Author Topic: FARRIER Family - Worth - LU Request  (Read 8691 times)

Offline robbiedan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FARRIER Family - Worth - LU Request
« on: Monday 20 August 07 03:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am related to the Farrier family of Blue Pigeons Farm, Worth.  I visited Worth a few years ago and found the current Blue Pigeons house/farm, but would like to know when the Farrier family worked/owned it?  Any info on the family would be great.

Thanks
Robyn
(Australia)

Offline cam18

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Worth, Near Deal, Kent.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 August 07 05:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, firstly I'll cover the Old Blue Pigeons Inn, My house! (built 1723 and which closed as an Inn in 1931, the license was transferred to the once vicarage building next door (the Farriers feature heavily in the history of the 'Old Blue Pigeons Inn').

The early years of this Public House (Old one 1723) are obscure. JAMES SPINNER lived in this house in the year of 1843, but there is no evidence of it then being a pub. The next written record found is of WILLIAM KEMP living there in 1847.

Information from the late CHARLES WILLIAM KEMP of Street Farm, it was probable that William kept an ‘Offlicence’. From 1847 the next 20 years is a blank period in the history of the Blue Pigeons. During that time William Kemp left there and went to live at TEMPTYE farmhouse (just up the lane from Blue Pigeons Farm).

On record, the Blue Pigeons was first classified as a Public House in 1870, owned by Thomas FARRIER. When Thomas died ( July 26th 1899, Aged 78 yrs) his widow Emily (who died on; 17th March 1924, Aged 95years) along with her granddaughter Hilda Harper (Aged:14yrs) carried on with the pub. The license later passed to their son George Farrier who owned it by the year 1918.

George died on Oct 2nd 1922, aged 71 years. By 1924, STEPHEN KEMP held the license, he being the husband of BEATRICE Mary FARRIER (Trix) daughter of GEORGE FARRIER.

Around 1928-1929 Stephen and Beatrice Kemp sold the Pub to Mackinsons Brewery. Stephen and Beatrice moved to Africa, where they both died. The brewery also owned the NEW Blue Pigeons Pub, which was previously the Vicarage, and in 1931 the pub was moved from the ‘Old Blue Pigeons’ house to Next door.

Gravestone details:
1. Beatrice is buried with her parents George (02.10.22) and Elizabeth Mary Farrier (14.07.26). Beatrice died on 7th Jan 1936, aged 55yrs in East Africa.

2. Stephen is buried separately (I'll have to check who with and the date) but it does say he was some type of Constable and died at a River in South Africa, I will confirm these details and the River's name asap.

Please stop me if I have any details incorrect, so many Thomas's in your family, it gets a little confusing! Now for the farm: although minimal information on this as still researching, but will pass info on:

The name of ‘Blue Pigeons Inn’ was apparently taken from the farm of that name which is near the railway, the name was given to this public house by WILLIAM FARRIER, owner of the Blue Pigeons Farm in the year of 1884. The second reason states that the original old farmhouse looked very similar outside to the old public house. The old farmhouse was destroyed by fire in November 1905 and the new (Current) farmhouse was rebuilt in 1906 by a Mr James Brett.

Other Farrier Graves at Worth:
4. Old Graveyard - Elizabeth (wife of Thomas) 28.10.1876 Aged 72yrs. With her lies Thomas Farrier, 23.01.1889.

5. New Graveyard - Thomas (26.07.1899) Aged 78 yrs. His wife Emily (17.03.1924) Aged 95yrs. Daughter Elizabeth Ann Harper (05.07.1906) Aged 48 yrs.

6. Thomas (24.05.1905) Aged 45yrs and his wife Mary Ann (25.07.1937) Aged 84 yrs.

7. George (02.10.1922) Aged 71yrs, his wife Elizabeth Mary (14.07.1926) Aged 78 yrs and daughter Beatrice Mary Kemp (07.01.1936) Aged 55yrs.

Other Farriers mention but not placed as of yet!!
Worth Workhouse: Sophia Farrier and an Edward Farrier who worked as a farm servant at Hacklinge House when younger. Records state they were both placed in the workhouse as became widowed.

Lindale Farm (1901 Census): Thomas Farrier (Head) 41 years. Marian Farrier (wife) 49 years. Gordon A Harper (Nephew) 16 years. Post Office Clerk. Single. Leslie A Harper (Nephew) 12years. Single.

