Author Topic: Stills Buildings, Kintore  (Read 7656 times)

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stills Buildings, Kintore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 August 13 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Can I be cheeky and ask who she remembers? My great gran and her family lived in Stills Building from the time they were built. My great gran was married from there in 1921.

Regards

KBG
Aberdeen: Coulthard, Chilcott, Bartie, Wallace, Clark, Robertson, Warrander, Hunter, Brown
Lincolnshire: Chilcott, Barratt, Robinson, Twidale, Beacock

Offline Tiv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 August 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
High KBG

I spoke to her about it today, having the picture. She remembers the ground floor tenants, Bob and Jessie Milne, as they had a Pomeranian, and Jessie walked it round the communal drying green. Mrs Morrison lived in the middle on the same side as my mother, who was a little girl at the time. The Strachans lived in the middle tenement on the other side.  The owners, the Stills, visited occasionally, but did not live there permanently. They show in the valuation roll for 1915.  I'll try to see if she remembers a wedding taking place.  She was more interested in the hen wifies who plucked the chickens and the "tarry engine" that came to fill the holes in the road, however!

Jean

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 August 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

Thanks for the reply, cant find which number my lot lived at. Everything just says 'Still's Buildings'
There were 4 generations lived there. Agnes and Robert Cook (my 3x great grandparents)and 8 children. My 2x great grandmother was Mary B Cook and great grandmother was Mary Robertson. I have a photo of my great gran and her younger sister which I will try to post if i can remember how to do it :)

Regards

Christine
Aberdeen: Coulthard, Chilcott, Bartie, Wallace, Clark, Robertson, Warrander, Hunter, Brown

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 August 13 23:05 BST (UK) »

Hope this works, my great gran 'Granny Mary' with her younger sister.

Offline Tiv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stills Buildings, Kintore - Mary Robertson
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 September 13 10:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry, Mum couldn't remember. She was 3 when they moved there in 1921. She vaguely remembered the name Mary Robertson, but I'm afraid that name could have come from anywhere during her long life.

I showed her the picture but she did not recognise the girls, but she had cataracts in both eyes and was finding it difficult to see any detail.

She died peacefully in her sleep 10 days ago, so I won't be able to extract any more stories from her, which is a pity. We never start soon enough!

Offline kickbuttgirlie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 September 13 11:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean,

My condolences on your loss. I have to agree though we never listen when the stories were told and never have the questions until its too late.

*hugs*

Christine x