Author Topic: The Mall, Thomastown  (Read 37618 times)

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mall, Thomastown
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 December 09 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Knew Paud as we called him very well. I only lived half a mile further up the road from that family.

Offline ockie37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 January 10 01:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jakel.

Whats your name, as i will be telling Vonnie, and she will ask "what was their name"?

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 January 10 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ockie.  Just tell her my name is Johnny (Rita's brother). She will know who I am.

Offline ladywell05

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 January 10 05:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I was very interested in reading your discussions about Thomastown.  My Great Grandmother was born in Lady's Well, Thomastown, her name was Ellen Walsh she was born on 4 November 1850, (a b it before the people you were discussing).  Ellens parents were Thomas Walsh and Bridget Hennessy.  I have found out that they lived in lot 5 Lady's well Street.  Thomas' parents were Edward Walsh and Winifred Fitzgibbon, I have been unable to find out if there were any siblings for Thomas.
Thomas and Bridget were married in Callan on 6 October 1837. Ellen had sibling, some I have been unable to find any information on.
Edmund b 1838, Kilkenny
Honna b 3 June 1840 Kilkenny
Edmond b 21 Jan 1843 Kells
Mary b 16 March 1845 Graig na manach, Kilkenny
Patrick b 30 Jan 1847 Thomastown
Catherine b 25 May 1848 Thomastown
Ellen
Bridget b 13 May 1853, Thomastown
In 1854 the family sailed to Australia where 3 other children were born.
In 2005 I did a trip to Ireland and walked up Lady's Well Stree, but at that time I didn't know where about in the street they lived.
I have a photo of Lady's Well street so will attach for others to see.  If anyone can give me some information about this Walsh family or the Hennessy Family that lived in Callan it would be greatly appreciated.
Regards Dianne

Offline jakel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 January 10 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Referring to the pic of you walking up Ladywell St. I think you were looking in the wrong place. That street, although always known as Ladywell is not correct. In olden times, around the time frame you placed your relations, in that street was known as "Church Street". Not sure if that is the official name any more.Ladywell started at the corner at the top of your photo. An uncle of my father had a forge there. The Watergarden now occupies the site. It would be much easier to imagine Lot No. 5 in that area. There was a Walsh family living there until a few years ago. Sad now all are R.I.P. Hope this is of some help

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 February 10 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi im Kevin from Thomastown and still live here if you need any help on the history of the town please dont be afraid to ask.

Offline honeysucklerose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Ladywell, Thomastown, Kilkenny
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 24 February 11 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know anything about the Deegan family who lived (1901) at 12 Ladyswell Street, Thomastown and (1911) at 26 Newtown, Thomastown?   

Offline biggles5000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ladywell, Thomastown, Kilkenny
« Reply #25 on: Friday 25 February 11 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know anything about the Deegan family who lived (1901) at 12 Ladyswell Street, Thomastown and (1911) at 26 Newtown, Thomastown?   Margaret (Peg) Deegan was my late grandfather's sister, she married Jim Duffy and they lived at Ladywell in the 1920s at least up until 1960.   My grandfather was James Thomas (Jim) Deegan.  Would appreciate any information.

Hi honey im from Thomastown still live there the deegans are still around are living in ladywell. i can get pics of the street if you want. let us know.

Offline olien

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 20:53 BST (UK) »
Ellen O'Neill was my aunt. We knew her as Auntie Nell. My father Michael and his siblings also lived in the mall house shown. Give me an update on how far you've got and we' ll take it from there.