Author Topic: KILLROW - ROSCOMMON  (Read 5520 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: KILLROW - ROSCOMMON
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:36 BST (UK) »
I am sure you know that most of the Irish records were burnt in 1922.
so Irish ancestry is hard.
The problem with lack of records is more that some records did not exist. Civil registration in Ireland started 1864 (births, deaths, Catholic marriages)- from 1845 for Protestant marriages. And, compared to other places like Scotland and Australia there is sometimes little information on Irish records.
Also, some early census records were pulped once statistics were gathered from the returns.
Please do NOT ask for lookups by Personal Message.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 September 07 10:12 BST (UK) »
 Ola Snook, Bad news there is nothing like Balnagar. There is Balnagon but no help to you for it is Co, Meath.
 A census was taken for the whole Island in 1821,1831,1841,1851,1861,1871,1881,1891,1901,1911.
The first four were largely destroyed by fire at the public record office in 1922.by order of the goverment.
 Those for 1861,1871,1881,and 1891,were completely destroyed prior to 1922.
   I know very little regarding the Navy. maybe a long shot,but then one never knows.  If you put a post on for William Patrick who went into the navy.someone with some knowledge may be able to help.Sorry I have not been more help. Regards. Lep :)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 September 07 10:29 BST (UK) »
This is likely to be Ballygar on the Galway/Roscommon border.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 September 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
 Ballygar is Galway Map name KIllian and Killeroran. Ballyforan is Galway Roscommon, Map name Dysart.
                          Lep

Offline annieoburns

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 September 07 17:18 BST (UK) »
A look at townlands for Roscommon suggests maybe your place might be Ballinagard.  The 'Bal-' is a very common prefix and would derive from Irish word for town being "baile".  I have some neighbours called Kilroes and are from Roscommon and might get a chance to ask if place is local/familiar to them.  There is a good website for Roscommon/Leitrim with 1901 census info on it.

Anne
Wiffen, Utton, Clark, Spires,  Frisby, Raybould, Charlton, Green, (England)
Flood,  Daly, Doran, Mc Kercher, Gardiner, (Ireland/England)
Reid, Burns  (Ireland)
McGourty, Daly (Ireland/America)

Offline sook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 September 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone who has replied to me today, brilliant, what a friendly site, i really appreciate all the help i can get with this, thanks a lot........Sook
KILLROW......roscommon, Ireland                       DANIELS.....Greenw ich, London     VIPAS/PHYPERS            ...Hertfordshire

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 September 07 19:15 BST (UK) »
 Ola Snook. ;) Cheer's :)