Author Topic: Ann Dyer Queens County Ireland  (Read 31995 times)

Offline zippygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Dyer Queens County Ireland
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Rex

I had a look at the burials on line for New Plymouth and found a Maria Dyer aged 79 buried at the Te Henui Cemetery on 3 Feb 1884.  This may be Ann and Susan's mother.  I live in New Plymouth so will see if I can find the burial plot and see if it has any other details.

cheers
Janice :)

Offline RoysSon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 20:33 GMT (UK) »
This Mrs Dunn; I am pretty sure it will be Susan Dyer. You stated died 5 Sept 1884, death cert states she was 49 years of age.
The info I have from the family bible has a Mrs Dunn age 48 died 2 Sept 1884. The odds are this is the same person, Susan Dyer? Whats your thoughts. Will require some digging around to prove it 100% but it looks very likely.
Next thing is to link 100% Susan Dyer to Ann Dyer as being sisters and the mystery that has covered my gt gt grandmother has been partly lifted   ;D
Revell Revel Crocker Kingcombe Sarten Richards Goddard Bird Rogers Brough Broe Perham Fennell Faull Cleaver Hawke Hornblow Kingcomb Lye Pepper Scrivener Street Wallace Wood Higgs

Offline Maysroad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 28 October 12 08:53 GMT (UK) »
In response to Zippygirl re John Dunn of Wanganui and Hawera. I too am a grandson of him and have been involved in some research as to his life in New Zealand. He arrived on the ship True Briton on 18 December 1852 in Wellington. They were marched with band to Mt Cook Barracks and spent a month there. He went on board the ship in January 1853 and disembarked in New Plymouth. He served his time and was discharged and received a parcel of land on the Eltham-Opunake Road. West of Kaponga there is a bridge named Dunns Creek. He returned to Hawera after living in Normanby and his address I think was Princes Street. There is quite a bit more. I am one grandson of his second marriage.

Offline zippygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 15 February 13 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mayroad, sorry for delay in replying but have changed e-mail address and haven't been on rootschat for some time.  I am a great grand daughter of John Dunn, my grandmother was Ethel Maude Dunn who married James Barlow.  I have done some research on this family but have not got back any further that John Dunn coming to NZ. Would love to hear from you.
Janice

Offline Maysroad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 18 February 13 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there zippygal. I am pleased to hear from you. I have done a good deal of research on John Dunn my grandfather. To complicate things he was married twice and had 3 chn by his first marriage whose name was Susan Dyer, daughter of James Dyer and Maria Higgs She was born in 1837 in Maryboro Ireland. They married in Wanganui where John was posted as a soldier of the 65th Regiment.  Susan died of TB in 1884. He married again in 1885 to Elizabeth Mary Gill. They had 8 children, 7 daughters and one son. Elizabeth was born in London and survived John by 2 years. She died in Hawere on 26 November 1909 of cancer. She and John were your great-great grandparents. As their only son was born in 1891 and died in 1892 it was the 7 daughters who provide the large family of descendants. The trouble is the 6 who married all have different surnames and are scattered far and wide through New Zealand, Australia and UK.
Ethel Maude Dunn was daughter 1 and is your great grandmother. I met her in Wanganui in 1948. She was born on 24 June 1886 and died on 28 Feb 1960 in New Plymouth. She married James Henry Barlow in 1903. He died in Wanganui in 1950. They had 8 children one of whom is your grandmother. I have met some of the Barlows and their offspring and baptised one in Wellington Cathedral about 1987 when I was Dean of the Cathedral there.
My mother was daughter 5 and she married my father Harry Brown following his return from WWI.
Most of the offspring of John Dunn's daughters (we called ourselves 'the cuzzies') have gone though there are 2 in Christchurch and 1 in Kaikoura. If you want more on the life of John Dunn, I have pieced a fair bit together. There is one cuzzie in New Plymouth. Have I whet your appetite?
Kindest regards, maysroad.   

Offline zippygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 18 February 13 05:56 GMT (UK) »
Great to hear from you Maysroad, My father was the youngest son of Ethel and James Barlow. I have done quite a lot of research on the Barlow family, but do not know a lot about your own family or your cuzzies in Christchurch.  I have been in touch with your other cuzzie in New Plymouth (where I live) and she provided me with some information and photos. One of these photos has John Dunn in it, not sure where it was taken, it looks like a wedding but not sure who's. 
I did not know my grandmother, but grew up living next door to her sister Alice Dunn, I also knew Marion Pease, Ada Walshe and did meet Nell Wheeler once on one of visits to NZ.
Do you know any more about the Gill family?  Apparently during the 60's one on the family visited the Gills in London.
Kind regards

Offline Maysroad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 February 13 01:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello again, Janice. Thank you for your response. You must have been in contact with cousin Marie. I think her surname is *. She had two sons one of whom, * has done a comprehensive study Of John Dunn and his descendants.

