Author Topic: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.  (Read 16645 times)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.
« Reply #18 on: Monday 03 September 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
Re the female side - my maternal grandmother was born almost 82 years before me (my maternal grandfather was born 4 years earlier than her). The age gaps are less further back - a mere 75 years between my mum & her maternal grandmother and 71 years for the previous generation.

Offline Jaki

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Large gaps between d.o.b. of a grandparent and one of his/her grandchildren.
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 04:24 BST (UK) »
In my family my paternal grandfather was born in 1864 and I was born in 1969.......a gap of 104 years. But then that side seemed to start having kids relatively late.

Jaki
<i>OK Charles Henry Kingwell when did you arrive in Australia????</i><br /><b>Coates</b> - Warwickshire, Staffordshire??<br /><b>Hall</b> - Warwickshire, Yorkshire<br /><b>Hirst</b> - Yorkshire<br /><b>Kingwell, Bulley, Bunce</b> - Devon<br /><b>Sample</b> - Northumberland, Durham<br /><b>Shipp</b> - Gloucester<br /><b>MacGillivray, Grant, Forbes, McBean</b> - Scotland

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 04 September 07 11:05 BST (UK) »
I cannot top some of those previously mentioned, but I can claim a 106 year gap. My paternal grandfather born 7 January 1836 and me 1942, by which time my grandfather had been dead for 47 years.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline cyberbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 28 October 11 08:09 BST (UK) »
How does 93 years 264 days rate between my mother and my latest child?? Both are extant.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 28 October 11 09:42 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandfather was born in 1876, my father in 1922, and I was born in 1965. Not quite a century.....
I only ever knew one grandmother (my maternal one) 1897-1995.
My paternal grandfather 1876-1933; his wife, my grandmother, 1880-1924.
My maternal grandfather 1884-1935.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline juliew

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 October 11 10:20 BST (UK) »
I have a 3rd cousin whose grandparents (my 2 x gt g/p) were born 1839.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 28 October 11 10:31 BST (UK) »
Nice to see an old thread ressurected

James Griffin born c1765
Youngest  child William born 1841
Youngest grandchild Delia born 1883

So 118 year gap - which I see doesn't break any records here :D

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline cyberbean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 28 October 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Why don't we stick to living people? History has its distortions, but the present is very verifiable.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 28 October 11 10:39 BST (UK) »
I quite agree, Janan,
I remember this being a lot of fun, but can't quite remember whether anyone had matched the achievement (?) of individuals of three consecutive generations of my mother's direct family being born in different centuries, i.e. James GURNER b. 1695, his son James GURNER in 1738, and his granddaughter Mary GURNER in 1802...
regards, keith
...and I think you may very well start a storm of debate on here with that last post of yours, Cyberbean...