Author Topic: Caer Street, Newportr and Pillgwenlly  (Read 4395 times)

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Caer Street, Newportr and Pillgwenlly
« on: Sunday 19 December 04 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

My original Irish imigrant ancestors married at St. Mary's Church, newport on the 26th July 1846.

George Dinneen, full age, batchelow, labourer, Caer St. Newport, father Daniel Dinneen, a labourer
and
Ellen Ring / Reen, full age, spinster, Huxter (!), Pillgwenlly, Father John Ring/Reen, a butcher

From other sources I know that they were born in Ireland (no dates), and I assume that they emigrated to Wales due to the great famine. They were of course Roman Catholic and dirt poor.

My questions:
What is a Huxter? (so far been described as either a lady of ill repute or some sort of barrow boy like Molly Malone - don't know if either is true or if this was special to Wales!)
Where is Pillgwenlly (can't find it anywhere)
Does anyone have access to the 1841 census to see if they were already in Wales in 1841?

Any info gratefully recieved
Thanks and regards,
Adrian

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Caer Street, Newportr and Pillgwenlly
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 December 04 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Adrian ......... Huckster is a dealer or seller of goods in a small way!  I have read that it is often a woman (never heard of your other explanation) but those that I've found have been men and they were in Kent!

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Cas,

Tx for response. Sorry took me so long to reply but was out of commisssion for a bit.

Interesting that you have only ever found the term huxter in reference to men.

Adrian

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 23:51 BST (UK) »
Just seen your request , Pillgwenlly is a ward in the city of Newport situated on the west bank of the river Usk.   You may wish to try the Monmouthshire link
Cheers Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire