Author Topic: James Gregory Doolittle  (Read 46870 times)

Offline capon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Gregory Doolittle
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 07 February 19 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Those births are all RC church, Wicklow.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 07 February 19 22:06 GMT (UK) »

I believe all the births are repeated in Irish civil records, and the deaths might be as well. Also, in Findmypast, there's reference to a monument William Darragh erected to his deceased wife and children. William the son appears in several "Lost at sea" databases.

They most probably are!

Names of informants might be interesting.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 08 February 19 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, capon   :)

Name   WILLIAM DARRAGH
Date of Event   1864
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Dublin South
Returns Year   1864
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   12
Returns Page No   617

Name   HONORA DOLITTLE
Date of Event   1864
Group Registration ID   N/R
SR District/Reg Area   Dublin South
Returns Year   1864
Returns Quarter   1
Returns Volume No   12
Returns Page No   617

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline capon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 08 February 19 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the  marriage year. I'm sure I had seen it in civil records, but for some reason didn't enter it in my genealogy database (and so assumed it wasn't available). Honoria Doolittle is ancillary to my tree, and her family had no direct descendants, but I was intrigued by the story of the death of hers and William Darragh's son. And because on my father's side, I encountered a similar story - my 2x ggf's 17 yo son sailed with him out of St. John's NFLD, and also died at sea, albeit of a diphtheria outbreak aboard ship. It's also interesting that some of William Darragh's nephews (my great-granduncles) were occasionally part of his crews.

I visited Wicklow town in summer 2017 and was able to see the site of the shipyard, and also the street where most of the Darraghs lived.

capo'n

Offline williamsglm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mary Doolittle
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 03 May 20 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Doolittle's i am a descendant of George Doolittle b1783 and Catherine Connor b1780 through their son John Doolittle b1822 who married Ellen Cooney b1823 through their daughter Catherine Doolittle b1845 who married Charles Hawes b1845.

My question to anyone with information is about Edward Doolittle b1812 & Mary Ryan's daughter Mary or Maria Doolittle b1837.  I am trying to work out whom she married. 

I have 2 possibilities.
There is a Mary Doolittle & John Wall who had a daughter Mary Wall 22nd March 1865 in Ashford Wicklow OR
Maria Doolittle who married Hugh McGahan 22nd April 1873.  This lists here father as Edward.

I cannot find a marriage for Mary & John Wall - Could it be 2 different Mary's, or she married twice.

Hope someone can help.  Cheers

Linda Qld Australia

Offline JohnMB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 20 June 22 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I am seeking the birth certificate for my 2nd great grandfather, James Gregory Doolittle. He was born in July of 1855 in Wicklow, Ireland. James was the son of Thomas Doolittle (Harbor Commisioner and Coal Merchant in Main, St. Wicklow) and Mary Anna Gregory. He had a brother named Thomas Arthur. Both James and Thomas were mariners and moved to Liverpool, England to work there.

James immigrated to the US in 1893, naturalized and died in Salt Lake City in 1924. I don't know if Thomas followed his brother or stayed in Liverpool.

Any information, stories, documents and/or pictures of anyone is this family or local would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much,
Kristin

These men had a sister, Anne Mary Doolittle who married Patrick Dunn[e] (d.1904) in St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland in 1888. They seem to have had at least 4 children.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 10:31 BST (UK) »
These men had a sister, Anne Mary Doolittle who married Patrick Dunn[e] (d.1904) in St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland in 1888. They seem to have had at least 4 children.

Link-
Anna M Doolittle married Patrick Dunn.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1888/10785/5932990.pdf

First child, daughter Bridget Mary born 1889 at Swords.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1889/02464/1915223.pdf

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 13:24 BST (UK) »

....Anne Mary Doolittle who married Patrick Dunn[e] (d.1904) in St. Mary's Pro-Cathedral, Dublin, Ireland in 1888. They seem to have had at least 4 children.

Dunne - 1901 census
House 7 in North Street (Swords, Dublin).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Swords/North_Street/1267219/

Dunne - Doolittle

Catherine Mary born 1892
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02358/1881210.pdf

Martha Mary Louisa also born 1892
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1892/02326/1870987.pdf

Thomas Patrick Joseph born 1894
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1894/02239/1843556.pdf

Patrick George Joseph born 1895
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02194/1829788.pdf

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 21 June 22 13:45 BST (UK) »

Anna Mary Dunne (nee Doolittle) in 1911 census, a widow.....looks like six children born. Bridget Mary now there, with her two younger sisters and younger brother.
House 45 in North Street (Swords East, Dublin).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Swords_East/North_Street/4977/