Author Topic: The Mall, Thomastown  (Read 37615 times)

Offline drumgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Mall, Thomastown
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 30 May 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

My mother was Mary O'Neill and her father was James O'Neil b 1896.  She was born in the house  in Grennan in 1923 (where the O'Neills still live) but moved to England when she was very young.  Grandmother was Johanna (nee Doyle).
Ellen would have been my grandfather's mother I think.

The man with the horse is Tom Murphy - he used to work at Mount Juliet I think.  He moved with his wife Betty, their son Jim, daugher in law Maisie and the two grandchildren Tom and Valerie to Birmingham in England and then on to Canada many years ago.  Tom lived to be 104 and was still playing golf in his 90s.  Sadly Jim passed away some years ago.

Thomastown is awash with our cousins and they are all very knowledgeable about the family history.

Offline dark rosaleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Drumgirl,
I was interested to read your remarks re Uncle Tom Murphy. Tom was married to my father's sister, Betty O'Neill and they had one son Jim.Tom was a good friend of my father and  my mother  corresponded withTom after Aunty Betty died. When my mother died I continued to send cards at Christmas etc until Tom died. I was in contact with their son Jim via e-mail and following his death continued on the link with Maisie, his wife who came from Waterford. It was my brother who posted the item with the Tetrarch connection. I think Tom had a taxi at some stage?

Offline drumgirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 08:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Dark Rosaleen,   Thank you so much for replying !   You have put some pieces in my jigsaw puzzle !  I met whom I called Aunty Betty and my great uncle Tom when they lived in Kidderminster , Birmingham , this must have been in the 1960's ,  although I never met Jim and Maisie , Uncle Tom talked of them a great deal. The Murphy's were quite a large family ,   Uncle Tom, told me many stories of his days as a young man looking after The Tetrarch and another horse , Tetratema !    Tom's father was called Jim Murphy and his mother Mary, I believe they hailed from Co Wexford ,  .  Tom had a further 8 siblings. Tom was the eldest , then Kathleen , Maggie , Ellen ( my grand mother)  but three brothers died as children, Arthur , George and James , them Mary ( known as Minie ) and Josephine was the youngest ,although I believe after Mary died , Toms father remarried and I think Josephine was a half sister , whom I never met ,   but   I met all my great aunts and Uncle Tom and Aunty Betty , they used to stay at my grand mothers quite alot, I loved them all to bits .  They are all deceased now of course ,  but they all lived to a ripe old age , mostly into their nineties !   The horse connection lived on,  Maggie ( Toms sister) married Tom  Delaney ,  they had a large family  and 4 of their sons , Paddy ( whom I knew very well and with great affection) Arthur , Jonny and I think George , became well known Jockey's of the 1950's ,  Paddy lived and worked on The New Market National stud, and I stayed with them often .  Paddy  Delaney died in December 2011 .  Just going back to the era of Tom  as a young child     I have found from the 1911 cencus that the Murphy Family lived at   dwelling 1  Shellumsrath  rural Kilkenny ,  Tom would was 11 at this time , from what I can find out from the census ,  it appeared to be a cottage dwelling with a cart house , a stable or 2 and a few outbuildings and a bit of land.  I am sure this place has long gone ,  but if anyone of your Neill (O'Neill) family can shed any light on where it was , or if it is still standing I should be most grateful.    My daughter Lisa , who is now 40 , also met Tom Murphy , she was around 6 years old when he last visited my Grandmother Ellen  before her death , and she was thrilled to see the photograph posted of him with The Tetrarch ,   .   An Aunt of mine ( Maureen) who was my grandmothers eldest child , kept in regular touch  with Tom also  after he went to Canada , and apparently he used to love to  sing to the senior citizens  at the homes he visited and was greatly admired and loved .   Thank you so much ,  There are so many wonderful memories for me relating to my child hood in the 50's and 60's  and meeting all these great aunts and uncles ,  I was born and live in Derbyshire in the UK ... 

Offline ChrissyWessell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: The Mall, Thomastown PILSWORTH family
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 22 September 13 05:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live in northern Canada and found this post with mention of the pilsworth family.  I am trying to research Robert Pilsworth 1806-1870 wife Ellen Bull, and William Thomas Pilsworth of Thomastown.  The family ran the mills there.  Any information on the Pilsworth family would be greatly appreciated.

Offline dark rosaleen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 22 September 13 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Chrissy,
Thank you for your question re Pilsworth family.
The following publications should be of interest to you as they contain lots of information re Grennan Mills and the Pilsworth family,
"In the Valley of the Nore" by Marilyn Silverman and P.H. Gulliver
"An Irish Working Class" by Marilyn Silverman

"Merchants and Shopkeepers" by Marilyn and P.H. Gulliver. all the publications refer to the Thomastown area.

Good Luck with your research.
Dark Rosaleen

Offline 8mk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Thursday 25 February 21 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I’m hoping you’re all still out there and can help.

My relative Michael Kavanagh lived on The Mall/Maudlin with his wife Elizabeth (nee Brien) and their children:
John 1824
James 1837
Michael Jr. 1840
Mary 1843
Anne 1847
Catherine 1852

Michael Jr. is my ancestor and he emigrated to the U.S.   I’d love to find out why and how he did so.
I don’t know what happened to John, James or Anne, and would like to know more about what became of them.

Aunt Kate (Catherine) wrote to Michael Jr. ‘s son in the U.S as did ‘Minnie’ (possibly Mary or Mary’s daughter, also Mary).

I don’t know if Kate married.

I know that Mary married Michael Westerman (shoemaker) and they had 3 daughters.  We also know that 1 daughter, Mary, married postman Paddy Forde and another Bridget, married Peter Briody.  We believe the Briody’s moved away (Peter was in WWII and the family may have moved to Cavan or the UK?).

I’d like to know how Michael and Elizabeth came to live on The Mall and where their people came from, as well as more about why Michael Jr left and what became of his other siblings.
Any help would be much appreciated.
(Photo of Michael Jr. attached)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Friday 26 February 21 09:35 GMT (UK) »

We also know that 1 daughter, Mary, married postman Paddy Forde and another Bridget, married Peter Briody. 

Mary Westerman married Patrick Ford on 29th October 1917 in Thomastown RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09763/5543976.pdf

Elizabeth Westerman married Peter Briody on 19th September 1905 in Thomastown RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10176/5702631.pdf

Birth of Michael Briody 29th June 1911
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qct/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo