Author Topic: Surname VEIGHEY  (Read 56785 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Surname VEIGHEY
« Reply #27 on: Friday 13 August 10 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Nikki,

I did send you a personal message in Dec 2007, but it probably didn't get through. I was looking at your info just now and wondered if you will get this message. Do you know who your great grandmother Harriet Veighey's parents were and where she was from ?
I am sure she is related to my Dad's ancestors.

Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 07 January 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I just thought I would add the latest information that I have managed to find out from a couple of sources recently:

1st source is Harriet Veighey's great grandaughter: 'We think my great grandmother Harriet veighey was the youngest daughter of Matthew ( which was difficult to find info on because she didn't appear in the census in her fathers house as she was married to my great grand father Frederick Gordon at the age of 22) She was in service in a house in Killiney co. Dublin but from my grandfather I knew for a fact that she came from Cavan. Her mother may have also been Harriet as i have discovered through rootschat, Unfortunately her name was not included in the census we believe she was deceased at the time. as far as i can make out matthew had two sons and two daughters John, Matthew, Sarah and Harriet - this information now confirms that there was another daughter that originally lived in Redhills - Harriet would have been a 1st cousin of my grandfather along with Mathew, John and Sarah who lived in Redhills - my father met Matthew and Sarah when he was young

2nd source is granddaughter of Robert Veighey b 1891 -  Robert married Sarah Burnside (shoemaker family). Robert and Sarah had 10 children.  I found Robert on the 1911 census in William and Martha Veighey's house living in Antrim. Also found Sarah in a Burnside house on the 1911 census, living with her family pre marriage and her father was a shoemaker in Durham St Smithfield, Antrim. There has got to be a link here to my Veighey relatives but I am having difficulty working it out, I do know that my father had had relatives in this area!

If anyone can add anymore information I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Margaret
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Berni

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret
sending my heartfelt sympathy to you and your family on the loss of your father
you and your parents have been a great help on my fathers family
big hugs
Berni
O'Shea. Tailors of Caherciveen. Co Kerry Eire.
Dempsey. Bute dock police. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.
Cadden. Granard, Co Longford, Eire.
O'Brien. Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 08 July 11 19:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Berni for your good wishes, I have passed them onto my family.

I had a friend work on a great photo of my Dad for the order of service, he looked very good for 87 in the photo, it was a photo with my Mum, but my friend removed my Mum from the image, so my Dad was in the photo on his own, amazing what you can do with photo software!

I am even more keen now to find the missing links to my Dad's heritage, he started life in Dunaweel, Killeshandra!

Take care

Margaret

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 19 December 11 06:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I’m researching an Esther Veighey of unknown dates and origin who was married to a John McKenzie (c. 1796 – 1864).  They lived in Derryoghill townland which is in Tyrone but borders Armagh. So far, I haven’t been able to link Esther to any other Veigheys except by geography but I might as well list what I have found in case it helps any of you.

From the Armagh Diocesan wills index on PRONI web site (the wills have not survived):
Thomas Veaghy, Linen Weaver of Derryoghill – 1758 (suggesting my Esther was from Derryoghill herself)
John Veaghey – 18 Jun 1818 (unknown location)

1796 Freeholder record for John Veaghey in Moy (Moy is in Tyrone, very close to Derryoghill, also borders Armagh, possibly the John Veaghey who died in 1818?)

Tithe Applotments records for the 1830s:
Matthew Veaghey in Derryoghill (Tyrone portion of Clonfeacle Parish)
Robert Vehey in Drumsollan Upper (Eglish Parish, Armagh)
No Veigheys or variants that I can see in Loughgall or Grange parishes.

I have a historical reference from 1835 to a Thomas Vaghey from Tullygoonigan which is in Grange parish. He would have been an adult at the time.

In Griffiths Valuations, there aren’t any Veigheys or variants in Clonfeacle, Eglish, or Loughgall parishes but there are 3 in Grange Parish:
John Vahy, Allistragh
Sarah Vahy, Tirgarve
Thomas Vahy, Aughnacloy

Having the 1835 record for the name in Grange and then 3 households in different Grange townlands in Griffiths makes me think that there probably were Veigheys in Grange at the time of the Tithe Applotments. They may just have been on land that wasn’t subject to tithes?

Certainly Grange Parish seems to have been the home of the Veigheys by the time of Griffiths Valuation and by the time of civil registrations.

Reading through this thread, it seems there are a lot of descendants of Gilbert Veighey via either his son James and Eliza Greer or his son Matthew and Harriet Duncan. I’ve pieced together some other Veighey branches and I found 2 that I would guess are probably from the same Gilbert Veighey or closely linked since they use the name Gilbert:
1. Gilbert Veighey married Jane Borland in Armagh in 1866. The family moved to Belfast some time in the 1870s.
2. Eliza Veighey married William John Sleator in Armagh in 1864. This family named one of their sons Gilbert. They’re on the 1901 Census Allistragh and the 1911 Census in Lisdonwilly (both are in Grange Parish).

