morrisroe, I believe that you and my father are probably first cousins.  My father's grandfather, Bartholomew J. Morrisroe, immigrated from Sligo to Boston at the turn of the 20th century.  He was a Teamster in Boston.  According to my father's information, his grandfather Bartholomew was married twice.  His first wife was named Elizabeth [maiden name unknown] and his second wife was named Bridget Donahue.  Between the two wives, Bartholomew fathered four sons.  The sons were named Bartholomew Jr, George, Gerald, and Joseph.  Bartholomew Jr. was my father's father (my grandfather).   

Offline zephyr99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 09 August 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
I read your post with great interest.  Based upon a conversation with my 88-year-old father, Bartholomew J. Morrisroe, I believe that you and my father are probably first cousins.  My father's grandfather, Bartholomew J. Morrisroe, immigrated from Sligo to Boston at the turn of the 20th century.  He was a Teamster in Boston.  According to my father's information, his grandfather Bartholomew was married twice.  His first wife was named Elizabeth [maiden name unknown] and his second wife was named Bridget Donahue.  Between the two wives, Bartholomew fathered four sons.  The sons were named Bartholomew Jr, George, Gerald, and Joseph.  Bartholomew Jr. was my father's father (my grandfather).