Author Topic: BRISCOE - Bolton  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
BRISCOE - Bolton
« on: Saturday 08 September 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
I am interested in anyone with connections to BRISCOE in the Bolton area.

Also one ended up in London at the end of the 19th century, others around Chadderton, Oldham and Rochdale, one in Heaton Norris.

Martin Briscoe

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
Re: BRISCOE - Bolton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 January 18 05:45 GMT (UK) »
 :)Hello Martin,
Yours is a very old posting but I just found it. My Aunt (mother's sister) married Alphonso Briscoe and my 3 Briscoe cousins from that marriage are still alive and living in and around Abram.

You don't give any names to check but if you are still interested post again and I will see if we have connections. I've asked to be notified by email if you reply.

OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 22 January 18 08:39 GMT (UK) »
:)Hello Martin,
Yours is a very old posting but I just found it. My Aunt (mother's sister) married Alphonso Briscoe and my 3 Briscoe cousins from that marriage are still alive and living in and around Abram.

You don't give any names to check but if you are still interested post again and I will see if we have connections. I've asked to be notified by email if you reply.

OzzieJoan

Thanks, I have never seen that name before.  Just looked on Ancestry and see there are a few trees with the name.  They seem to be around Wigan, that is one area where I don't have any connections.

My Briscoes are centred on Bolton though odd branches have appeared in other parts of the country.   There have been several generations with "James" in the name then before that "Peter" and "Robert".

One very identifiable characteristic since the early 19th Century is the use of "Daley" as second name.  This was used in various branches and continues today in one branch.

If you are in Australia, I did not think any of the family ended up there but last year I found an illegitimate second cousin there, initially through DNA.  He did not have the Briscoe name but an earlier person in the branch had used it as a second name.

POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 January 18 08:56 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't realised it until I looked at the index for my Tree, but most of my BRISCOE family came from Shropshire and the more recent ones are in or around Wigan.
Good luck with your research
OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 22 January 18 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I hadn't realised it until I looked at the index for my Tree, but most of my BRISCOE family came from Shropshire and the more recent ones are in or around Wigan.
Good luck with your research
OzzieJoan

I did notice a cluster of the name in Shropshire some time ago but don't know of any connection. 

I keep hoping some Briscoe who appear on one of the DNA sites so that I can compare.  Particularly some from Cumberland where there seem quite a number and even a village called "Brisco".  Crofton Hall was owned by a Briscoe family.

O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Panland06

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 September 21 22:00 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Shropshire Briscoes in the 1600s. Do you have any good resources to suggest?