Author Topic: Elizabeth & Henry Sutherland circa 1800  (Read 5198 times)

Offline rsutherland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth & Henry Sutherland circa 1800
« on: Saturday 22 September 07 19:13 BST (UK) »
Through DNA testing I have established that my grandfather ran away from home and changed his surname from Sutherland to Lyle. I am hoping to find out more about the Elizabeth & Henry Sutherland noted below. So far I have several candidates for their  places of birth and parents. Here is a synopsis of my Scottish roots:

-GGGgrandfather David Sutherland b 1805 in Edinburgh to Elizabeth Sutherland and Henry Sutherland. David married Jane Menzies in 1825 in Edinburgh & their family emigrated to the U.S. in 1841.
 - GGGGgrandfather Henry Sutherland of Thurso married Elizabeth Sutherland of Bower/Stempster in 1791. He may have previously married a Margaret/Peggy Brock in 1787 in Thurso. Elizabeth & Henry's children were Margaret b 1792 in Thurso, William b 1794 in Thurso, Henry b 1796 in Edinburgh(?), James b 1801 in Edinburgh, John b 1803 in Edinburgh, and my David.

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth & Henry Sutherland circa 1800
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 February 08 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Do you know anything more of Elizabeth from Stemster? 
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline rsutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 February 08 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Banns for her marriage to Henry Sutherland for March 30, 1791 state :Sutherland, Henry ferryman to Eliza Sutherland in Bowen (Bower?), witnesses were James Sutherland and David McKenzie. Marriage on April 22, 1791 says Henry Sutherland of Thurso & Elizabeth Sutherland in Stempster. Another marriage record appears to list a Donald Sutherland as witness. She & her family moved to Edinburgh between 1795 & 1801  due to a bridge being built over the Thurso River which would eliminate Henry's job as cobbleman/ferryman.

She was probably the Elizabeth buried Jan 22, 1826 in Grayfriars.

I also have specific children's birth dates & miscellaneous other tidbits. What is your specific interest and/or connection?

Offline Hanan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 February 08 19:55 GMT (UK) »
I have Sutherland's from Stemster in my family tree.  I don't have an Elizabeth but Stemster is a tiny place.  My tree has a Donald who lived in Stemster at the time so I'm wondering if perhaps Elizabeth is his sister.

Do you have her parents names at all?
CURRIE & KERR Scotland, Bute, Isle of Arran
ROSS or MUNRO Scotland, Inverness
SUTHERLAND & BUDGE, HAMILTON or GORDON Caithness, Halkirk Area 1700 & 1800's; Lanark 1900’s
MCGRATH or MCGRAW, MCINTYRE, MCWHINNEY, FERGUSON, CAMPBELL, FLANAGAN, WAUGH & THOMSON Ireland
MCGRATH or MCGRAW Wigtown early 1800’s; USA, Taft (CA), Jarbridge (NV) early 1900's
WYLLIE & HIGGINS Scotland, Lanarkshire & Ayrshire

Offline rsutherland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 February 08 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there are a number of candidates based upon the many Elizabeth's born around this time. That's why I was hoping to find someone to pin down which was the right one. The Edinburgh death record would indicate  a birth around 1761, but the age is a little suspect since her last child would have been born when she was 44. (I didn't mention it before but there is a second witness on the marriage record, but very hard to read. It probably says Donald & James Sutherland. The James is likely since he was a witness on the Banns.) SOME of the candidate Elizabeth's born in the area are:
- Elizabeth to James Sutherland in Mar 1763 in Latheron
-  Elizabeth to James Sutherland & Margaret Morgan in Watten in Nov 1763 (James was also one of my Elizabeth's children's names, & Margaret was her only girl's name.
- Elizabeth to Donald Sutherland &  Elizabeth Brodie in May 1765 in Bower
- Elizabeth to Donald Sutherland & Elizabeth Richard in March 1768 in Wick.
- Elizabeth to Donald Sutherland & Isobel Douglas in Feb 1770 in Wick
Of course, the James & Donald names could be brother or other relatives of the parents. There are also Elizabeths born & listed with probably relative's names instead of father: Donald Cormack (1760) & Donald McLeod (1763). I have tracked some of these candidates a bit & some look a bit more likely than others.
What are the names etc that you have from this timeframe? Would you like to message directly?