Author Topic: Very old Bradford A to Z needed  (Read 8226 times)

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Very old Bradford A to Z needed
« on: Sunday 19 December 04 21:34 GMT (UK) »
 :D Has anybody got a very old streetmap or a very long memory ? I would like to know where Coleridge Place (and Chaucer Place and Cowper Place) was in Bradford and also where Sun Place was in Baildon.
Hope you can help,
regards,
Barry Emmott
Emmott - Yorkshire, Hampshire and London
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline JJdownunder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Very old Bradford A to Z needed
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry
You could try this site

www.old-maps.co.uk

JJdownunder
All census information is crown copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lawson,Houlden,Robinson,Cooper,Farrar,Hunter,Wilson, (in yeadon rawdon guiseley) Lofthouse,Gill, (in burley in wharfedale,langcliffe,hampsthwaite) Gray (in aberford) Wetherill (in Harewood) Elliott,Hudson(in gislingham suffolk) Worm(e),Holmes (in hainford norfolk)

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 12:42 GMT (UK) »
 :-[ I remembered I had an Alan Godfrey OS map of Bradford in 1906 and found these streets, with help from friends on ENG-YKS-BRADFORD-L Rootsweb, in an area which was apparently called Poets Corner but on the map is Hillside Villas. It is just south of Undercliffe Cemetary, off Butler Street which is off Barkerend Road. Butler Street is still there, sort of, being bisected by the new Otley Road into Butler Street East and West but the estate has been demolished around 1964 and replaced with a school and a college.
Thanks,
Barry
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barry
Cant find a streetmap with them on,but found this extract from the This is Bradford web site.

Bradford had  its poets’ corner, too, though Chaucer Street, Cowper Street and Southey Street are now gone from Otley Road. Further up the hill, though, and protected from demolition by distance, Byron and Browning Roads still stand.

Try this link as well, if you can manage to enlarge the image I think it gives Cowper Street

http://www.yourmapsonline.org.uk/maps_for_web/yorkshire/Bradford_street_index_1884.jpg

Hope this helps

Nicky

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 23:22 GMT (UK) »
We found everything but the Baildon address. Does anybody out there have a streetmap of Baildon from the 1950s or 1960s ?
Regards,
Barry Emmott
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 September 05 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I cannot find Sun Place however the Sun Inn / hotel is in the center of Baildon, top of Baildon Road near the round-a-bout.
Hope this helps
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 September 05 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I cannot find Sun Place however the Sun Inn / hotel is in the center of Baildon, top of Baildon Road near the round-a-bout.
Hope this helps
Dave
I went back there a few weeks ago and I think I recognised the houses I was looking for at the town end of Green Road. However, it must have more than 50 years since I was there last and everything now looks a lot smaller !! I don't even know that Sun Place was the correct address but that was the only one where I could find any record of the people I was trying to trace (called Oddy).
Regards,
Barry
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes

Offline sthca

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 11 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I guess that you have a map of the area by now. Some of my family (Whitley) lived at 21 Coleridge Place. Please let me know if your family lived in the same area.
Ward Whitley Beresford Salter

Offline Barry Emmott

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 11 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I guess that you have a map of the area by now. Some of my family (Whitley) lived at 21 Coleridge Place. Please let me know if your family lived in the same area.
My own ancestors lived at 9 Coleridge Place in the 1881 census and then they appear in Webster Street, Barkerend Road and Curzon Road, all close to Poets Corner, before scattering.
Barry
Alford - London
Muirhead
Longes