Author Topic: Jean Gerrat/Thomas Davidson  (Read 5780 times)

Offline kwr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Jean Gerrat/Thomas Davidson
« on: Thursday 20 September 07 17:32 BST (UK) »
She is born around 1810 in Kelton if the 1841-81 censuses are to be believed. I know her father was John Gerrat, born in Ireland, and her mother Elizabeth (nee Smith). However Scotlandspeople OPR shows no results for her birth.

He was born in Ireland. If they marry it has to be about 1837. But once again I have no result from Scotlandspeople.

She is still alive in 1885 because she is the informant when one of her sisters dies in Kelton.
Her husband Thomas dies in Kirkcudbright Workhouse in 1888 and he is described as a widower. Yet again I cannot find a death certificate for her.

Her father and mother are alive in 1841 but not traceable by 1851 so are probably dead but guess what? - no traces of their marriage in Kelton nor of deaths.

Do I give up?

Ken

Cuthbert, Roberts (Sefton. Bootle, Liverpool, St. Pancras), Burbage, Dodd.
Allison (Scotland, pre 1861) (Liverpool post 1860),
Gerrat, Davidson, Caffey, McCourt, McDill, Ireland +Scotland. Ballard, Mayman,
 Pletts, Shield, Pattison, Patteson, Johnston(Cumberland).
Thorp(e), Jacobson, Bond, Parry, Gaskill (Liverpool, Denmark), Moar, Hanaeus,Ilett
Simmons, Pritchard, Cherrington (Shropshire)

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jean Gerrat/Thomas Davidson
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
Giving up is not an option!!!

Is your Thomas the one in the 1851 census with children William, Mary, Jane, Grace and Agnes.  If it is have you followed their family to see if that leads you anywhere.  They might have a death notice which might give you an extra bit of info.

Also in 1871, if I have the right family there is a Dalziel and Shaw living with them.  They are down as grandchildren.

You have probably done all this and really looking to get further back but sometimes you can be lucky. 

Do you know if there was a death notice for her sister to see if there is any mention where she is burried.  I will have a look to see if I can find where she is buried if you give me her name.

Betty

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 07 15:21 BST (UK) »
This thread is related:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,238001.0.html

I've had a good look for Jean's bpt. but there is nothing. Given her Irish origins, they could have been RC, in which case there is unlikely to be a baptism on the SP site. I'm not sure whether there are RC records for Kelton  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 October 07 15:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget for pointing out the other thread.

I usually just try and help where there has been no answer.  I didn't think that it might be somewhere else.

Cheers

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 October 07 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Betty  :)

I'm like you - I don't usually look but I remembered the surnames and all the looking  :-\

I've tried all sorts of variations to try to find a death for her but nothing  :( If her husband died in the workhouse, then she may have as well. Maybe with the wrong name  :(

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline specialkg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 07 15:48 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look in the old newspapers this morning but did not find anything.  Will keep the name in mind.

Betty

Offline kwr

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for trying to help - Gadget has already done so with an earlier post of mine as you can see.

I think you may be right Gadget re. the death of Jean (Gerrat) Davidson. He died in Kelton Workhouse so she probably preceded him but there seems not to be a record though there is for him. I did find two other Jane Davidsons dying in 1891 and 1900 but neither were the correct one.

I did have the Dalziels and Shaws thank you and am OK for the censuses.

The death of Mary Gerrat I got from Scotlandspeople . It was 1875 and of course it was the workhouse.

I'll look at a few other deaths for the family perhaps and see how I get on. As you can probably guess I don't really know what to do next which is why my post WAS  rather frustrated. Perhaps I'll be more measured next time.
Meantime, thanks again for trying

Ken
Cuthbert, Roberts (Sefton. Bootle, Liverpool, St. Pancras), Burbage, Dodd.
Allison (Scotland, pre 1861) (Liverpool post 1860),
Gerrat, Davidson, Caffey, McCourt, McDill, Ireland +Scotland. Ballard, Mayman,
 Pletts, Shield, Pattison, Patteson, Johnston(Cumberland).
Thorp(e), Jacobson, Bond, Parry, Gaskill (Liverpool, Denmark), Moar, Hanaeus,Ilett
Simmons, Pritchard, Cherrington (Shropshire)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 17:44 BST (UK) »
Ken

Don't worry about these lines and questions - we all have some similar problems so we understand  :-\

Keep poking around and asking - you never know, something might come up  :)

Gadget

Offline Waterfall2007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
I just happened to come across your posting looking for information in regard to Jean Gerrat and believe we may be of the same family ancestry. 

My ggg was Robert Garrett born 1822 Kelton. His parents were John Gerrat b. 1776 Kelton or Ireland and Elizabeth Smith b. 1775 or 1781 at Kelton (as per my information). 

Robert Garrett's siblings (ggg) were James b. January 1, 1799, William born April 13, 1801, John born 1811 (agricultural labourer), Mary born 1813 (labourer and outdoor worker) Elizabeth born February 15, 1818 and Robert born 1822.  They were all born at Kelton.  However, there does seem to be large gaps in the ages of the siblings. 

I have a copy of the birth certificate for my ggg Robert Garrett and where orginally his name was recorded as Gerrat there were lines put threw it and then recorded as Garrett.  Thus, the family name has remained as Garrett in my family. 

I am interested in the Dalziel connection to this family as my gg had the middle name of Dalziel and also one of her siblings and I have been trying to make the family connection. 

I would really appreciate it if you would make contact with me so that we can share information.  Looking forward to hearing from you.