Author Topic: James Gregory Doolittle  (Read 46879 times)

Offline etep

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Gregory Doolittle
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 May 12 19:20 BST (UK) »
Re:  "My Elizabeth Wall"

Probably not yours but we have one in County Wicklow = Elizabeth Wall B. Dunlavin 1862 and married Michael Gaul @ Saint Josephs in nearby Baltinglass on July 02 1884.

Elizabeth 'Wall' Gaul in 1923 was buried in Liverpool's Ford Cemetery.

pete wall

PS. There's a recently re-released book that might help, originally published by Dublin's Leinster Press,
Title: The Wall Family in Ireland from 1170 to 1970, Author Hubert Galway ~ I do not known name of the latest publisher but they are in Ireland.

Offline DByrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 May 12 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your very quick responses. I have the following:
Elizabeth Wall was baptised in Avoca 25th February 1837. Her father was Christopher Wall and her mother is given as Bess Wall. Elizabeth married James Byrne in Wicklow 25th July 1856, as far as I can tell.

In the 1901 English census she and James are living in Widnes (she and james went over there as part of the migration of Irish workers to the chemical works there in the 1860s/1870s). They had three children, one of whom was my grandfather, also James. At the time of the census they had a visitor, Patrick Wall, a seafarer, given as Elizabeth's nephew. At the same time in Widnes George Wall (married to Mary Jane Mullen) was there as Master of a ship called the ROCKINGHAM, together with three crew. I previously guessed that Patrick was anjoying a spot of shore leave on the day of the census from his father's ship and hence George was Elizabeth's brother - not quite right it now seems!

I can see that I am going to have to come and visit Wicklow!

Kind regards,

David

Offline DByrne

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 10 May 12 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia,

Does your silence mean that I have reached the end of the line with this one?

Regardless of that, thanks for your generosity in sharing what you have on the Wall family of Wicklow.

Kind regards,

David

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 13 May 12 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi David,

Never say never - My computer and internet have been down for about 2 weeks now, but up and running again. I have been working on the family, but have not made the connection YET. Will be in touch soon. Sorry for the long delay.

Julia
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline petexxx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 07 October 16 19:22 BST (UK) »
Our Wall family has its roots in County Wicklow, namely: Dunlavin, Baltinglass, Blessington and more recently Dublin suburbs and Arklow. The Wall family website is wallclan on tribalpages.com.

Edward and Sarah Wall gave birth to their 1st child James Wall on May 28 1861 and his baptism was (2) days later on May 30 1861 @ Saint Nicholas Church in Dunlavin.

pete wall   

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 October 16 20:46 BST (UK) »
you will find George Wall father and son ? and a Patrick Wall here
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/search/cl/index.jsp

strangely enough the ''Rockingham'' was also enumerated in Wicklow with 3 men same date as English census though the original census return seems to be missing
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001320340/

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Wicklow_Town/Corporation_Murragh/1817816/

George appears to have died 1910 age 54 ? informant daughter Lylie (Lilly ? )
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05429/4517987.pdf
possible 1901 for his family
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Kilmore/Ballyteige/1806910/

edited to add
the above census is probably the family of Alfred Benny Wall chief officer on a Lightship
daughter Norah 1892
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02327/1871410.pdf

1901  http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wexford/Kilmore/The_Coninbeg_Light_Ship/1806912/

Offline capon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 07 February 19 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello all Doolittle researchers,

There is another Doolittle child of George Doolittle and Catherine (Connor) Doolittle - Honoria Doolittle. I have been unable to find her birth, but it should be in the late 1820s/early 1830s. Honoria married William Darragh (abt 1828-1920) of Wicklow in the 1860's. William is my 2x great-granduncle (brother of my 2x great-grandfather Thomas Darragh). William was a seafarer, captain, master mariner, and later was the owner of several vessels and a shipyard on the Wicklow waterfront (one ship I can think of offhand is "Ocean Maid"). It is possible that Honoria Doolittle's seafaring family sailed on William Darragh's vessels. In reading through these past posts on the Doolittle family, I noted William as a godparent to a child of one of Honoria's siblings.

William and Honoria lived in Summerhill, Wicklow, and had four children, none of whom survived to marry. Children:

William (Willie) 1865-1883 Lost at sea on one of his father's ships. COD: Drowning. Local lore said that William could not swim, and when a "great wind arose, his father tied him to the mast so that he could not be swept off the ship". But when the ship capsized, he was drowned. Sponsors at his baptism were James Riely and Rosanna Wall.

Catherine (Katie) 1867-1888 Baptism sponsors were ? and Maria Doolittle.

Honoria (1869-1871) Baptism sponsors were James Conway and Eliza Neil.

John Arthur (1871-1872) Baptism sponsors were John Flynn and Catherine Morgan.

Honoria Doolittle Darragh died Nov 11, 1911 (age 79, married, wife of sea captain, cardiac disease, grand-niece Katie Kavanaugh present at death).

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 07 February 19 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Have you Links to all the records you cite?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline capon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 07 February 19 22:02 GMT (UK) »
All of the births are in the NLI RC parish records available on-line.
William, Jul 10 1865
Catherine Jun 1867
Honoria Feb 24 1869
John Arthur Apr 7 1871

I believe all the births are repeated in Irish civil records, and the deaths might be as well. Also, in Findmypast, there's reference to a monument William Darragh erected to his deceased wife and children. William the son appears in several "Lost at sea" databases.