Author Topic: The Mall, Thomastown  (Read 37383 times)

Offline Gargoyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Mall, Thomastown
« on: Thursday 27 September 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
Has anyone heard of "The Mall" in Thomastown, I have a photograph of the house that my Grandmother lived in.She was Born in Thomastown and named Ellen O'Neill born 1891.
Kelly, O'Neill, (Kilkenny) Haworth,Howarth,Prescott,Gaskell, Lister,Lester,Robinson,Harrison,(Lancashire, Cheshire, Staffordshire)

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: The Mall, Thomastown
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 August 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
I know the mall really well as i travelled up and down it every day from Grennan. My grand uncle Michael (Icy) Kelly lived there. All demolished now.

Offline Gargoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 August 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,
thank you for posting the item about the photo of "The Mall" you are the first person to get in touch with me about the photo.
My Grandmother Ellen Neill/O'Neill born 1891 lived there but I'm not sure when, I think it was the early 1920s. My Grandmother's parents were called John Neill/O'Neill and Elizabeth Kelly.
I have attached photographs of another family member with the horse, his name was Tom Murphy and I believe he was a race horse trainer.
I have been searching for a long time for information about my Grandmothers family with no luck.
Regards
Tony
Kelly, O'Neill, (Kilkenny) Haworth,Howarth,Prescott,Gaskell, Lister,Lester,Robinson,Harrison,(Lancashire, Cheshire, Staffordshire)

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 August 09 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, great to hear from you. My name is Kelly from Grennan which started at the end of The Mall. My father (RIP) was born there in 1913 and passed away in1995. His uncle Michael (better known as ICY) a blacksmith was the last person to live in that house. In fact they are both buried in the same grave. I will send a photo of same next time I visit Thomastown which will be next week. There is a family of O'Neills living about 200 yards further up the road from that house. Sad ly all the male members of this family are now deceased. Any idea what year the photos you sent me were taken?If you send me some more info I'll see what I can find out for you. I don't know if it's allowed on this site buy you might try to email Privately at; (*).  Looking forward to hearing from you.  Johnny

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Gargoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Johnny,
I have uploaded some more photos, I am unsure where abouts they are I beleive they are in the Thomastown Area the dates are around 1924 I think.
I have tried to send my Email Address on the Personal Messages.
Regards Tony

Offline Gargoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 August 09 22:44 BST (UK) »
More Photos

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 August 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, Got your photos. The two bridges are still there. Stone bridge is in the middle of the town but greatly modified. The iron bridge is exactly the same. Its about 1 mile from the town and is the main rail link from Dublin to Waterford. The house? Don't know (yet) but will find out. Don't know the people but will try to find out. Tried the email you sent but it wont work. Will try to get my email to you soon. Stay in touch, and if any more photos please send.   Johnny

Offline Gargoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
I have some more photos for you to look at.
Regards,
Tony

Offline Gargoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
More Photos