Author Topic: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.  (Read 16461 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
Have just begun to read Oliver Sach's fascinating biography: "Uncle Tungsten", pub.by Picador in 2001, and was interested to read on page 8 that he writes:..."as the youngest of almost the youngest (I was the last of four, and my mother the sixteenth of eighteen), I was born almost 100 years after my maternal grandfather and never knew him."
So have Rootschatters come across a huge gap between birth of grandparent and subsequent birth of a grandchild - either in their own family or in their research of other families...?
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 August 07 23:34 BST (UK) »
My gg grandfather Johann Heinrich Sommerlad was born in 1829 and as I descend from his 11th child Philip born 1883, and his 5th child my grandmother Phyllis June Sommerlad was born in 1923 it is almost 100 years from grandparent to grandchild  ;D

Well 94yrs anyway  ;)

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 August 07 23:56 BST (UK) »
Amazing, Jenny!
I think the gap in Mr Sachs' family's case was 96 years - 1837 until 1933...
keith

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 September 07 00:01 BST (UK) »
Well that side of my family were...um...late starters, and relatively long living too, but alas Johann Heinrich died in 1912 and his wife Louisa Wilhelmina in 1921 so neither grandparent saw my grandmother  :'(

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 September 07 09:50 BST (UK) »
Jenny,
Thinking this over in bed this morning, I suddenly realised that there's an excellent example in my own family!  My gt-gt-gt-gt-gt-grandfather James GURNER was born in 1695, starting a family in 1723, with my 4-times-gt-grandfather Thomas GURNER being the 5th child born in 1738.  For whatever reason, he didn't marry until he was 50 years old, and my 3-times-gt-grandfather Henry Pakeman GURNER was born in 1796, the fourth son, and a gap of 101 years to his grandfather's birth.
In fact, Henry Pakeman had two younger sisters, and the remarkable thing I noticed about the youngest, Mary GURNER, b. 1802, is that she, her father and her grandfather were each born in separate centuries, i.e 1802, 1738 and 1695.
Now that might take some beating!  All three lie in the same churchyard in Ickleton, Cambs, and isn't it funny how you can suddenly see a new slant on your own family history that you hadn't noticed before...?
keith
N.B. This Mary GURNER kept a village shop in Ickleton for many years in the 19thC - I wonder now whether she bored her customers with the story of how she'd been born in the 19thC, her dad in the 18thC and her granddad in the 17thC...

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 September 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather was born in 1836.  His youngest grandchild was born in 1935.

No, they did not know each other!  :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 September 07 13:36 BST (UK) »
Not quite 100 years, but my mum :) b 1919 and her youngest grandchild b 2000 = 81 years.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 September 07 15:22 BST (UK) »
How about this, my Jersey family

Philippe born 1729

Philippe Clement born 1764
His youngest child born 1837 when he was 79!!!
His youngest grand child(that I know of) born 1875 so that is 111 years.

There is no mistake in Philippe Clements DOB/age.  This has been checked by lots of people.

Beat that

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 September 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
An interesting post Keith.

Not quite a hundred years in my family either, but...

My paternal Grandfather, William James Wilson was born in 1860, & his youngest grandchild, my first cousin Annette, was born in 1958. (I make that 98 years:-)

Sadly he died in 1937, when his first grandchild was a baby, and his wife in 1934, and so they never knew any of their grandchildren:-(

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.