Author Topic: Annat old burial ground  (Read 20767 times)

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Annat old burial ground
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 December 10 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Picking up on Dodomac's enquiry, I believe that he may be referring to James( Roderick/Rory/ Budg/ Yellow haired) MacGregor, who was Rob Roy’s eldest son. I have a copy of a letter from his grand-daughter saying that he escaped to Gairloch after the battle of Culloden.

He apparently married a MacKenzie widow, who I now believe was Joan Campbell (daughter of John Campbell of Wellwood, Ayrshire). She was previously married to George MacKenzie of Scatwell. See: http://www.fullbooks.com/History-Of-The-Mackenzies11.html

They had a son, William MacGregor  (ca 1735-1788) who married Helen Gillanders (b 1801 d 23/11/1864) on 18/2/1820, Stornoway, Isle of Lewis.

William was my great x 3 grandfather.

I should be very interested to hear if anyone has proof of James and Joan’s marriage or knows where they are buried.

Regards

Mike

Offline MJHS1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 28 December 10 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

As an update to my last post, I now believe that James MacGregor's wife was Anne MacKenzie, the widow of Alexander MacKenzie II of Lochend.

See: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=:2608138&id=I532434707

She reputedly had a house in Gairloch.

Any evidence of this marriage or further information on the MacKenzies of Lochend would be appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Offline kevinmac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 27 February 16 08:13 GMT (UK) »
hi iv done a family tree of the mackenzies my 4th gr grandad was also murdo mackenzie born 1781.id also be interested in the book.
thanks kevin

I'll bet we must be connected somewhere. I'll keep the addresses in mind and pop you a message if I find any that might connect to you as I go along.

Thanks again so much for checking the MI book!

Kathy
[/quote]

Offline Chrismac11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 07 May 19 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone , been chasing up my family history and I too am a descendent of Murdo MacGregor . His son murdo moved to Nairn (I believe as part of the highland railway ) I have read records where he became a station master his son William born in Croy then moved to Blair Atholl (moulinairn) and was a steam train driver . He married Jessie Stewart  . I have a bunch of middle
Names that I have been told I got from women marrying into the family . By checking the records it becomes very apparent.

Offline Chrismac11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 17 April 20 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone , been chasing up my family history and I too am a descendent of Murdo MacGregor . His son murdo moved to Nairn (I believe as part of the highland railway ) I have read records where he became a station master his son William born in Croy then moved to Blair Atholl (moulinairn) and was a steam train driver . He married Jessie Stewart  . I have a bunch of middle
Names that I have been told I got from women marrying into the family . By checking the records it becomes very apparent.

After checking on most of this information and getting better at researching I can now say most of this is wrong 😀 Murdoch moved from gairloch to work as a farm labourer where he met his wife /or could of moved there to marry her as she was born in Inverness . Per the census at the time he was also a fisherman going back to work in gairloch (probably kelping) also shows that he was a carpenter so I presume he was a bit of a jack of all trades . His father Alexander was offered the mill in strath but never took up the offer . His mother Christian was shown to be a squatter in a later census (guess she didn’t like paying rent😂) my ggrandfather William was born in petty/ croy and ended up becoming a engine driver/fireman and lived in shore rd Inverness until his death . The strange part was he was actually buried in Blair athol (which made me believe he died there)  but it turns out this was his wife’s hometown and she moved back there right after his death . I also got some great information from gairlochs museum if any of you descendants would like to see it ? As someone said above MacGregors are not very common in that part of Scotland - I think with a strong suspicion/the museum also mentioned this that they ended up there as refugees right after the Jacobite rebellion . The MacKenzies who owned the land refused to throw crofters off their land and also welcomed in people from other areas . At one point there was a big settlement in the area of MacGregors but in later censuses they all but disappeared due to migration to the new colonies or like my line to other parts of Scotland as subsistence living was very tough . Hope this helps anyone that’s out there trying to piece the puzzle together 😀 

Offline Torigj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 August 22 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hello I’m new here so not sure how this all works but I’m interested in this particular post that Jim704 posted awhile back…I can’t see any replies to his post or am I looking at it wrong?
Appreciate any assistance
Thank you  :)
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^

Hello, my name is James Beaton McKenzie.
I have a fascination with a memorial that is in the Annat Old cemetery
that was erected by one John Beaton McKenzie (the name of both my father and my grandfather). Photo attached.
I would like to know where I can turn to find anything about the person
who erected the memorial (parish offices, etc). It may have been my grandfather before he emigrated to Canada in 1906.
I know nothing about him prior to 1906, so family ties are not known (yet).
If anyone can point me in the right direction I will be very grateful.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 August 22 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Torigj, Welcome to RootsChat :)

On most topics on RootsChat it is normally one enquiry and then the replies, but in this case there have been multiple requests by folk. I can not see a reply to Jim's post.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Torigj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 August 22 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sarah for your reply, is the Jim704 still active?

Does anyone know where I might find more information on the memorial? When it was done and any info on the persons mention on it?
Thanks
Tori

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 02 August 22 19:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Tori,

The note under Jim's profile shows that sadly we have lost contact with him.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk