Author Topic: Strange place of birth on census!  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
Strange place of birth on census!
« on: Saturday 20 March 04 03:51 GMT (UK) »
 :)Does anyone else have an ancester who gives a different, and sometimes strange, place of birth on each census?
I believe my 2nd great grandmother to have been born in Whaplode Drove, Lincoln in 1845 but she is making life very difficult for me!
On the 1871 census she gives her place of birth as Warply, Lincoln. In  1881 it's Lincoln, Lincoln and in 1891 it's Wapple ( no County ) and just to confuse me further on the 1901 census it's Stalybridge, Lancs.
I know it's the right person as my great grandmother was born in Stalybridge.
Could Warple and Wapple possibly be Whaplode drove?
Aaron
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
Re:Strange place of birth on census!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 March 04 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Dear Aaron,

I think that Whaplode, Wapple and Warple certainly sound very similar if you say them fast !

RootsChat :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline Darcy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Searching for little needles in big haystacks
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 March 04 20:16 GMT (UK) »
 ::)   Thanks RootsChat!
I remember reading somewhere that due to a strong regional accent and the inability to read and write the enumerator's job was often a bit difficult.
2nd great grandma seems to have had gypsy in her soul as she is in a different county on every census - either that or she was evading the law!
Aaron in OZ

PS - the problem was the householder - not the enumerator!
Fisher, Pitts, Lucas, Emmit, Keal, Bennett, Maddock, Jackson, Pidd, Lincolnshire <br />Bullock, Read, White, Gloucestershire.<br />Shepherd, Foyle, Crowter, Green, Wiltshire<br />Strickland, Fisher, Butterworth, Brown, Northhamptonshire<br />Shepherd, Bullock, Waterhouse, Lancashire
Fisher, Goodwin, Rutland
<br /><br /><br /> Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 March 04 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Actually I think the problems are a mixture of the both.  Part of my family moved from Devon and when they did theirs names seem to have changed.  

The same family had children in Devon registered as Vicary and in Wales as Vickery.  The Shaplands are sometimes Shopland,  probably because of their accent.

Kazza.  :)
Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 March 04 08:57 GMT (UK) »
My ggf was apparently born in 4 different places, in 2 counties. His birth certificate had him born in Llangernyw, his obitury had him born in Gwytherin and his census returns were (born in) Llangernyw, Llansannan and Llangystennin. Luckily they are all within a few miles of each other, but apparently he had a sense of humour and didn't take the emunerator too seriously.
In one census, he and his family were listed as all bein bilingual (Welsh and English). In the next, only his children were bilingual. He and his wife spoke only Welsh!
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II