Author Topic: Surnames: Handy/Fenwick  (Read 1301 times)

Offline kthorn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Surnames: Handy/Fenwick
« on: Tuesday 04 September 07 20:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for any information on Edward Handy and Isabella Fenwick who I believe were married at All Saints Church, Newcastle in 1819. They settled in Lanchester, Durham and had 7 children, (Jane, Mary, Miles,Edward,Isabella,Thomas & one name unknown) all born in the 1820's.

Unfortunately, I don't have any more information than that.

Does anyone have a connection or info ?

Many Thanks

Offline JosiahS

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Surnames: Handy/Fenwick
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 September 07 12:01 BST (UK) »
From the Lanchester records on the IGI there were 2 Mary's - one born 1820 and one 1824.

Isabella is still alive in the 1841 census living in Lanchester with a John Handy who is marked as 15.  She is marked as 50 and born in county.  She is not in the 1851.

Hope this helps

Ashley
DU: Jones, Miller, Laverick, Orwin, Burn, Finlay, Robson, Robinson, Jobling, Fenwick, Spoor, Saunders, Billingsley, Appleby
NB: Pickard, Gilchrist, Curry, Heron, Thompson, Bell, Henderson, Aynsley
CU: Bell, Armstrong, Parker
SY: Saunders, Bartlett, Ellis
SX: Bartlett, Cager
BK: Saunders
NY: Miller (Swaledale), Raw
ALL CENSUS INFORMATION CONTAINED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT FROM www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 21 14:33 GMT (UK) »
I realise that this is a very old thread, but I am currently looking for an Edward, a farmer, and Isabella Handy who had a daughter Mary born at Holmside New Hall c 1824
My Mary Handy was the third wife of Thomas Harwood and they married 2nd Feb 1850 at Newcastle Register Office, she was 25 and named her father as Edward Handy, a farmer. Though her birthplace in 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 seems to have been either dittoed from her husband's or just as Durham - after her husband died the 1891 census has her birthplace as 'Homeside'
This is the baptism record I have for her (NB you need to be signed into Family Search to view it, but an account is free)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-D1ZQ-MDN?i

I am a long way from sorting out this family, but I believe that the Isabella who Ashley found in 1841 at Carmires with a son John was the wife of John Handy (possibly Edward's brother) , she died in 1851 and I've just sent for her death register entry to see if it mentions a husband.

This is a very likely baptism record for the 15 year old John on that same census, which lends weight to my theory.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DCY9-XNY?i

Plus Land Tax records 1759-1830 for Chester Ward West (with gaps in the years) which are transcribed and viewable in the the Durham Record Office Catalogue (put Edward Handy into the keyword field in the Catalogue Search) and see what comes up,  show that from 1821 to 1827 John Handy occupied a property in Kyo Township - named as Care Mires on 1827 records) and Edward Handy occupied a property in Holmside Township.

I also have that marriage record for Edward Handy and Isabella Fenwick, but don't yet have any corroborating evidence that its the same couple who had my Mary in 1824 so far not found a viable alternate marriage but its still in the 'possible but not confirmed' box in my files.

They are a puzzle, its been smoke and mirrors so far :-) Once I've done some more firkling I may start a new thread to ask for help on specifics but if I do I will cross reference that thread and this one on the offchance that kthorn may return.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 17 February 21 17:47 GMT (UK) »

I am a long way from sorting out this family, but I believe that the Isabella who Ashley found in 1841 at Carmires with a son John was the wife of John Handy (possibly Edward's brother) , she died in 1851 and I've just sent for her death register entry to see if it mentions a husband.

Boo

and I may as well update this to say I now have the death register entry and the Isabella who died in 1851, was indeed the widow of John HANDY, brother to the Edward HANDY in the original query.

Boo

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 July 21 14:55 BST (UK) »
You mentioned that one of the children was named Miles and elsewhere you mentioned that one of them lived at Carmires (now Carrmyers).  So this was in the Hare Law area near Catchgate/Annfield Plain.

There was a Miles Handy who was probably your Miles or his son and he was a pub landlord at the Smiths Arms, Catchgate at least between 1890-1894.  You might find that there is information on him on the Internet because he was a World Champion handball player in his younger days.

Catchgate is only 2 or 3 miles from Lanchester and was probably in the Lanchester parish in the early 1800s when there were no churches at Annfield Plain, Catchgate or Harelaw

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 09:30 BST (UK) »

There was a Miles Handy who was probably your Miles or his son and he was a pub landlord at the Smiths Arms, Catchgate at least between 1890-1894.  You might find that there is information on him on the Internet because he was a World Champion handball player in his younger days.

Thanks Neville, though this Miles Handy is probably related in some way to my Handy family,  his Dad was likely to be Lionel Handy, who was a farmer, but will file this info away in case he turns up.

If you are looking at this man and his pub, there is an article in the old newspapers that may be of interest:

Durham County Advertiser
14 June 1901, page 3 col 8
a licensing case at Lanchester. Its quite long the interesting part is
" Mr Handy had conducted the premises without any complaint being lodged against him for 21 years and his wife had previously occupied the house for six or seven years before that time [...]
Mr Handy was about to leave the house on account of his ill health."

Looks like he married Sarah J Welch in 1878

1881 census Piece 4943/ Folio 4/ Page 1
Smiths Arms, Kyo
Miles Handy, Head,  44 Licensed victualler
Sarah J Handy Wife, 44
Elizabeth A Welch (Handy) stepdaughter, 15
Thomas Welch (Handy) Stepson, 11
Ann Handy daughter  2
Isabella Moore sister in law 23

1891 census Piece 4088/Folio 27/Page 47
Originally said Miners Arms, but Miners has been crossed out and replaced with a word that's difficult to read, but could well be Smiths.
Miles Handy Head , 54 Innkeeper
Sarah J Handy Wife  54
Elizabeth A Welch Stepdaughter, 25
Ann Handy Daughter , 12

1901 census Piece 4666/Folio 80/Page 17
Catchgate (pub not named)
Miles Handy, Head,  64 Innkeeper
Sarah J Handy Wife, 64
Thomas Welch Stepson, 31  Butcher
Mildred A Welch Gdaughter, 9
Ivy A E Harris servant, 15

Miles died 06 May 1903, address at time of death was 30 Victoria Tce., Catchgate there's a record on the probate calendar for him (admin to Sarah Jane , his widow)

Boo

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 10:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Boo,

The information you have given, when added to what I already had, me explains the family interest in this pub from before 1850 right up until the early 1900s. 

His death at 30 Victoria Terrace was only a few doors away from the pub itself.

Neville

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 July 21 23:37 BST (UK) »
Tickettyboo,

This might be totally irrelevant to you but it cropped up in my research on the Smiths Arms.  Please use it or ignore it as you see fit - just read it first!

"Kelly's directory 1890 has Miles Handy at the Smith's Arms. Miles is the son of Lionel Maddison Handy who lived at Fines House in the late 1800s."

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Neville,it did look possible that Miles, the publican was the son of a Lionel. Info now filed away for when I explore sideways on my Handy line.
I have no sign of Lionel or this Miles being connected yet though I think its likely they are linked into my line at some stage, but have been concentrating on the direct line so far.

Boo