Author Topic: Foulden/Mordington  (Read 34719 times)

Offline malcolm r

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Foulden/Mordington
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 11 June 11 18:57 BST (UK) »
Brilliant - I just joined this site today and you have responded so quickly: I am very grateful to you.  Some of these dates I had already but others are missing pieces in my ever expanding jigsaw.  I must take a trip to Foulden to see if either of these inscriptions still exists.  Many thanks,
Rae in Berwickshire and Roxburghshire (Kelso, Foulden and Lauder areas); Macdonald in Invermoriston; Baillie in Kiltarlity and Glenmoriston, Invernesshire; Neilson, Dickson and Gill in Lanarkshire; Dickson in Kirkintilloch, Lockie in Bonkle; Smith in Langton, Berwickshire and Spott, East Lothian; Cassy in Langton, Berwickshire

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
  • Koondrook-Barham Bridge over the Murray
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 31 July 11 19:46 BST (UK) »
I know it's been years since you posted this message, but if you still have the book and are still willing to do lookups, may I please ask for your help in finding the following:

James CURLE died 1860 Catch-a-penny
Mary CURLE nee CURLE died 1852 - perhaps Mordington?

If there are any surnames PAULIN especially Mary, James or Eleanor I would be grateful - thank you.
Adams - Dorset, Wilts, Austl
Bridges -London, Kent, Austl
Alloway - Wiltshire, Cornwall, Devon, Austl
Petherick -Devon, Cornwall
Fasham - Kent, Australia
Paulin -Northumberland, Scotland, Australia
Trimmer - Hampshire, Austl
Russell - Kent, London, Austl
Harrison - Westmorland, Northumberland, London, Austl
Lewin - London, Surrey, Austl
Ludgater - London, Surrey
Thornborough/Hadath - Westmorland, Cornwall, Devon, Lancs
Foster - London, Austl
Tant - Essex
Hillier - Dorset
Howieson - Scotland

Offline cavvytri

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 31 July 11 21:01 BST (UK) »
Hello there  :)....I checked for both lots of surnames in both Foulden and Mordington and there are none in either, however I have checked Ayton cemetery and there is one grave as follows :

Obelisk
Erected by Robert Porteous in memory of James Porteous his son who died 6.8.1848 aged 11 months. Also MARGARET PAULIN his wife who died 10.6.1873 aged 55 years. Also the above Robert Porteous died 18.8.1876 aged 54 years.Also MARY CURLE his mother in law who died 18.10.1852 aged 71 years. Also JAMES PAULIN her husband who died 11.5.1860 aged 77 years.
Amos,Burnside,Cowan,Hamilton,Lawrie,Reid,Skeldon,(East Lothian, Berwickshire)
Matthew,Tough,Sheriff,Guild,Gourlay,Cundall,Brown(Angus,Midlothian&Australia)
Dunn,Coombs,Dalrymple,Newman,Elliott, Embleton,Day
(Northumberland,Hampshire,Kent,Middlesex)
McPherson , Perth, Scotland
Cameron, Perthshire

Offline glenysjr

• RootsChat Member
  • Koondrook-Barham Bridge over the Murray
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 02 August 11 18:53 BST (UK) »
WOW!  Thank you so much for taking the extra time to look in Ayton - what a wonderful obelisk - and so full of detail.  Proves Margaret's parents which we needed to do.  You have been so very, very helpful.  I appreciate your help very much. 
Adams - Dorset, Wilts, Austl
Bridges -London, Kent, Austl
Alloway - Wiltshire, Cornwall, Devon, Austl
Petherick -Devon, Cornwall
Fasham - Kent, Australia
Paulin -Northumberland, Scotland, Australia
Trimmer - Hampshire, Austl
Russell - Kent, London, Austl
Harrison - Westmorland, Northumberland, London, Austl
Lewin - London, Surrey, Austl
Ludgater - London, Surrey
Thornborough/Hadath - Westmorland, Cornwall, Devon, Lancs
Foster - London, Austl
Tant - Essex
Hillier - Dorset
Howieson - Scotland

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 10 August 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
you simply gotta look after the stones for future generations to look at.
When you visit a cemetery or Auld Kirk yard, you carry with you a thin , as thin as possible "wall paper scraper" and a bottle of the "strongest bleach " you can find. Scrape all the algae, moss and accumilated muck
from all over the stone!! then douse in bleach and allow the bleach to do its work. Sandstone, will soak up bleach or strong detergent.

Allow to soak in. Return a few days or a week later and re paint the lettering. Then paint the stone all over with "Thompsons water sheild"..hey, it works. It might cost a few bob, but is worth it.

Aitch
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline aitchscot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 08 September 11 22:42 BST (UK) »
Can I ask you to check if there are any Dippies in Foulden Churchyard? May be spelt Deepie. There is a William I am partidularly interested in, but any would be great. Lochfoot

There are Dippies at Fogo

James Dippie died 27th April 1866 age 62
Daughter Agnes died 1st April 1860 aged 8 yrs
Wife Janet Johnston died 8th December 1881 aged 72

Cheers

Aitch
Aitchison, Greenlaw, Renton, Jenkinson
Berwickshire/ East Lothian areas.

Offline patschwartz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 02 October 11 22:45 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if there are any Gibsons or Nelsons listed in your book???

Offline Elizabeth Malcolm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 11:13 BST (UK) »
the name Landell(s) is really interesting.  The University College London university have a project on Slave ownership on the go and the Landells were slave estate owners in Jamaica - the estate is call Coldingham  same as the village in Berwickshire where Mark Landells married Margaret Brodie and had their only child Hannah who died aged 18 as per Foulden/Mordington gravestone.  The estate in Jamaica was called Coldingham and they received several thousand pounds in compensation on the cessation of the slave trade in 1834.

Offline squirejay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 05 March 16 18:49 GMT (UK) »
I have a HELEN LANDELS born Sept 1707 at Foulden who married Thomas Hopper on3 Dec 1753 at Ayton. She died on 19th Feb 1791.
Thomas was my 4 x  Great Grandfather, and died 12 mar 1773, father to James , b 19 Jan 1756 died 25th Jan 1820, he being father of Thomas, b 2 Oct 1800 died 28 July 1879 and the father of MARY 26 Aug 1849 died 20th Jan 1891, who married a JOHN ALEXANDER GIBSON ON 11th June 1875 in Greenlaw. John Gibson born in Duns in 1850 died in Morpeth on 2 Jan 1884, and after Mary died their two daughters (1877 & 1880) were orphaned.
I have Helen Landell's parents James Landell and Bess Hunter, but have no real proof, and it would be interesting to try and find out further information concerning the Jamaica estate side of the family.
I also have further connections with Jamaica through another line of the family tree, the NAPIERs from Edinburgh and some ancestors called WEST. Robert Napier married Julia Kennedy WEST, the dau of James Edward WEST and Anne Kennedy, he being the son of Hugh WEST and Ann Hall, and I think it was they who had the estate in Jamaica.
I also watched the programme on the Television about 18 months ago about the Slave Plantation Owners who receive the compensation from the Government in 1834.

regards
Squirejay
GIBSON- Berwickshire(Coldingham, Edrom) & Northumberland(Berwick-upon-Tweed & Morpeth)
NAPIER in Edinburgh from 1700
ROBSON- Roxburgh(Kelso, Hawick & Jedburgh):~
DODS or DODDS Hawick, Kelso)
ELDERS (Hawick/Borders)
HOPPER- (Greenlaw and area)
KENNEDY- (Roxburghshire, Lillesleaf)
BLACK (Lanarkshire before 1861, Edinburgh after 1861 census )