Author Topic: Surname VEIGHEY  (Read 56826 times)

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
  • My Mum & Dad - George & May Veighey
    • View Profile
Re: Surname VEIGHEY
« Reply #45 on: Friday 18 January 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Ansimi,

Sorry for delay in replying I don't seem to get email alerts all the time.

I looked at the info on Gilbert Veighey below and I still can't piece together how many other children Gilbert would have had, especially if Gilbert is the father of James Veighey (my great, great grandfather) born 1861 who died 1891. As you say all lot of Veigheys came from Armagh as your earlier post said on this thread:
Certainly Grange Parish seems to have been the home of the Veigheys by the time of Griffiths Valuation and by the time of civil registrations.

Reading through this thread, it seems there are a lot of descendants of Gilbert Veighey via either his son James and Eliza Greer or his son Matthew and Harriet Duncan. I've pieced together some other Veighey branches and I found 2 that I would guess are probably from the same Gilbert Veighey or closely linked since they use the name Gilbert:
1. Gilbert Veighey married Jane Borland in Armagh in 1866. The family moved to Belfast some time in the 1870s.
2. Eliza Veighey married William John Sleator in Armagh in 1864. This family named one of their sons Gilbert. They're on the 1901 Census Allistragh and the 1911 Census in Lisdonwilly (both are in Grange Parish).

I have more information about these and some other Veighey families from Armagh but none of it really helps me right now so I'll be putting Veighey research aside unless I can help somebody else here.

I tried to look for the riot you mentioned by googling Gilbert Veikey about him walking around in a riot in 1835 but it didn't come up!

Thanks too for your information on my Montgomery connection.
I'll have to keep checking this site more often as I don't seem to get the email alerts.

Margaret :) :)
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 18 January 13 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Ansimi,

I looked at the info on Gilbert Veighey below and I still can't piece together how many other children Gilbert would have had, especially if Gilbert is the father of James Veighey (my great, great grandfather) born 1861 who died 1891.

I tried to look for the riot you mentioned by googling Gilbert Veikey about him walking around in a riot in 1835 but it didn't come up!

Gilbert wasn't the father of James born 1861 but rather the father of James' father Matthew. Matthew's marriage registration lists his father as Gilbert and Matthew's census return says he was born in Armagh so I'm absolutely certain of the relationship.

The entire document seems to have disappeared completely from Google Books! It's still on eppi.dippam.ac.uk but the text search on that site doesn't work at all. Try this link:

http://eppi.dippam.ac.uk/documents/10962/eppi_pages/249066

You might be able to re-subscribe to this thread somehow? You probably unsubscribed by accident. The email alerts contain an unsubscribe link that would be easy to click by accident instead of clicking the link to get to the forum.

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 19 January 13 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. Riot info interesting.
So Gilbert Veighey would be James' grandfather then if Matthew Veighey is supposed to be his father.
My notifications for alerts are set up properly, it is very strange how sometimes they don't work, someone on Roots technical help couldn't work out what had happened. I had other threads too where notifications were set up and email alerts didn't happen. II go in occasionally to check that the notifications are set up correctly!

Thanks

Margaret :) :)
Veighey, Isabella Montgomery, Wilson,  Haughtons ,  Arnolds, Morrisons & Kellets -Killeshandra, Co Cavan, Ireland, Whittaker- Conisbrough

Offline Kiwigal2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 14 March 13 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi i'm  writing  about the surname Veighey

I'm related to Abraham and Margaret Mckenzie who's son John married the Esther girl and who brothers Abraham jr and Robert came over to New Zealand and Settle down in Southland Invercargill  Abraham never married and Robert Married Jane Drake . i'm also related to the Plunkett Family

Any Information you have got on the Esther person or John would be great

Offline ansimi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi cousin Kiwigal2 :)

I will send you a private message about the McKenzies to take it out of this thread. I haven't been able to connect Esther Veighey to the other Veigheys discussed in this thread yet but it's a rare and localized name so I'm sure they're all related.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 20 March 13 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Kiwigal2 only has 1 post so far- new members usually need 3 to send and receive PMs.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline John veighey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 19 January 14 12:00 GMT (UK) »
James was my great grand father I only know about three of his children Matthew my grandfather moved to Belfast two of his other children stayed in red hills and worked for the White Venables  my father was called herbie he had a brother called jack

Offline MEW53

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Sunday 19 January 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

WOW what a surprise getting this reply on the VEIGHEY thread especially from your part of the family.

My grandfather (another James) was a first cousin of Jack's and Herbie (your father). My father met both Jack & his wife Gladys many times & Herbie too. I have been trying to work out the name of Jack & Herbie's father for  ages. There was another sibling called Dolly I believe. I met Jack & Gladys and their daughter in the 1960s in Belfast when we travelled from England to Ireland for our summer holidays.
Do you know the names of Matthew's brothers ? When my Dad was young he used to travel to Redhills
You need to post at least 3 replies to be able to send and receive personal messages as I think there is a lot to learn here.
There are so many James's in this family it gets very confusing!

Keep in touch

Best wishes

Margaret  :) :)

Offline John veighey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 20 January 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret                                                                                                                                   Good to hear from you Dolly was a sister of jack and Herbie one of my grandfathers brothers was called john he had a sister called Sarah I don't know anything about the other brother apart from him moving to another county possibly Meath or Longford best wishes john