Author Topic: Windmill Millers of Suffolk  (Read 40450 times)

Offline chandos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Windmill Millers of Suffolk
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 07:34 BST (UK) »
Interesting site.  Can you recommend any photos of the Sudbourne area.   Our family tree includes George Mannall who married Sarah Lambert in 1840 in Woodbridge.   He is described as Grain Farmer and Miller in Sudbourne and she was from Grundisburgh.    May be myth but the story has come down that the family thought mechanization was the work of the Devil - they preferred to rely on natural elements such as wind and water power... so they lost out to modernization! 
Fretwell - Warwickshire, Norfolk, Surrey, London (Middlesex).   Fewell - Essex and Surrey.   Mannall - Suffolk and Surrey.   Newman - Surrey.   Odell - Warwickshire.   Carr, Dell, Blakesly - London and Hertfordshire
Sansom - Devon
Else - Kent

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Chandos,

I don't have any windmills in Sudbourne as such, though there was one on the Sudbourne road between Orford and Sudbourne.  No Mannell is recorded there (Martin or Markin, any relation?).

Manell's had mills in the following:-

William Mannell  Stratford Saint Andrew c.1844-53
John Mannell Westleton c.1844
John Mannell Charsfield c.1869
George Mannell Charsfield c.1874

Any other detail?

Well, hope this helps

Windy_miller
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline chandos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 04 October 07 01:02 BST (UK) »
My ancestor, George Mannall died in and is buried at Charsfield (1890) so my guess is that's the area he worked. His daughter, Mary Ann, is my Great-Grandmother.  I haven't looked at them for a while so I'll check and get back with more detail.    Some of the other places members of this Mannall family lived were Friston, Kelsale and Iken.   Thank you for starting this thread.       
Fretwell - Warwickshire, Norfolk, Surrey, London (Middlesex).   Fewell - Essex and Surrey.   Mannall - Suffolk and Surrey.   Newman - Surrey.   Odell - Warwickshire.   Carr, Dell, Blakesly - London and Hertfordshire
Sansom - Devon
Else - Kent

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 04 October 07 10:35 BST (UK) »
Glad my info was useful.  The mill at Charsfield was first in the occupation of John Mannell (between c.1859 - 1868?), then George (between c.1868 - 1887?) when it was taken over by George Keen.  She was a postmill (like Saxtead) demolished about 1917, having been moved from Letheringham c.1860, replacing an older mill.  I have no info on whether she had any auxiliary power (steam/oil) so that would fit in with your families oral history.

Do you know the connection between John & George and/or when John died?  Was George Keen related, as they were often passed on to sons-in-law/nephews, etc?

Interestingly the other mill in Charsfield was in the occupation of an Ezekiel Markin, poss. a relative of the millers in between Sudbourne and Orford, from where your man came.  Huummm!

As for photos; I'd be surprised if she wasn't snapped.  You could try the Muggeridge Collection at :-

http://library.kent.ac.uk/library/special/html/mills/suffolk.htm

or try asking at The Mills Archive:-

www.millarchive.com

windy_miller
windmills, watermills, steam-mills, bark-mills, cotton mills, &c. millwrights & millers

Offline chandos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 05 October 07 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for those links.   I've had a quick look and have signed up on one and plan to look at them more closely once our Thanksgiving (this weekend) is over and the family's all gone home again - well stuffed!! (Turkey and family!)

My George Mannall is at Mill Hill, Woodbridge, in the 1841 Census, then in Debach (occupation Miller) for the 1861 Census.   I believe they were based in Debach for quite a while as GGrandmother was married from there in 1868.  'My' George's father is in Brandeston as an Ag Lab on the 1841 Census.  I believe George had a brother John, born 1819 in Sudbourn but whether he is the Miller you refer to I don't know for sure.   Another brother, James was born in 1825 and William in 1826... all in Sudbourne. Unfortunately they weren't too imaginative and repeatedly christened boys George, James and John so they're a bit hard to sort out.

I don't have anything relating to the names Keen or Markin but will keep you posted if I find a link.  Thanks again for all your information.
Sansom - Devon
Else - Kent

Offline windy_miller

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 11 October 07 19:42 BST (UK) »
Chandos,

There were at least 4 windmills on Mill Hill, Woodbridge, and I have had very little luck linking millers to mills.  Do you have any clues?

I think I'll have to go done to the IRO and look at the old maps, sometimes they have millers names next to their mills.

Windy_miller

Offline revlac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 12 October 07 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chandos
I dont know if you have already looked but as I was looking on  The Mills Archive for my Markin ancestors I found a John Mannall at Westleton, mill name ? type - post mill dated ? - 1846 and the mill at Charsfield either run by my Ezekiel Markin 1868 or George Mannall. Just thought I would let you know.
Regards
revlac
Markin, Durrant, Rooks, Jones, Thomas (South Wales)

Offline chandos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 October 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Revlac.   The Mills Archive is one I've signed up for so it's great to have your suggestion -- Not having been familiar with the area when I lived in England,  I'm learning a lot about Suffolk/Norfolk geography and history now I'm trying to trace my Mannalls!     
Sansom - Devon
Else - Kent

Offline revlac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 October 07 18:49 BST (UK) »
Your Welcome :)

revlac
Markin, Durrant, Rooks, Jones, Thomas (South Wales)