Author Topic: Fag-ash Lil'  (Read 10611 times)

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
Fag-ash Lil'
« on: Saturday 22 September 07 21:25 BST (UK) »
We've all got them - those "characters" in our family histories. They usually get mentioned in anecdotes at family gatherings, around the time when the conversation get to "...do you remember when..."

I was just thinking about my Grandmother (Nana) and how we used to call her Fag-ash Lil' (but not to her face!  :o) She started on Wild Woodbines, apparently, then onto Players Navy Cut (60-a-day). Her eyesight wasn't good in later life and I remember her setting her hair alight when she was trying to light a cigarette one day but, by accident, she'd adjusted the flame on the cigarette lighter to flame-thrower proportions!  :o

She had a hard life (just how hard I only realised when I started to investigate our family history a few years ago) - widdowed in 1936 aged 43 with three young children, she'd had a rude awakening to being the sole breadwinner!

Life became a series of make-do-and-mend frugality - when I was a child, we lived with her in a large house she'd managed to buy (with a hefty mortgage) as an investment, and at the time I thought we managed very well.

Looking back I now realise how badly off we were - sheets were turned sides to middle so many times that doubles soon became singles and you used to wake up with ridges on your skin from lying on all the seams; we made rag-rugs out of expediency and I remember her snatching items out of the rag bag because she felt they still had a bit of mileage and were too good for "rugging"!

Tea brewed ("massed") in a metal teapot was "recycled" in the pot on the hob, and cardigans were regularly unpicked and re-knitted.

Her stockings were darned so much there was more "darn" than stocking - and she went around in the same old  cross-over "pinny" for ages.

And she'd sit in "pole-position" for the telly and fall asleep - well, some of the time she said she was just "resting her eyes", but she would frequently shout during Match of the day, if the ref a missed a "dirty" tackle!

She hit the roof when my uncle brought a puppy home - "it can stop tonight but it goes tomorrow....!" - she ended up feeding it and paying the vet's bills and even made it it's own rag rug to sleep on. But if she got annoyed with it she'd roll up a newspaper and take a swing! (the dog soon learned the safest place to hide was under her chair!) - for all this Nana and the dog were actually besotted with each other!

Thankyou for letting me relive a bit of my family history - and here's a pic of Fag-ash Lil', (minus the obligatory cigaerette),  with the dog!

Any of you got "characters" you'd like to share?
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Fag-ash Lil'
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
Stoney ... I think that's a wonderful story !

I certainly remember sides to middled sheets, and then doubles becoming singles ... and then they were made into pillow cases ... I've still got a couple of sides to middled flannelette sheets ... lovely and snug for the depths of winter, except that the middles are getting a bit thin, and the patches on the corners are fraying ...

Did she use saucepans (aluminium ... no poisoning in those days !) ... with holes mended with round rings with a cork washer and a bolt through ? 

And the jumpers unpicked and reknitted into waistcoats ... with a mixture of colours from several older waistcoats unpicked for the third time ...

Those were the days !  And we aren't even talking about the 1850's here ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
I don't know Stoney! her left hand is cupped as though she's holding a fag,Ive done it myself...
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:30 BST (UK) »
I don't know Stoney! her left hand is cupped as though she's holding a fag,Ive done it myself...

You could be right.......! Somewhere I have a marvellous one of her hanging out the washing with a ciggie in the corner of her mouth - wish I could find it!

She certainly was a character - with a wicked sense of humour!
Beattie, Beveridge, Carson, Davidson, Hounam, Johnston,  Purdon, Rae, Stevenson, - Scotland.  Brown, Bulman, Cooke, Harding, Meyers, Osborne, Routledge - England

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:44 BST (UK) »
Love that story and the photo - reminds me of my own nana - big hugs, pinnies, sensible shoes, grey hair, gardens with walls and proper trees. I wonder what they would have thought of 10 Years Younger!

Ruby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland

Offline rubyrose

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mum - thanks to RC Restorers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:50 BST (UK) »
Here is a photo of my nana, not a very good one, but one of the few I have. Its taken on the beach with my grandad, fully booted and suited and fast asleep.

Ruby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER - Lancashire, Cheshire, BUCHANAN - Glasgow, Lancashire, LAWRENCE - Jamaica, Lancashire, JONES - Shropshire, Lancashire, SHAWCROSS - Lancashire, India,  MONTAGU - Lancashire, America, MORRISON - Fife, Lancashire, SEDDON DUTTON HESKETH  - Lancashire, WHITEHEAD - Yorkshire, WIDDOWS - Ireland

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:56 BST (UK) »
Rubyrose - Grandad looks a wee bit uncomfortable - bet he had a sore neck when he woke up!  Thanks for sharing! 

(which beach, out of interest ?)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:58 BST (UK) »
I've got one similar ... probably everyone has ! 
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stoney

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Mum, bless her!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 September 07 23:00 BST (UK) »
Lydart - your folks look very genteel! And I notice the cigar!