Author Topic: Annat old burial ground  (Read 15663 times)

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annat old burial ground
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 December 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Picking up on Dodomac's enquiry, I believe that he may be referring to James( Roderick/Rory/ Budg/ Yellow haired) MacGregor, who was Rob Roy’s eldest son. I have a copy of a letter from his grand-daughter saying that he escaped to Gairloch after the battle of Culloden.

He apparently married a MacKenzie widow, who I now believe was Joan Campbell (daughter of John Campbell of Wellwood, Ayrshire). She was previously married to George MacKenzie of Scatwell. See: http://www.fullbooks.com/History-Of-The-Mackenzies11.html

They had a son, William MacGregor  (ca 1735-1788) who married Helen Gillanders (b 1801 d 23/11/1864) on 18/2/1820, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis.

William was my great x 3 grandfather.

I should be very interested to hear if anyone has proof of James and Joan’s marriage or knows where they are buried.

Regards

Mike

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As an update to my last post, I now believe that James MacGregor's wife was Anne MacKenzie, the widow of Alexander MacKenzie II of Lochend.

See: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=:2608138&id=I532434707

She reputedly had a house in Gairloch.

Any evidence of this marriage or further information on the MacKenzies of Lochend would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline kevinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 February 16 08:13 GMT (UK) »
hi iv done a family tree of the mackenzies my 4th gr grandad was also murdo mackenzie born 1781.id also be interested in the book.
thanks kevin

I'll bet we must be connected somewhere. I'll keep the addresses in mind and pop you a message if I find any that might connect to you as I go along.

Thanks again so much for checking the MI book!

Kathy
[/quote]

Offline Chrismac11

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone , been chasing up my family history and I too am a descendent of Murdo MacGregor . His son murdo moved to Nairn (I believe as part of the highland railway ) I have read records where he became a station master his son William born in Croy then moved to Blair Atholl (moulinairn) and was a steam train driver . He married Jessie Stewart  . I have a bunch of middle
Names that I have been told I got from women marrying into the family . By checking the records it becomes very apparent.