Author Topic: Oran Parish  (Read 5844 times)

Offline ceel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Oran Parish
« on: Wednesday 12 September 07 04:23 BST (UK) »
Is there any way to find records of Oran Parish birth records for 1808? My gg-grandmother, Hanora Grady, was from Oran Parish, Ballyglass, County Roscommon, born about 1808. She married James Balfe about 1825. She had son William, born 1826 and daughters Ann, Mary and Jane. She was Catholic. Cathy

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Oran Parish
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 07 00:08 BST (UK) »
There are several Ballyglass townlands in Co. Roscommon, but none within Oran Civil Parish.
http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/MAPS/oran.html
Ballyglass Lower and Upper may be within Oran Catholic Parish, perhaps someone can confirm. Records are not available prior to 1864.
Peter

Offline ceel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 07 02:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the information.  I am going by the information on her headstone.  She died in 1865 in Indiana and it says from Ballyglass, Oran Parish, Roscommon Ireland. I would guess her son William supplied the information as he lived there too. He immigrated in 1848 but I don't know when Hanora came. Cathy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 07 09:19 BST (UK) »
Sometimes microfilmed copies of church records are available through LDS (which you can order at your local LDS library) but nothing for Oran Parish is listed in LDS catalogue.
Ballyglass Lower and Upper may be within Oran Catholic Parish, perhaps someone can confirm. Records are not available prior to 1864.
Peter- does the date 1864 that you give refer to civil records or church records? Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages began in 1864.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Coolcam1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 07 15:37 BST (UK) »
It seems that Roscommon Heritage and Genealogical Centre have Oran Parish Baptisms and Marriages, 1864-1900 (coincidental with the start of civil registration).  The National Library and LDS have none. Perhaps some older records are held locally in Oran (now Cloverhill) Parish.
Peter