I have more information about these and some other Veighey families from Armagh but none of it really helps me right now so I’ll be putting Veighey research aside unless I can help somebody else here.

Offline Dessie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 19 December 11 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi ansimi,
I am connected to the Veighey surname by a great great grandmother Sarah Veighey born in Armagh in 1854 and married in Belfast in 1879 to Henry Carswell.   
Sarah and her brother William, also born in Armagh, was the daughter of James Veighey and Eliza Greer who were married in the "District Church in Grange" Armagh.   

In the 1870  and 1877 street directory for Belfast a James Veighey lived in 35 Willow Street in Belfast  and in 1880 the house resident changed to William Veighey. From the burial record in the Belfast City Cemetery, James at the time of his death lived in 21 Cullingtree street and died aged 44 in 1879. His wife Eliza Greer died in 1891 aged 52 with both being buried in the same grave.

On Eliza Greer's and James Veighey's marriage cert Eliza's father is Andrew Greer, a name that is carried on in future generations as Andrew Greer Veighey.

Eliza's father Andrew Greer is a farmer in Grange Co Armagh.     James Veighey's father is Gilbert Veighey and his occupation is stated as farmer also.   Given the ages on the burial notices it seems that James would have been born in 1835 and Eliza in 1836. Their first child Sarah was born in 1854 making Eliza a very young mother indeed for that time.
I have noted the Jane Boreland and Gilbert Veighey marriage but could not tie that Gilbert to James's Gilbert and certainly the dates don't seem to add up. Given James's year of birth 1835 his father is likely to have been born around 1815 or earlier.

I would be very interested in any information you may have on the Veighey connection.

Des Carswell
Carswell, Crawford, Veighey, Wallace, Moore,Belfast

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Des,
I sent you an email with some more that might help with your Veighey-Greer line.

Margaret,
Since I was looking at your Veigheys, I decided to poke my nose into your Montgomerys too.

It sounds like you still might not have the marriage registration for Isabella Montgomery and James Veighey. I found the index reference: Cavan, Oct-Dec 1886, Volume 3, Page 51. The familysearch index has an error that puts the Veighey side of the marriage in 1836 instead of 1886 but the volume and page numbers match.
From the census returns, we know that your Isabella Montgomery was born in Cavan, her mother’s name was also Isabella, she had a sister named Mary Anne, and she had a sister-in-law named Amelia who was born in Leitrim.

Familysearch has partial details for the birth of a Mary Anne Montgomery in Killishandra on 8 Sep 1864 to George Montgomery and Isabella Ellis (Cavan, 1864, Volume 13, Page 113). Mary Anne’s age isn’t consistent between the 1901 and 1911 census returns but I’m sure that this is her. There was a George Montgomery as the only Montgomery in Dunaweel in Griffiths. There is also a registration for an unnamed baby girl to the same parents on 4 Apr 1869 (Cavan, 1869, Volume 8, Page 129). I don’t see a marriage registration for the parents so it was probably before civil registration and Isabella probably had several older siblings.

I traced the sister-in-law Amelia to a marriage of Amelia Johnston and George Montgomery registered in the Mohill District, Oct-Dec 1887, Volume 3, Page 187. The date is consistent with the birth of their first child on the 1901 census and the location is consistent with her having been born in Leitrim. The only possible death record I see for Isabella’s brother George Montgomery would be Cavan, Jan-Mar 1894, Volum 3, Page 74, Age 31.

I think Isabella’s father George must be the George Montgomery of Dunaweel who died 13 Oct 1878 at age 64 mentioned here: http://www.irelandoldnews.com/Cavan/1878/OCT.html

I hope that helps.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ansimi,

WOW, what a lot of information, great to hear from you.
Des had alerted me to your post on this thread, I don't always gets alerts on this thread which was started originally for me by a friend (Jane). What  a lot of info you have. A lot of the Veigheys that my Dad  talked about never owned land but worked for gentry who owned the land. My Dad often spoke about Matthew Veighey's family (he married Harriet Duncan), my Dad cycled to their house many times when he was young. I have never been able to ascertain anything further back than 1861 when my great grandfather James was born ( he died aged 30 in 1891). Unfortunately my Dad passed away this year in June so I am unable to ask him any more questions.
Thanks too, for the Montgomery info, cos I haven't been able to come up with much, you have provided me with lots more info now.

Now that you have posted more than 3 messages I will send you a PM.
Thanks goodness Des had noticed that there was a posting, there is something wrong with the alerts, cos I don't always get them automatically.

keep in contact

Best wishes
Margaret

Offline Aussie Mike

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 01 March 12 06:00 GMT (UK) »
as far as i can gather this is the montgomery family.

SIBIL FRANCES. HAROLD ROBERT. MAUD WINIFRED. DONALD STANLEY. BERNARD LAW. UNA. DESMOND. COLIN ROGER. BRAIN FREDERICK.parents. HENRY MONTGOMERY & MAUD FARRAR.

REGARDS MARY.