Author Topic: florence may bodimead  (Read 3318 times)

Offline kascon

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
florence may bodimead
« on: Tuesday 18 September 07 11:59 BST (UK) »
this is my adopted maternal grandmother. i have found her birth i think in barnet 1902 but i cant find her husband reginald charles giles. i have their marragie via a genaeology site owned by andrew millard 1926 barnet. can anyone find him for me.
i have no idea who their parents were or anything about them and my mum is refusing to cooperate. i do know that florence known all her life as Cis had a brother Jim or James can anyone help. i cant afford to get certs so dont even mention it.
my grandfather had a little wood/electrical shop in Romford Giles and son til 70's.
kas
Shearn, Courtier, Eames, Maynard, Fursse.
Turner, Giles, Bodimead
all London based

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: florence may bodimead
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 12:23 BST (UK) »
looking on BMD there are these births for Reginald C* Giles
unfortunalety i cannot tell you which one is yours!

Reginald Charles A Giles Q4 1897 Southampton 2c 19
Reginald Charles Giles Q1 1902 Reading 2c 347
do. Q4 1903 Edmonton 3a 429
Reginald C Giles mmn Penny Q2 1912 Yeovil 5c 646
do. mmn Payne Q3 1913 Wandsworth 1d 1170

it would help if you knew the area he was born or if after 1911 his mothers maiden name.

the first one Reginald Charles A Giles shold be on the 1901 census

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline kascon

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 12:55 BST (UK) »
hi
it might be the edmonton one as i know a lot of the family are from london. unfortunately my mother has gone in for an operation today and cant be reached for a few days. i possibly could try to contact my cousin as his father was supposed to have doen the tree a few ywars ago. but we dont really have any communication with him and he is 10 years older than me you cant really call us close.
i know my mum said the family didnt know much about him as he had had a row with his family over something that had happened years before and he didnt speak to his brothers. i think it had something to do with his dads death but dont quote me.
kas
Turner, Giles, Bodimead
all London based

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 13:11 BST (UK) »
i hope your mothers op. goes ok.

there does seem to be this gap in information between 1901 &  1911 simply because the mothers maiden names were not recorded in the BMD until Q4 1911 and the 1911 census is not available yet due to the 100 year rule.

if you could possibly find the marriage certifcate for Reginald & Florence then this should give both their fathers names, (providing they weren't illegitimate) we could then possibly find Reginalds father on the 1901 census, the marriage cert shoudl give his age also and would help narrow down which birth is his.

also did he have any other siblings? this could help to find them. if the siblings wer eborn after 1911 then the mothers maiden name would be included in the index and if they were born prior to 1901 we could find them onthe 1901 census.

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 September 07 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kas

i cant afford to get certs so dont even mention it

Speaking as one who nearly had to take out a second mortgage when I started my own research, I know how expensive it becomes if you have to send for more than one or two @ £7 a time

However - sometimes it's the only way to get the information you need to help compile your family tree and to make sure you have the right person.  It's so easy to go off down the wrong track if you don't have anything to back it up. 

I love that surname Bodimead - it's really unusual but there are quite a few Reginald Giles born within a few years of Florence

Perhaps you could consider just starting first of all with Florence's birth certificate.  That will give you both her parents names and her mothers maiden name.  With that information, we should (hopefully) be able to find them on the 1901 and earlier censuses for you

When you have all the available info on Florence and her family, you could then consider buying a copy of the 1926 marriage cert to get Reginalds age at that time and his fathers name and occupation.  Again - this information should help us trace him on earlier censuses.

With a bit of luck - that may be all you need to buy to get a lot of the information you want
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 September 07 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again

I noticed that you mentioned that Florence had a brother James.  I suspect he was younger than Florence as the only James Bodimead on the 1901 census was born 1883 and was a soldier

Although Bodimead was a less common name than Giles, there are still 39 entries for that surname - all bar 2 in the London/Middlesex areas

I am sending you a pm which may (or may not) help
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kascon

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 September 07 06:25 BST (UK) »
ok thanks for the pm. something i just remembered is i know roughly when they died. i can sort of go on life events for me as she died at 6.00 xmas morning. i know cos it ruined xmas for us. and i know he died 6 months before that as it was mentioned in the funeral. that she just couldnt go on without him. he had alzheimers and was blind for the last 10 years or so of his life and she had always been a mother hen round him anyway. she had always looked after him. it was said that she just didnt have anything left to live for. sad. i know it was between when my son was 4 and 8 when we lived in the house at shoebury. and he is 22 now so that would be about 13/17 years ago. that would make it about 1985/1990. not sure my maths is terrible.
so if anyone has access to death records?

kas
Turner, Giles, Bodimead
all London based

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 September 07 08:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kas

.  It's so easy to go off down the wrong track if you don't have anything to back it up. 

I

as i have done !

i am looking for their deaths, can you just confirm is it Reginald or James death i am looking along with Florence?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 September 07 08:55 BST (UK) »
one of 8 Florence May Giles deaths to choose from 1984 - 2005

Dec 1991 Southend/S Florence May Giles d.o.b 19 Feb 1902