I dont know too much about the Gills but for this.
John married Elizabeth Mary Gill, daughter of James Gill 7/6/1885 in Hawera. She was born in London in 1865 and died in Hawera 28/11/ 1909 and buried in Hawera Cemetrey. Her father and mother were married at St Mary le Bow in London 30/6/1860. Someone has done research on the 'Gills of London' whose name was Jane Dobbie. James was a ships chandler, operating in Narrow Street, Poplar and there is a Gill Street named after him as he was involved in developing that area. They both died in January 1911 in a 'flue epidemic.
The Gill name was continued in John and Elizabeths 3rd child who was baptised Henry Gill Dunn. As said last time he died a year later. However, when Child 6 (Marjory (Madge) married Harold Rupert Day in 1920 their son b1921 was baptised Gilfred and known as Gill Day.
I see in the list that in the 4th generation there is a daughter of Eric Barlow named Janice Ann. I guess that might be you. The one I met in Levin in the late 80s was Eric Barlow and it was a granddaughter of his that I baptised in the Cathedral.
One lovely person who would be a first cousin of yours is * who lives in P/north. She arrived when I was installed as Dean. She was bright, vivacious and charming. Her mother was Alma Patricia Barlow, daughter of Ethol. Phew!
                                        Kind regards, Michael. (Maysroad) 

Moderator Note: details of living people removed as per RootsChat privacy policy.

Offline danishdots

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 27 April 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry for taking so long - my USB stick went missing and is found!!!.................  From Coolbanagher Records

Surname   Child's Christian name   Father's name   Surname   Mother's name   Maiden name   Page/number in Register   When baptized   When born

Dwyer_Dyer      Mary   Edward   Dwyer_Dyer   Anne      Page 121_54   11th December 1831
Dyer      Joseph   Martin   Dyer   Jane      Page 80   16th January 1803
Dyer      Edward   John   Dyer   Judith      Page 81   7th August 1803
Dyer      William   Thomas   Dyer   Castilia      Page 81   19th August 1804
Dyer      James   Martin   Dyer   Susanna      Page 84   29th December 1805
Dyer      Hester   Thomas   Dyer   Castiliana      Page 87   27th September 1807
Dyer      Thomas   Thomas   Dyer   Castiliana      Page 94   7th July 1811
Dyer      Susan   Joseph   Dyer   Mary      Page 121_23   13th February 1831
Dyer      Ann   Joe   Dyer   Mary      Page 122_69   17th June 1832
Dyer      Susan   James   Dyer   Mary      Page 126_125   6th April 1834
Dyer      William   Joseph   Dyer   Mary      163   5th April 1835
Dyer      Ann   James   Dyer   Mary      239   9th October 1836
Dyer      Elizabeth   Joseph   Dyer   Mary      261   18th June 1837
Dyer      Elizabeth   James   Dyer   Maria      299   9th December 1838
Dyer      Matilda   Joseph   Dyer   Mary      322   24th November 1839
Dyer      Samuel   Nathaniel   Dyer   Anne      345   15th November 1840
Dyer      Joseph   James   Dyer   Maria      370   15th August 1841
Dyer      Maryanne   Joseph   Dyer   Mary      399   2nd October 1842
Dyer      William Joshua   Nathaniel   Dyer   Anne      402   21st November 1842
Dyer      Thomas Benn   Nathaniel   Dyer   Anne      442   27th October 1844
Dyer      Alice Isabella   Nathaniel   Dyer   Anne      511   14th November 1847
Dyer      John   Joseph   Dyer   Catharine      53   14th Sept 1856

Danishdots
Coolbanagher (Queens County, Ireland); North Creake (Norfolk); Aarhus (Denmark); Burntisland (Fife, Scotland); Rowlands Gill (Northumberland); Ballycarroll (Queens County, Ireland); Raheen (QueensCounty, Ireland)

Offline zippygal

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for info Danish Dots about the Dyer family, would you have any similar info about the Dunn family.
Regards