Author Topic: Lewes Martyrs  (Read 11523 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
Re: Lewes Martyrs
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 September 07 19:52 BST (UK) »

where do I know that name from or that name seems familiar......
I think as we study these small villages in depth you get to know most of the inhabitants or so it feels 

I know just what you mean...I've been up and down the Census in the East Sussex Villages so many times that they all feel like family  :D
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 07 November 07 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Can I correct what is a longstanding myth please? The martyrs were not held in the cellars of the Star Inn, now the Town Hall and there is no historical basis for any prisoners to have ever been held in the Inn’s cellar. I seem to recall that this was an advertising scam by the owner of this old coaching Inn in the Georgian period. They were more likely to have been held in the West Gate tower that was used in the 1550s as the town lock up. But it is a good story that has improved with the telling and retelling over the years! The old West Gate tower is a few hundred yards down the High Street, in the narrows by Pipe Passage.

Dr Graham Mayhew, a local historian, had met one of the ancestors of Derrick Carver some 20 years ago, when he was giving a talk on the Lewes history. I cannot remember all the details as it was over 15 years ago that he told a group of us when he referred to this in another talk he was giving.

Hope no one minds me correcting this!

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 November 07 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rod

I certainly don't mind your correction, to my mind it seems more likely and obvious anyway when you think about it.  West Gate Tower - Castle - stronghold, thank you for the correction.

I have done a bit of exploring of Lewes over the last few occasions I've been, mainly trying to find my way from car park to Record Office or SFHG library and some of the twittens have wonderful names and are very easy to get lost in!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Rod In Sussex

• RootsChat Senior
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 November 07 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Kerry,

I sometimes do a guided tour of Lewes for small groups of friends. There is so much histroy to see and so much that can be missed if you do not know the town. Send me a PM if you would like me to contact you next time I am doing one. If anyone else would be interested, I might even do a Roots Chat tour one weekend!

Rod
Jones, Ellis, Barker, Bates, Hackney, Cooper, Kirk, Eyre, Davies, Harris, Doney & Pearce.
Sussex, Cornwall, Lincolnshire, to name but a few!

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 08 November 07 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Rod

Perhaps we ought to take you up on that! 

Our county town is obviously full of history which looks interesting but I confess I really know very little about the history of Lewes and I only live 14 miles away.  For instance how did the current town evolve with all the higgeldy piggeldy twittens!

Kerry

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Paula42

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 09 November 07 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I started researching my family tree because I wondered if I might be related to one of the martyrs knowing that many of my family come from that way, myself having been baptised at Warbleton. Eighteen months later I have not found a link and do not think I will but researching the family tree has certainly turned into a full time hobby.

We used to go to many of the bonfires each weekend including Lewes but I never knew of the religious connections until many years later.

Paula
Burgess; Burchett; Piper; Tedham; Anscombe; Wilmshurst; in Sussex
Greening; Merret; Hanman; Heaven; Knight; in Gloucestershire
Parsons; Hill; Angell; Sage; Watts; Lovell; Hurford; Evered; Bull; in Somerset
Hunt; Mintrim; Hampshire
Warth/Worth; Germany, London, Hampshire
Tyler; London, Buckinghamshire

Offline sucram

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 18 July 19 23:27 BST (UK) »
found out recently that there is a family connection to margery morris and a relative in canada
buttery,nugent

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 August 19 19:48 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know a source that can confirm whether it was Alexander Hosman as at the beginning of this thread, or Alexander Hosmer?
Thanks, Nick
One-name study of the Gallett family

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk