Author Topic: A HOCKING mystery  (Read 5848 times)

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A HOCKING mystery
« on: Monday 10 September 07 12:42 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

Many years ago a family history researcher rang my grandmother and said that they were distantly related. Naturally she was sceptical but he then sent a massive computer print out of his tree and it turns out that they are. Anyway this sparked my interest as I have been struggling with my Cornish roots and quite frankly getting no-where.  Well I now have that print out... and I'm still stuck!

The problem is one Mary Ann(e) Hocking. She married John Head at St Johns, Holloway, Middx on 30 September 1867 and according to the certificate her father was John Hocking, a Mason. They called their first son John and he later adopted the middle name Hocking.

Mary Ann's census returns after her marriage state that she was born in Truro Cornwall, around 1845. Problem is that I cannot find *any* Mary Ann(e)s or Marys or Anns born in the GRO in Truro at that time. The closest I can find is one in Redruth, but the father's name is wrong.

To add to the confusion that printout states that Mary Ann Hocking was born in Truro on 5 May 1845. Thing is she isn't listed in the GRO.  I have also failed to find her before her marriage in any census. Mary an Hocking is a very common name and I cannot pin any of those I have found listed to the right place or parents.

Is anyone else researching the Hockings? Do you have a Mary Ann who marries a Head in 1867?

J.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Hocking mystery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 September 07 13:16 BST (UK) »
There is a John and mary Ann Head -2 eldest children John and Ada - if these are "yours"
in1871 Mary Ann gives her p.o.b. as merthyr Cornwall
and a later census as Trim Cornwall -by 1901 it is Truro Cornwall.

Might this be your family?
or is it a different one?

Are there any witnesses on marriage cert who may be related to mary  Ann?

Suz

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 September 07 14:15 BST (UK) »
Picking up on Suzard's find ....

There IS a John Hocking in MERTHER in 1851.

He is a Mason - but old enough to be your lass' grandfather .... so, if theres a chance of illegitimacy, he may have been named on her Marriage Cert - not at all unusual ...

1851 - HO107/1909; Folio: 88; Page: 8 - Merther

Daughters:-

Eliza Hocking 14 
Emma Hocking 18 
Jane Hocking 16 

Also in the Truro District, which covers Merther, theres a couple of 'unamed' entries ..

Births Dec 1844   

HOCKING  Female     Truro  Vol 9 Page 294

and ...

Births Sep 1846   

Hocking  Female      Truro  Vol 9 Page 233

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 September 07 14:21 BST (UK) »
In 1841 John has an older daughter (Mary ... ) not still with him in 1851 .... maybe seeing ifshe marries pre-1851, will find her with a daughter Mary (Ann) with Step-fathers name ?

After a quick look at 3 or 4 candidates, none the wiser ...   :(

HO107/148/2; Merther; District: 1; Folio: 5; Page: 5
'Crearton'

John Hocking 45  Mason
Ann Hocking 45 
Mary Hocking 20
Henry Hocking 10   
Emma Hocking 7 
Jane Hocking 6 
Eliza Hocking 4
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 September 07 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi!

Many thanks for the replies. I guess I should clarify the state of the family after Mary Ann and John married, apologies for not doing so earlier.

On the Marriage certificate the two whitenesses are William and Elizabeth Rod, both marked. The bride and groom look like they signed *but* the script is identical and looks the same as the rest of the document. So that's a bit odd.

Anyway. They lived in Horsel, Surrey. . In 1871 I have them in Twickenham Row with a son John and Daughter Ada. So this is the family that Suzard found. In 1881 they are in Cheapside Horsell, with 5 additional children ( Amelia, Stephen, Arthur, William and Fredrick) and in 1891 a new child, Ruth. Again these look like the ones that Suzard has. I don't have the 1901 census, but Mary's birth place is Truro in  1891, Trim in 1881 and might be Myrther (it's difficult to read on my copy) in 1871.

I confess that I do not know Cornwall at all well so do not know how each of the above parishes relate to each other, or even if they are parishes.

The Marrage was on Sept 30 1867 and Mary Ann states that she is 22, giving a birth date of around 1845. She's consitant in the census as well, 46 in 1891, 35 in 1881 and 25 in 1871.

There are family tales of a 'Betsy' being illegitimate and being born in Cornwall but at present I can't tie this to Mary Ann. Sadly I do not know if Mary is a 1st, 2nd or subsequent child but calling the daughter after the mother was common then so the Mary in Merther could be her mother (particularly as *her* mother is Ann). The problem is that if she is then Mary Ann would be illegitimate as if the elder Mary married she would no-longer be a Hocking (?)

According to free bmd there are 6 Mary/Mary Ann hockings born around 1845, and most of them are in Redruth. Not sure of the unnamed entries, how can I trace them?

Births Jun 1844
Hocking    Mary        Truro
Hocking    Mary Ann     Redruth   

Births Sep 1845         
Hocking    Mary Ann   Redruth

Births Mar 1846 
Hocking    Mary Ann    Redruth

Births Sep 1846
Hocking    Mary Ann    Penzance   
Hocking    Mary Ann    Redruth   

My problem is that I have tried 2 of these and neither have fathers called John. So I would expect quite a few 4-6 year olds in the 1851 census.  Unfortunately I don't have access to Ancestry so can only check by visiting the family records centre in London, till it closes that is!

I guess that the way forward would be to check all the 4-6 year old Hockings in Cornwall and try to find a match. The of course assumes that they are in Cornwall and have not moved, that John is still around, that Mary Ann hasn't been adopted (I've got adopted ancestors on other branches) and so on. Any other pointers/ ideas would be gratefully received!

J

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 September 07 21:22 BST (UK) »
I think I saw an Elizabeth with a Mary Ann -think she was a year older -will back track what I looked at and hopefully post it later tonight.

I think they were born Cornwall but living elsewhere!!!!

But this is all from a passing glance - the Betsey (possibly Elizabeth ?) jogged my memory

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 September 07 21:34 BST (UK) »
Many thanks,

I just did a quick BMD check on the deaths of 'John Hocking'. Big mistake there are a few hundred possible! Hopefully you'll find Mary and Elizabeth with him, he's not listed as deceased on Mary Ann's Marrage cert.

Offline Stewart R

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: A HOCKING mystery
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 March 08 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just found this topic and it reminded me of a bloodline on my grandmothers side that a great uncle had traced many years ago. In his research he  revealed that my Grandmothers Maiden name of "Hawkin" used to be spelled "Hocking". It seemed that as most people were illiterate at that time, they had no idea how their name was spelled, only how it sounded. With regional accents the way they are it was not suprising that such severe misspellings occurred. My ancestors military record had recorded his name as "Hocking" but back home in his native Cornwall the local documents had recorded his and his children's name as "Hawkin". (try saying "Hocking" with a Cornish lilt and you will see what I mean.)

This lot is probably of no use to you but the subject heading drew me like a magnet :D

Regards

Stewart
Reid, Wolfendale, Hawkin, Tapp
Plymouth, Macclesfield, Liverpool.