Author Topic: Bland, Balmaclellan  (Read 24486 times)

Offline Shopper123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bland, Balmaclellan
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hello bluerenwick, hope I can help I think you'll find Agnes Bland married a Robert Kerr on 1st November, 1859 in Kells, Kirkcudbright.  Agnes Kerr (nee Bland) was my second great grandaunt.
If I can help in anyway, let me know.

Offline SilverSprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 June 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Goodness this is from a while back, they did move from Scotland to Allithwaite near Grange over Sands in Cumbria where both William and Isabela are buried. They had four children William, Nathaniel, Andrew and Grace, Andrew died in 1884 the other three all eventually moved to Withington Manchester looking for work. My grandfather was Albert Bland, Nathaniel's son, he stayed in Allithwaite with his grandparents William and Isabela and our side of the family still live in this area. It would be of interest to know where you live as I have never been in touch with the Manchester side of the family. For a long time they always used the name McMinn in the Christian name of their children which was always very helpful, hope this has been of help.

Regards Roy Bland
R Bland

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 21 June 21 13:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Silversprat,  I too am new to Rootschat.  My 2nd Great Grandparents are also William Dalzell Maitland Bland and his wife Isabella McMinn.  In 1881 I also have them living at the same address which I cannot find anywhere on Google earth!
There is no point looking for single houses, or places that have disappeared, on Google Earth.

Loch Vale, Dumfries https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.06532&lon=-3.59317&layers=5&b=1
It seems to have been swallowed up by the expansion of the town south-eastwards.

Sea Wood Cottage, Cart Lane, near Kents Bank
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=54.18330&lon=-2.92437&layers=1&b=1
https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/SD4076
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Shopper123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 June 21 23:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,  many thanks for the links they are very interesting, you have been very helpful.
My husband and I came on holiday to Dumfries and Galloway seven years ago, I cried when we left! Shortly after I started Ancestry and could not believe that my ancestries came from around Galloway and Kirkcudbrightshire.   Many thanks for the links Shopper123 they are much appreciated.

Offline Shopper123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 21 June 21 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Silversprat, Albert E Bland is my 1st Cousin 2 x removed! He would have been married to: Clara Constance Houston, I believe they had three children: William Edward, Frederick and Sydney?  Not sure Roy which one is your father?  This RootsChat is very informative.
My father was born in Stockport to James McMinn Bland B 1893 - D 1972 and Frances Ridgway B 1899 - D 1972 he married my mum from East Sussex and after the war he lived and died in Eastbourne, East Sussex.  We often go to Grange Over Sands on our way back from holidaying in Scotland it certainly is a small world. ......  Shopper123

Offline SilverSprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 08:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Shopper123, this is excellent you are the first direct family I have been in touch with from those who moved to Withington, I do have a family tree on Ancestry  (under R Bland family tree ) although I am no longer a member and it is not fully up to date. William Edward was my father, both he and Sid moved to Flookburgh where I now live and Fred lived in the family home at Greaveswood Lodge near Cardrona Road just outside Grange. I wonder why you visited Grange did you know they used to live here or was it just coincidence? Must go now but more to tell
R Bland

Offline Shopper123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 June 21 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi again Silversprat, I am not sure whether you would be able to view my Ancestry page.  But, you are more than welcome too.  I have tried where possible to put a picture of the person on my Ancestry Tree as I believe it brings the person to life!  If you have any pictures, I would love to have them along with who they are and add them to my tree not just of the person/s but also a picture of where they lived if possible, if the house/s are still there as I realise a lot of the old properties have been knocked down now.

Offline SilverSprat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 June 21 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Shopper123, Not quite sure how to insert a link to a webpage so this might not work. This link https://www.google.com/maps/@54.1792088,-2.9282582,3a,75y,209.88h,85.58t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sYgSwvNp6ZCmiWkhfL_D3cg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DYgSwvNp6ZCmiWkhfL_D3cg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D195.65195%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656 if it works shows the house they lived in up until Fred died 1976 and then his wife in 1977. I have sent you a personal message with my email address don't know if you got it. Regards Roy
R Bland