Author Topic: Joseph Voss arrived Victoria 1857  (Read 9171 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Voss arrived Victoria 1857
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 13:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again, Sue.  I'm going to have to invest in a map of Australia, my geography is so bad.

Gillg
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 13:25 BST (UK) »
Genni

Just a thought.... if Joseph's father was a blacksmith, he could very well have the learned the skills himself and become a "Farrier", not "Furrier", as described on the handwritten ship's passenger list which I have.

Gillg

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline gennig

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 15:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillg

The only Fairey/Voss connection I found in the Victorian Indexes is as follows:-

Naomi BODGER who died in Victoria in 1880 Aged 45 Reg: 3675  She was born in Huntingdon
Parents: John FAIREY & Thomasine VOSS

She came to Victoria with her husband James in January 1865 on "Forest Rights".

Regards

Genni
All census look up transcriptions are Crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames:
Armstrong, Gray, Greco, Lambden, Le Busque, Beaton, Carron, Pitt, Gould
Areas:
Victoria, Tasmania, Hampshire, Berkshire, Yorkshire, Fermanagh, Glamorgan

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Genni

Naomi Bodger nee Fairey was the older sister of my gt-grandfather Amos Fairey.  I have quite  bit of information about her from a Bodger family member, including that sailing date.  Her mother Thomasin's surname is sometimes given as Voss, though she was actually born illegitimately to Elizabeth Lawson, suspected father John Dixey.  A few years after Thomasin's birth Elizabeth married Richard Voss or Vause, and had lots of children, so I guess it was easier for Thomasin to be known as Voss, too.  However, on her marriage record her name is correctly given as Lawson. 

More confusion was caused by the death certificate of Naomi's brother James Fairey, who emigrated to NZ.  His parents' names were given on the cert as John Fairey and Mary Voss, so you can guess what confusion that has caused among the researchers in the family.  It has taken several years to sort that one out!  His grandmother was called Mary, and I guess he spoke about his mother as Voss, don't know....

You can see why I might be interested in the two Josephs, Fair(e)y and Voss now.

Cheers,

Gillg

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 September 07 04:42 BST (UK) »
Kia Ora
Rather belatedly I am joining this very helpful scenario !
JOSEPH FAIRY was one of  my ancestors! As far as we know the earliest to arrive in Australia in Feb 1857 on the Shooting Star.

Joseph is "at home" with his parents in 1851 & doesn't appear as a witness nor any other papers I have to link him to Connington after that.

Joseph is on the 1899 Electoral Roll as a "gentleman" living at 21 Chusan Street and died in 1908 at St Kilda. He is buried at Springvale.

At some time we understand he "married' Harriet BRACE. Certainly Harriet who died August 1896 is buried in the same plot.

There is a Harriet BRACE who also travelled in October 1857 to Melbourne BUT I wonder if she married twice? I am unable to find a marriage and her surname was unknown by the Informant on Joseph's Death Certificate

Could anyone find a Harriet married to a Brace earlier? Joseph & Harriet Fair(e)y appear to have had no children as Joseph's Will thoughtfully covered several relations still in England!

Being another who is geographically challenged does anything above indicate Joseph Fairy & Joseph Voss lived nearby?
Many thanks for any advice/help!
Marlene

HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 22 September 07 05:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
Do you mean are the electoral roll address for Joseph Fairey... Cushan Street St Kilda
and
The death registration address for Joseph Voss  ..East Melbourne
near each other in Melbourne?

The answer is.

Not very. Perhaps 5 kilometers.

However, there were then and are today some hospitals in East Melbourne so this may not have been his address.
Cushan street is srill there but is now in the suburb designated Balaclava .
I'm not sure if I have answered your question!
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 22 September 07 06:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

I notice on Harriet FAIRY's death registration in 1896 her father is noted as John BRACE, mother UNKNOWN.  Reg No 11530. 

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 22 September 07 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Marlene

So glad you have joined me on this thread, since it was you who started me on this line of inquiry originally by sending me the ship's passenger list for the "Shooting Star".  That Joseph Voss came not from our usual Hunts/Beds/Northants hunting ground but from Dorset just adds to the mystery of why these two were travelling together, doesn't it?

And aren't folks helpful on this board?  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Gill

Offline Dale

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 22 September 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi
I guess 5 km wasn't too far given Joseph F was a "gentleman" & probably had some form of transport?? Thanks for the info Sue.
I have no idea whether Joseph F went to somewhere near Dorset or Joseph V visited rellies in Hunts or whether they perhaps met at the docks & decided to travel together? There  doesn't appear to be any likely connections does there?
Thanks Cando for Harriet's parentage - another mystery!?  If Joseph didn't know Harriet's mother's name at Harriet's death in 1896 I doubt there would be any further clues on a marriage cert if one exists!
Might there be a Will for Joseph Voss? I think you need a number and I'm unsure how to get that- any advice?
Many thanks!
Cheers
Marlene

HUNTS: Fairy, Ding, Scotney, Swinton, Burgess, Brace
BEDS: Farey, Fairy,  Young, Rootham, Gell, Wildman, Cooper. Deighton, Flavel.
NORTHANTS: Hills, Mobbs, Twelftrees,
DERBY: Fairey,
LONDON: Fairey, Fairy, Burgess, Williams, Tanser, Picknell, Vinall, Plampin, Mullins, Day, Folwell, Bamfield, Brown
WATFORD HERTS; Burgess, Williams
WARKS: Fairy, Ward, Stephens, Reeves, Hodgkiss, Byrne, Hunt, Edgeworth, Harper, Dudley,
WORCS: Callow, Lowe