Author Topic: WDYTYA Series 4: #4 Carol Vorderman  (Read 23572 times)

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA Series 4: #4 Carol Vorderman
« Reply #108 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 15:45 BST (UK) »
WHO ?

OK ... I know, watch it on Thursday and I'll find out !
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 21:46 BST (UK) »
I think the reason Daniel Davies was the first butcher in Prestatyn was probably because the place barely existed before the coming of the railways. The town didn't have a market until the late C20th.

I also think the reason they didn't go back before Daniel was that they couldn't with certainty - the name is so common in the area.  I know, I'm researching it. Chris

The earlier trade directories have Prestatyn listed under Newmarket.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:45 BST (UK) »
I think the reason Daniel Davies was the first butcher in Prestatyn was probably because the place barely existed before the coming of the railways. The town didn't have a market until the late C20th.

I also think the reason they didn't go back before Daniel was that they couldn't with certainty - the name is so common in the area.  I know, I'm researching it. Chris

The earlier trade directories have Prestatyn listed under Newmarket.

Martin Briscoe

Thanks Martin, that explains a lot.

Newmarket (now called Trelawnyd) is only a village  - though it must obviously have had a market at one time, it's never been more than a small place. If Prestatyn came "under" Newmarket it was presumably then a place of even less importance! Chris
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: Tuesday 09 October 07 10:31 BST (UK) »
The programme has not got caught up in all the claims of TV programmes faking things.

Daily Record

HE BBC are under fire again after faking scenes in a documentary about Carol Vorderman.

Film makers allegedly persuaded people to lie as they concocted scenes for the ancestry show Who Do You Think You Are?

In the programme, cameras followed Vorderman through north Wales and traced the scene of a photograph.

But it has now emerged that one important "surprise" scene and some other details in the show, broadcast on September 27 were staged.

Martin Briscoe

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline marianna

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 18:11 BST (UK) »
The Queen Victoria lady .
They said she was one of the first suffragettes . Does anyone have any details on her ?
She sounded very interesting . Agnes ?
Linden

Saw your query rather late in the day. The woman in question is Mrs Agnes Pochin - who when her husband was mayor of Salford in 1868 was one of the first women ever to speak from a public platform in favour of women's suffrage. For full details see her entry in Crawford, The Women's Suffrage Moment: a reference guide (published by Routledge)