Hope its not all too confusing and will keep you updated on the village research as things become clearer. Any information will be greatly received.

Regards Claire

Maiden Name: Redsull
Home Town: Deal
Research of Deal and surrounding Villages.
Uphall, Edingburgh
Family Names: Redsull, Brodie, Wall, Broome

Offline G Darby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FARRIER Family - Worth - LU Request
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn

My father Albert Wallace Darby was the son of Samuel & Annie Darby & we have been curious where Samuel went as there are no records of death all our family have been searching & yet to come up with an answer??

I'm Samuels grandson Gerald Darby

be lovely to hear from you

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robyn,

I have copies of the Parish records for Worth containing dates of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. If you are interested I would be happy to send details of your family. It would be useful to know which branch of the Farriers you are decended from, although they may well be connected.

Kind regards

AJ

Offline robbiedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 February 14 06:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn

My father Albert Wallace Darby was the son of Samuel & Annie Darby & we have been curious where Samuel went as there are no records of death all our family have been searching & yet to come up with an answer??

Hi Gerald,
My Darby connection is:  Sampson Darby married Fanny Farrier in 1878 and had 10 children.  The first born was Sampson (Samson/Samuel) Darby, born 1880 in Ramsgate.  Could this be your relative?  In the 1901 census he was 21 and working in Dover.
Kind regards,
Robyn .

Offline G Darby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 February 14 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robyn

Hi Gerald,
My Darby connection is:  Sampson Darby married Fanny Farrier in 1878 and had 10 children.  The first born was Sampson (Samson/Samuel) Darby, born 1880 in Ramsgate.  Could this be your relative?  In the 1901 census he was 21 and working in Dover.
Kind regards,
Robyn .

Hi Robyn.

Thanks for getting back to me: Samson/Samuel Darby would of been my Grandfather & father of my father Albert Wallace Darby. When Samson/Samuel went missing my Grandmother married Frederick Deri in 1911 & had a son by him. My sister & sister in law have done of research on the family & got quite a lot of useful information so far. We have also so visited Dover to try & find the grave of Sampson & Fanny Darby but couldn't locate it. On out visit to dover we did find 3 of the 4 houses where Samson & Annie lived when our dad Albert was born.

Kind regards
G Darby

Offline robbiedan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 February 14 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerald,
So your grandfather Sampson(Samson/Samuel) is the first son of Sampson & Fanny Farrier?  Do you have a marriage date etc for Samson & Annie?  There are 9 other siblings, do you have any details?  There are quite a few mix-ups on the various Darby families in Ramsgate on some of the research I have done. Could you let me know if we are talking about the same Sam?
My grandmother is one of Sampson & Fanny's daughters.
Thanks, Robyn

Offline G Darby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 February 14 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerald,
So your grandfather Sampson(Samson/Samuel) is the first son of Sampson & Fanny Farrier?  Do you have a marriage date etc for Samson & Annie?  There are 9 other siblings, do you have any details?  There are quite a few mix-ups on the various Darby families in Ramsgate on some of the research I have done. Could you let me know if we are talking about the same Sam?
My grandmother is one of Sampson & Fanny's daughters.
Thanks, Robyn

Hi Robyn.
My Grandfather Samson/Samuel is the first son of Sampson & Fanny Elizabeth Darby. Samuel & Annie Darby married on the 26/12/1901 according to my sisters records.

other siblings
Samuel Wallace Darby first born
Edith Darby
Ethel Darby
William Henry
Louisa Darby
Albert Thomas Darby
Lilian Darby
Edward Darby
Violet Darby
Florence Darby

My sister has dates of there births

Gerald

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 February 14 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Robyn

I see your Farrier relative was Fanny. I have taken a break from transcibing Parish Records and looked through Worth records. It appears Fanny was the only child (baptised in Worth) of George & Sarah Farrier on 13/2/1859.
Her father, George Farrier was one of 13 children (I have names and dates if you want them) of William & Sarah Farrier. He was baptised 26/6/1825.
His father, William was baptised 17/10/1790, one 10 children of Edward & Ann (again names of children if you want them). Edward's parents were William & Ann and he was baptised 22/6/1766. William was not baptised in worth so it must be assumed he moved in from another parish.

Hope this is of interest

Kind Regards

AJ