Author Topic: Looking for JACOBSON and WARKE family's  (Read 9425 times)

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for JACOBSON and WARKE family's
« Reply #36 on: Monday 07 January 19 04:05 GMT (UK) »
PROV, Richard’s will:

208/870

Richard T VAUGHAN Date of grant: 14 Jul 1926; Date of death: 15 Jun 1926; Occupation: Observatory Attendant; Residence: Nth Williamstown
PHYSICAL ITEM: Not yet digitised
DATE:1926
SERIES:Wills
AGENCY:Master of the Supreme Court
CITATION:VPRS 7591/ P2  unit 735,  item 208/870

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline SimonDu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 07 January 19 04:06 GMT (UK) »
OK thanks for pointing that out Jamjar

Offline brunyisland2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 07 January 19 04:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Simon
I know some descendants of Charles Seymour Vaughan b1878 but of course I can't disclose their names on this forum or any other forum. However I can still share my research with you.

I have a vague recollection that there were some inaccuracies in the following reports when I did a timeline or similar but I can't remember what they were.

Williamstown Advertiser, 19 June 1926
Time-Ball Supervisor Dead.
INTERESTING FIGURE PASSES.
MR. R. T. VAUGHAN'S RECORD.
The death of Mr. Richard Thomas Vaughan, which occurred at his home, 19 Thomas-street, North Williamstown, on Tuesday, is regretted by a large number of friends throughout Australia and in almost equal degree by hundreds who knew him as the supervisor of the time ball and tide gauge at Williamstown. He filled this position ably for 37 years, and his zeal was frequently commended by navigatiors and shipping companies. His passing marks the close of a cycle of eventful years for Williamstown.
The late Mr. Vaughan was born 76 years ago on the site of Federal Parliament House, Melbourne, where his father conducted the business of a glass bender and embosser. His recollections dated back to the time when the Williamstown foreshore was a dumping ground for criminals. The small octagonal building in which he recorded the tide gauge was fitted with loopholes, and was originally used as a guard house against prisoners making their escape.
Mr. Vaughan joined the navy at the age of 10 years. He served for a time as powder monkey on the warship Port Arthur. His next appointment was on a billy-boy schooner trading from London to Germany and Russia. Later he transferred to an American "hellfire" packet running across the Atlantic. He returned to Australia in 1864 on the clipper Sirocco, which brought 365 migrants from London. In 1866 he voyaged to Japan, and before the trip was ended he experienced one of the most trying ordeals of an unusually adventurous life. The ship on which he was sailing was buffeted by an Atlantic gale and put into an Irish port for repairs. The Fenian trouble was being ruthlessly put down, and the crew, who were mistaken for rebels, were summarily treated by the "Castle" government.
Returning to Australia in 1871, Mr. Vaughan joined the vessel which conveyed the first party of workers to Darwin to construct the telegraph line to Adelaide. Rejoining the navy in 1876, he was attached to Sir Charles Hotham's yacht, Victoria, which was then doing duty as a survey ship. In the following year he was transferred to the Cerberus. He remained in the service in varying capacities until he was incapacitated by illness some ten days before his death. The tide ball did not drop during his absence.
The funeral took place on Wednesday, the cortege leaving Thomas-street for St. Mary's Church. After prayers for the dead were recited, interment was made at the Williamstown cemetery. The rev. M. Flannery, P. P., officiated at the graveside, and the funeral arrangements were in the capable hands of Mr. Ernest W. Jackson. Deceased leaves a widow, two sons, and one daughter.

http://www.cerberus.com.au/muster_dadabik/index.php?table_name=crew&function=details&where_field=ID&where_value=138
Victorian Navy Muster for the Colony of Victoria. (muster range 1856-1910)*
Details
Last_Name   Vaughan
First_Name   R. T.
Rank   Chief Petty Officer
DOB   00-00-1850
Branch   Permanent Force
MR. R. T. VAUGHAN
Chief Petty Officer

On Wednesday, the remains of Mr. R. T. Vaughan were interred in the local cemetery by Mr. E.W. Jackson. Mr. Vaughan was born in Spring street, Melbourne, 76 years ago, and for the past 37 years had attended daily at the Breakwater Pier and dropped the time ball at 1 o'clock, and also checked the tide gauge. In 1861, when a lad of 10, he joined the man o war, Prince Arthur, and then had a seafaring life until 1876, when he retired, and joined the Victorian navy, being attached to the Victoria, then doing duty as a survey ship. In the following year he transferred to the Cerberus, and held the rank of chief petty officer. He resided at No 10 Thomas street, North Williamstown, and the cause of death was pneumonia. For the ten days during which he was ill, the time ball was neglected. Mr. Vaughan, some years ago, detailed some interesting information to a Melbourne daily regarding the historical surroundings of the old time ball tower at Williamstown.

The Argus, 19 June 1926
died: 14-6-1936
source:
Victorian Navy Monument, Williamstown Cemetery

Erected by the Officers, Petty Officers and Men of the Permanent Naval Force of Victoria

In Memory of their Deceased Comrades

Large Monument surmounted by Large Anchor

courtesy of Helen Harris, OAM

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 07 January 19 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Simon and yourself can use the PM system to exchange information.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline SimonDu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 07 January 19 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those articles, Jenny. I had picked up most of that info from my own Trove searches. But I am interested in the large monument mentioned - do you know any more about that? Does it mention RT Vaughan specifically or is it just a general memorial to 'deceased comrades'?

There was an excellent feature in 1922 I think in the Williamstown Chronicle which I found on Trove, in which Mr Vaughan recounts highlights from his life.

I'd happily communicate more in some sort of direct message if you like, but am pleased to have found the 2 Vaughan brothers both married Jacobson sisters - Thanks to everyone on this stream for unearthing that nugget.

Offline brunyisland2010

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 07 January 19 10:49 GMT (UK) »
I just googled Victorian Navy Monument, Williamstown Cemetery and in images you can see the monument with lots of names including R Vaughan CPO and date of death.
Jamjar suggested we could use the message system that I had forgotten about after such a long break from this forum so that would work for me. I have plenty to share when I get back to my PC. Are you aware that the parents of Richard born 1849 were convicts so their records are freely available online at State Archives Tas. I have an article about Richard's trial at the old Bailey. Naval records for Charles Seymour b1878 and his son Charles Seymour born 1904 are on the NAA website. I have a scanned copy of a photo of Charles and Nell and 2 of their boys Wilfred and Charles c1910 from the family.  I'll message you later in the week.
cheers
Jenny

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I took a look if I could find Johann Nicholas in Denmark and I believe I have found him.

Birth - 19 Feb 1846 in Møgeltønder Parish, Tønder:
http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=38309718

1850 Census in Møgeltønder Parish, Tønder:
http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=17275889

1855 Census in Møgeltønder Parish, Tønder (2nd to last family):
http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=17432036

1860 Census in Møgeltønder Parish, Tønder (family at top):
http://ao.sa.dk/ao/data.ashx?bid=255427

Ian

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 08 January 19 11:44 GMT (UK) »
Also, what looks to be his leaving Denmark/Schlesvig in 1872 deserting from the army: