Author Topic: James Gregory Doolittle  (Read 46726 times)

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Gregory Doolittle
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 December 09 15:59 GMT (UK) »
forgot to mention they were married on 18 Sep 1905

JMF
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline daraoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 December 09 17:17 GMT (UK) »
Until I dig through some papers I think the following is related

Thomas MaGahan married Annette Wall.  So perhaps two of the brothers married sisters (?).
One of the children of Thoimas and Annette was a Hugh McGahan also - probably given the name out of respect for his grandfather.  Hugh went off to Rhodesia around the thirties and never came back.  My mother was Sheila McGahan OhUiginn.   There were some eight children I believe and I have some records of them.
My Grandfather Thomas was also a carpenter according to stories of my mother so I assume he learned the trade from his father before him.

Thomas and Anette lived in Briton Gardens, Dublin for many years.   Thomas died around 1958 or so as I have a memory of visiting him on his deathbed.    A funny story there as he asked my mother to recite Sheakespeares Soliquey and when she could not he berated her as not knowing anything at all.    He is buried in one of two small cemeteries near Wicklow.   I tried to find his grave a few years ago without luck due to nettles and such.

The reason for the cross out may have been due to some bad wrods spoken in the family.  My mother referred to such long long ago but the details I do not know.

More when I can but I am very grateful to you for all this knowledge .  It has kindled a renewed interest.  I have been to Wicklow various times over the last few years and wandered around.  Perhaps I will see if I can reconnect with someone there next spring.
I live in Canada now byut get there often.  Yourself?

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 16:27 GMT (UK) »
The Wall's of Wicklow were quite a large seafaring family and believe it or not there are only 2 male descendants of these families by the name of Wall living in Wicklow Town, neither are married, so the name Wall in Wicklow Town will be gone with them. There are other Wall descendants but not called Wall. One of these gentlemen has been researching the family for a number of years now.

Annetta Wall, married Thomas McGahan, on 18 Sep 1905, son of Hugh McGann & Maria ?
Her parents were Christopher Wall of Market Square Wicklow & Lizzie (Elizabeth) Dixon (1866-1919)
State Records = Marriage of Christopher Wall, Market Sq., Wicklow, son of William Wall (Decd) Sailor
To Elizabeth Ellen Dixon, Milliner of Summerhill, dau of Thomas Dixon (Alive) occupation = Baker
They were married in St. Patrick's R.C. Church  6 Aug 1882. They had 3 sons, & 3 daughters.
Christopher died 5 May 1917. Lost at sea with son William (1888 - 5th June 1917)
 1911  Corporation Lands (pt of) Civil Parish of Kilpoole, Wicklow Urban. 65/11
        (This is on or near the Golf Course) Only 2 properties on 65/11
b1= Private Dwelling 4 windows in front of 2nd class house. 9 rooms occupied by 4 persons.
Head of family is Christopher, not at home on this night. Landholder = Sylvester Delahunt.
No out offices. All 4 were Roman Catholic, all could read & write and all born Wicklow.
1 Elizabeth Ellen Wall (Nee Dixon) head of household, age 48 yrs [bc 1863]
          married 28 yrs [mc 1883] 5 children born 5 alive.
2 Christina Wall, daughter age 17 yrs [bc 1894] single
3 Thomas Wall, son age 12 yrs [bc 1899]
4 Sarah Ann Wall, Sister age 45 yrs [bc 1866] single born Wicklow.
Christopher had a sister Sarah Ann, on census 1911= b1 Corportion Lands, 65/11 (with sister-in- law Elizabeth) age 45 single. Don't know anything more of her. Their father was William Wall
~~~~~~~~----------------------------------
Norah's parents were:
John Wall, Irishtown, (1824-1827) & Catherine Doolittle, Wicklow (c 1827-1880) who married 8 Nov 1852 St Patrick's R C Church, Wicklow Ireland. Their witnesses were John Neill & Ellen Kingston. They had 4 sons, & 7 daughters.  John's parents were Richard Wall & Rose Lamb (bc 1800)

Dont's froget about variants of the names McGann; Gahan, etc. Would love to bring your family up to date, if you are willing to pass on the information. You can send me a E-mail with the permission of the Moderator.

Julia
Murray of Arklow.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dara,

With tanks to you, mentioning the Dublin connection, I was able to look up McGahan in the 1911 census and found the following. Hope it helps
Census 1911: b 50 in Raymond St. (Merchants Quay Ward  (part of), Dublin) 72/53  file 3. Civil Parish of St. Catherine
2 windows in front of 2nd class house, 5 rooms occupied by 7 persons (2 were boarders)
All 5 Roman Catholic, Parents could read & write.
McGahan Thomas Francis, head of household age 36 [bc 1875]  house carpenter, born Co Wicklow had both Irish & English.
McGahan Annette, wife age 26 [bc 18485] married 5 yrs [mc 1906] 3 children born 3 alive, born Dublin City
McGahan Ita, daughter age 4 born  Dublin City
McGahan Maire, daughter age 2 born  Dublin City
McGahan Hugh son age 9 months, [bc June] 1910. born  Dublin City

By the way I am living in Wicklow Town, so the interest in all Wicklow Town people, past & present. My husband says I know more people under the ground that over the ground. Perhaps we can meet up in the Spring p.g. when you visit Wicklow.

Julia
Murray of Arklow.

Offline daraoh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you ever so much Julia.  So many details and surprises coming "out of the ground" so to speak.
Thomas McGahan and Anette Wall McGahan had the following as best I can note.
Sheila (my mother) - Aug 3o, 1916 - d.June 21st 2006 and well remembered for our time together with lashings of tea and chat.
Fionnula - my mother's sister - d.approx 2005  she was a teacher, married XXXX -- I am still in touch with her children those cousins.
Sister Mary Kevin - don't know here original name at the moment but I am sure I have it somewhere.  She was a teacher in the convent in Clondalkin for many years and died probably in the 1980's.
Another Sister - we used to call her "Poor Prayers" was shipped off to Africa but eventually came back and I saw here one in the convent in Dundalk where she died in 2007 I think.
Eithne - my other Aunt married a XXXX.   I am close with XXXX who is my first cousin and a great pal now.   He was dating XXXX who lives up in Wicklow town and delightful woman but that ended last year.  I hope to get back in touch with her next time over as I stayed for a few nights in her house before.
I will send email through the moderator as I gather that is the right way.
Slan,

Dara

Moderator's Note: Edited to remove details of possible living people in accordance with RootsChat policy of not publishing details of people who may still be living. This is to protect all concerned from spam, identity abuse, internet abuse, etc, etc.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 16 December 09 19:30 GMT (UK) »
...I will send email through the moderator as I gather that is the right way.
Slan,

Dara

now that you have 3 posts you can use the Private message system - click on the little green scroll ( or ) under the person you want to send the message to...

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline etep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 04 September 10 04:16 BST (UK) »
Somewhere in the text there was a reference to another WALL family, noting that the subject family is from Wicklow as in Wicklow Town (as opposed to the county) could it be that the Dunlavin WALL family is the other one?

Type 'Edward Wall 1901' in your address bar and it will come up with 1901 census portraying Edward and Kate Wall as owning a Dunlavin, Wicklow home and living with two of their still unmarried sons ~ as to whether or not there's a family link I would not know.

FYI Edward and Kate Wall were my great grandparents

Pete Wall USA.

Offline DByrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 06 May 12 15:49 BST (UK) »
Julia, I started researching the Wall family of Wicklow some time ago as I was a seafarer and always had a strong affinity with ships and the sea - the explanation in the family was that there were seafarers on my father's side coming from Wicklow. My great grandmother was Elizabeth Wall and she married James Byrne in Wicklow (ST Pats, I guess) in 1837. Her sister, I think, Jane, was bridesmaid. I thought I had it all sorted out with George Wall (married to Mary jane Mullen) being her brother: wrong! It ws then that I fell off a cliff edge with so many Walls that I am now dizzy.

Can you throw any light on 'my' Elizabeth Wall?

Thanks a million,

David

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 06 May 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Sorry do not have this information. Can you give me a little more help, Parents or children. Would love to be able to help more as I have a lot of information on Wall families. I know George & Tom Wall well. They are the last of the Walls in Wicklow and as neither of them married, they will be the last of the Wall name in the town unfortunately.

Julia
Murray of Arklow.