Author Topic: Anderson, Shiells and Marr  (Read 33780 times)

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson, Shiells and Marr
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

Just came across your post through a Google search - even though I've posted on this thread before! ;D

It seems very likely that the same Robert Marr (b. North Berwick) was married to Margaret Stewart and then to your great-grandmother, Martha Sloan. Margaret (Stewart) died in 1847 and Robert was described as widowed in 1851. In 1852, he married Martha and by 1861, they had 5 children together. Robert's daughter, Margaret, was not staying with them as she had already married to William Gullan in 1857.

hume24 :)

Offline Billy D

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 25 July 08 12:56 BST (UK) »

Any info would be great

My Great Great Grandad marr was from Waterford or Wexford Ireland,,,,he went to america then Settled in Liverpool uk,,,,,must be very early 1800s

Bill
Maher/Ireland/Liverpool
Daley/Liverpool
Dixon/Liverpool
Maddocks/Liverpool

Offline imtex

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Marr Family
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 06 August 08 00:19 BST (UK) »
Gerry

Just signed onto this yesterday and picked up on your note last year.

Thought you would like to know, your grandfather Charles Marr had a brother Alfred Marr who married Mary Hogg. They in turn had a son Fred Marr (who I have just learnt sadly recently passed away) and a daughter Margaret Thomson Marr who married John Turner in 1945. Margaret & John are my parents (Mum is now 87 and Dad is 89).

Hope all is well?

Cheers, Ian

Offline marrsayers

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 02:20 BST (UK) »
I'm a descendent of the Marr's of Dunbar, Scotland. William Marr (1811-1879) was my g-g-g-grandfather. He came to Australia about 1829 and married Mary Ann Sayers in Hobart, Tasmania in 1840. I'd be interested to know details of any ancestry back in Scotland.

Steve

Offline Scotty60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 October 08 17:28 BST (UK) »
One of my Ancestors, George Whitson (1720) married Alison Marr(1721) she is one of the North Berwick Marrs.

Scotty
Henderson,Simpson,Horne,Whitson,Bathgate,Derrick

Offline gladys1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 October 08 12:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Scotty60,    all i have on the Marr`s family is Anne Marr born 1782 who married my James Combs her   parents  were Peter Marr & Ann Bruce.       Gladys1 :)

Offline Martha Ann

• I am sorry but my email is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • I think my life is tough till I remember Grandma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 October 08 12:54 BST (UK) »
I think the Marr family moved between North Berwickand Dunbar, and sometimes Cockenzie /Port Seton / Prestonpans.

My G - Grandfather Robert Marr was born in North Berwick in 1803.   He had a sister Anne who was the first child of the family and born in Leith (1800) but all the rest of the family were born in North Berwick.  Mary (1801) Robert (1803) Jean (Jane) (1806) William (1808) Janet (1810) and Peter (1811).   Their parents were Robert Marr and Janet Russell who married in Leith in 1799. 

At some point either the whole family, or Robert when he got to working age, moved to Dunbar.  Am still trying to track the deaths of the parents.

The Port of Leith and these other villages are all fairly close on the Firth of Forth so it is extremely likely they would just have moved from one village to another depending on work.

The Marr men were all involved in the lifeboats and I have an interesting news cutting of a rescue which I am happy to try and post if anyone is interested.

Annie
Marr, Robertson, Phillips, Fain, Sloan, Dairon, Bennett, Hamilton, Wells, Overton, Simpson, Punton/Punton.

Offline Scotty60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 20 October 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Gladys 1
I only have Alison Marr and her father Richard in my tree, Marrs don't pop up anywhere else in my researches. Thanks for replying though.

Scotty

Hello Scotty60,    all i have on the Marr`s family is Anne Marr born 1782 who married my James Combs her   parents  were Peter Marr & Ann Bruce.       Gladys1 :)
Henderson,Simpson,Horne,Whitson,Bathgate,Derrick

Offline Pool88

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

My 3rd great grandfather was also Captain William Marr of Dunbar, born 1812. I am new to rootschat so feel free to reply  :)
I believe Captain started the Marr families in Australia, I am from Henry Mawney Marr's line.

Cheers