Author Topic: The Mall, Thomastown  (Read 37612 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: The Mall, Thomastown
« Reply #72 on: Friday 26 February 21 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline 8mk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:12 GMT (UK) »

Offline 8mk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:25 GMT (UK) »

We also know that 1 daughter, Mary, married postman Paddy Forde and another Bridget, married Peter Briody. 

Mary Westerman married Patrick Ford on 29th October 1917 in Thomastown RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1917/09763/5543976.pdf

Elizabeth Westerman married Peter Briody on 19th September 1905 in Thomastown RC Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10176/5702631.pdf

Birth of Michael Briody 29th June 1911
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01qct/

KG

Thank you so much for all your links!  They provided info I didn't have and confirmed some connections I had guessed.  It seems that the Westermans kept in touch with my ancestor Michael (Mary, nee Kavanagh - head of household in your records- was his sister).  They continued to write to my great-grandfather James.  Two of the cards handmade by Minnie and Kate survive (one dated 1906).  Tracing them has been a bit easier as Westerman was unusual enough of a name for Thomastown. 

Offline 8mk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi!  I’m hoping you’re all still out there and can help.

My relative Michael Kavanagh lived on The Mall/Maudlin with his wife Elizabeth (nee Brien) and their children:
John 1824
James 1837
Michael Jr. 1840
Mary 1843
Anne 1847
Catherine 1852

Michael Jr. is my ancestor and he emigrated to the U.S.   I’d love to find out why and how he did so.
I don’t know what happened to John, James or Anne, and would like to know more about what became of them.

Aunt Kate (Catherine) wrote to Michael Jr. ‘s son in the U.S as did ‘Minnie’ (possibly Mary or Mary’s daughter, also Mary).

I don’t know if Kate married.

I know that Mary married Michael Westerman (shoemaker) and they had 3 daughters.  We also know that 1 daughter, Mary, married postman Paddy Forde and another Bridget, married Peter Briody.  We believe the Briody’s moved away (Peter was in WWII and the family may have moved to Cavan or the UK?).

I’d like to know how Michael and Elizabeth came to live on The Mall and where their people came from, as well as more about why Michael Jr left and what became of his other siblings.
Any help would be much appreciated.
(Photo of Michael Jr. attached)

Thanks so much to both of you who replied!

I'm still rather stuck on the Kavanaghs.  From the information I have, I'm fairly certain I have the right Michael & Elizabeth Kavanagh on The Mall.  Michael moved to the U.S. and Mary married Michael Westerman. I can't find any information on the others.

Does anyone know what became of the others?

I'm also interested to know where Elizabeth and Michael came from (and their ancestral genealogy if any exists, including the Briens).

Again, also would love to know more about the context and in particular stories of the family....why Michael emigrated, how Mary came to marry a shopkeeper.

I would note over the years Kavanagh has been recorded in the most interesting ways, but at that time: Kavanagh, Kavanaugh and finally Cavanaugh were all used.  Also Elizabeth Brien may also have been Bryan or Byrne.

Thanks!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 26 February 21 10:39 GMT (UK) »
We believe the Briody’s moved away (Peter was in WWII and the family may have moved to Cavan or the UK?).

Peter Briody was a policeman (probably constable in R.I.C.) at his marriage, and at the time of his son's birth, he was stationed in Tipperary. He was probably too old to have served in WW2, because he died in 1948, aged 75, at Pipe Street, Thomastown. The informant was his brother-in-law Patrick Forde. He was described as a RIC pensioner.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1948/04568/4207077.pdf

His wife Elizabeth, of Pipe Street Thomastown died in the County Hospital, Kilkenny in 1950.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1950/04530/4193818.pdf

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline 8mk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 26 February 21 11:13 GMT (UK) »
We believe the Briody’s moved away (Peter was in WWII and the family may have moved to Cavan or the UK?).

Peter Briody was a policeman (probably constable in R.I.C.) at his marriage, and at the time of his son's birth, he was stationed in Tipperary. He was probably too old to have served in WW2, because he died in 1948, aged 75, at Pipe Street, Thomastown. The informant was his brother-in-law Patrick Forde. He was described as a RIC pensioner.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1948/04568/4207077.pdf

His wife Elizabeth, of Pipe Street Thomastown died in the County Hospital, Kilkenny in 1950.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1950/04530/4193818.pdf

KG
Hi KG - you are a wealth of information!  The information I have I pieced together about 15 years ago from documents I inherited (only just getting back to it now), searches that were available at the time, and a few enquiries I made back then, some of which was anecdotal oral history from a lovely man (who was in his 90's and has since passed) that remembered the Briody family. He gave me quite a few facts that helped me put things together, WWII it seems was incorrect, but the connection to Paddy Forde, thanks to your help, is confirmed. :)

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Mall, Thomastown PILSWORTH family
« Reply #78 on: Friday 26 February 21 12:44 GMT (UK) »
https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/12317005/grenan-flour-mill-mill-street-grenan-thomastown-county-kilkenny

Link about Grennan flour mill.

Thanks for this interesting link!  Is there a direct connection or is this for background info?

Hi, I live in northern Canada and found this post with mention of the pilsworth family.  I am trying to research Robert Pilsworth 1806-1870 wife Ellen Bull, and William Thomas Pilsworth of Thomastown.  The family ran the mills there.  Any information on the Pilsworth family would be greatly appreciated.

Offline OPPO

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 10 June 21 03:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My Grandfather was Michael BRIODY, the son of Peter BRIODY and Elizabeth WESTERMAN.  Elizabeth, my Great Grandmother was the daughter of Mary KAVANAGH. Mary the daughter of Michael KAVANAGH and Elizabeth "Betty" BRIEN.

Peter BRIODY, (originally from Co. Cavan), served as a Constable in the RIC from 1891 completing 25 years.  He and Elizabeth WESTERMAN had two sons, Patrick and Michael.  The BRIODY who served in WW2 was my Grandfather, Michael BRIODY.  He served in the Irish Guards from 1934, took part in the 1940 Norwegian Campaign then volunteered for the Airborne Forces and became the RSM of the 1st Battalion, Glider Pilot Regiment. He served in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, then at the Battle of Arnhem, where he was wounded and awarded an MBE by the British Army, and the Dutch Bronze Lion by the Netherlands. He left the Army as a Major in 1972.

Happy to exchange information with any family members researching these branches. I've had a little more luck with the WESTERMAN family.

Thanks...

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 10 June 21 13:21 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I know that Mary married Michael Westerman (shoemaker) and they had 3 daughters.  We also know that 1 daughter, Mary, married postman Paddy Forde and another Bridget Elizabeth, married Peter Briody.  We believe the Briody’s moved away (Peter was in WWII and the family may have moved to Cavan or the UK?).

8mk was last online here in February, but if you make one more post you can then use the PM system to contact them.

My Grandfather was Michael BRIODY, the son of Peter BRIODY and Elizabeth WESTERMAN. 

The BRIODY who served in WW2 was my Grandfather, Michael BRIODY. 

Great information about your grandfather  8)
Have you applied for his service record?

KG