Author Topic: Lever family in Lancashire & Yorkshire  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Levi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Lever family in Lancashire & Yorkshire
« on: Friday 19 March 04 19:12 GMT (UK) »
My Great Grandfather, William Lever (according to family tradition) walked from Hyde in Lancashire to find work in the coal mines of Barnsley, Yorkshire.  He married Mary Ann Dodd in 1892 in Barnsley and had six children:

James, George (both killed in the Great War), Percy William (my grandad), Jack, Harold and Gladys.  I have found references to three of the first four in the 1901 census but none whatsoever for George.  Harold always maintained he was born in Farnworth (Farnsworth?) in the greater Manchester area.

Any info or advice as to where to go from here would be greatly appreciated, COS IT INT AS EASY AS AH THOWT
frustratin innitt

Online PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re:Lever family in Lancashire & Yorkshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 March 04 20:09 GMT (UK) »
How old are you expecting George to be? . I looked on the www.cwgc.org site and found this George, who "Matches" bar the parents. Could George have been a cousin, rather than brother? Unless the other kids were born away from Barnsley, it was a long way for George's mother to go.

Initials: G
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers
Unit Text: 1st/8th Bn.
Date of Death: 07/08/1915
Service No: 2592
Additional information: Son of George William and Elizabeth Hannah Lever, of 22, Warburton St., Ordsall Lane, Salford, Manchester.  
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 58 to 72 or 218 to 219
Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL        

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Levi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:Lever family in Lancashire & Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 04 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Many Thanks for your information and interest.

George would be approx 23 when he was killed on 22 July 1916. (www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/certificate.aspx?casualty=800317) This based on the gap between the older brother James (9) and Percy (6) given in the census of 1901.

I did try to find out if he was in the local hospital on the census date but I must have entered the information wrong as it said no results which I took to mean that no Beckett Hospital existed at the time - it did!  Just a thought, another local hospital, St Helens must have existed at the time but I have been told that it was the local workhouse, so I'm stymied again.

I hope that this is of help.
frustratin innitt