Author Topic: Charles Gale 1853 Auckland  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Rhodie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Charles Gale 1853 Auckland
« on: Monday 24 September 07 12:37 BST (UK) »
looking for ino on Charles Gale of 58th Foot who was discharged in 1853 at Auckland.  He was born Dorset.

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Gale 1853 Auckland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 September 07 00:54 BST (UK) »
Do you have any info
there are some burials at symonds st via Auckland library site
http://www.aucklandlibrary.co.nz/findyoursubject/digitallibrary/historyandgenealogydigitallibrary.htm
Would either fit the age you are after?
 ???
Cemetery Records - Symonds Street and St Stephens

Your search found 2 records
 [1 of 2] 
Abstract The Anglican St Paul's register has Charles Gale buried 12 May 1870, aged 50 years from the Colonial Hospital. Service by Rev Dudley - reference 104/56 
Subjects Gale, Charles, d.1870 
Symonds Street Cemetery

~~~~~~~~
 [2 of 2] 
Abstract The Anglican St Paul's register has James Gale aged 32 years who died 29 February 1860 in the Colonial Hospital and was buried 1 March 1860. 
Subjects Gale, James, d.1860 

Offline Rhodie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 07 13:13 BST (UK) »
he was baptised 1817 Morden. Dorset, cannot find him in any census over here, nor deaths.  One by the same name was a Private with 58th Foot, joined 1839 discharged 1853, on ships Pestonjee Bomanjee and HMS NBorth Star Velocity.  Wonder if he stayed out there?

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 07:47 BST (UK) »

Hi Rhodie

One of my lot was also a soldier in the 58th Foot, and I know how hard it is to find out anything.

You'll find Charles Gales' name in a list of soldiers on garrison duty in Australia but the site has no other information on him: http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~garter1/surnames58th.htm (scroll down and click the letter 'G')

The Pestonjee Bomajee arrived in Sydney frm the UK on 28 Sep 1844 with "158 rank and file 58th Regt" - no names unfortunately: http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/events/2/113.htm#4111

The ships HMS North Star and Velocity left Sydney for NZ within a day of each other in March 1845 carrying in total 200 "rank and file 58th Regt" - again no names: http://www.blaxland.com/ozships/events/3/208.htm#7298

A little bit about the 58th's service in NZ:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/r-c/58th.html

If your Charles Gale was the Private in the 58th Foot, he does seem to have stayed! From the Daily Southern Cross, dated 2 March 1868:

Charles Gale, 'North Star,' 1845, English, labourer, 47 years, single, Church of England, committed February 11, by J.P., Auckland, for cattle-stealing.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&cl=CL1.DSC&e=-------en--1----0-all

The site is quite slow to use, but it's great that it is searchable. Search on Charles Gale and click the 'Exact phrase' button. Also check out the 12 February 1868 issue which has a report of the court case.

I'm afraid he was sentenced to two years imprisonment with hard labour!! (5 March 1868 issue)

I don't know where you go from here. Perhaps someone else knows if prison records are available.

Cheers
Koromo
:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Koromo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 08:07 BST (UK) »

Another thought - Charles Gale might have stayed in Australia, or gone back there after his NZ prison term. Check out the online BMD index for New South Wales - there are a few Charles Gales listed. Some other Australian states also have their BMD indexes online - damn shame that NZ doesn't!!

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages

:)
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Lewis: Llanfair Kilgeddin | Abergavenny | NZ
Stallworthy: Bucks. | Samoa | NZ
Brothers: Nottingham | NZ
Darling: Dunbar | Tahiti
Keat: St Minver | NZ
Bowles: Deal | NZ
Coaney: Bucks.
Jones: Brecon

Offline Rhodie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 11:43 BST (UK) »
I don't think this is my Charles Gale as he was born circ 1817 and in 1845 would have been in the army (if that is him).  It is just that since his bapt there is no further info about him, no death, not on census over here (UK).   ???

Offline Mk2_Zephyr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 11:51 BST (UK) »
So you don't know if the 58th guy is even your man ?

both the death and the court case guys are close to his age.

Offline DotBrennan

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 12:00 BST (UK) »
what about the Charles GALE, soldier in the 1841 census??

Offline Rhodie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
The cattle stealing guy was 47 in 1845 making him born 1795 also said a labourer.  The one in the 58th foot was still in the army then - discharged 1853, so cannot be him.  The one who died aged 50 in 1870 would have been born 1820 - granted only 3yrs out.  I will try and see what the TNA have on the 58th foot reg for the time period concerned.  But as I cannot find anything further on my one born/bapt 1817 leads me to believe he may have gone abroad, possibly with the army/navy etc.  Now this one in the 58th foot, I don't have any more info on him at the moment, ie his age etc, so it could be him??